Author Topic: Don't try to ride Ditchling Beacon...  (Read 3622 times)

Don't try to ride Ditchling Beacon...
« on: 02 June, 2010, 01:19:43 pm »
...with the drag brake on as it makes it such hard work.

As part of the Tandem Club National Rally Monday long ride we took in Ditchling and Brighton then climbed out through Hove to the top of Devil's Dyke.

Just before The Beacon we had stopped to consult the directions - do we go through the village or cut through The Underhill?  I must have used the drag as a parking brake then and forgotten about it.   :-[

We managed the first third of the Beacon before being unable to go on, tried again after a rest but only managed a further 100yds.  I decided that we would walk the rest but on pushing off the bike wouldn't move!  Mrs R felt the drag brake and it was HOT!

With the brake off we sailed (well not really but it was a hell of a lot easier!) up the rest of the hill.

Nice downhill into Brighton where we stayed just long enough to leave as quickly as possible and then a loooong grind up to Devils Dyke - must have been 20-25 mins in the granny gear all told.

57ml by the end and very tired but happy.

R

Re: Don't try to ride Ditchling Beacon...
« Reply #1 on: 02 June, 2010, 01:50:13 pm »
Mrs Dan's ride on Monday crossed paths with a tandem club ride in Ditchling. She came back saying "I've seen our future". I'll keep quiet about this. ;D

« Reply #2 on: 02 June, 2010, 01:54:30 pm »
In or on Ditchling as we had a long chat to a lady MTBer at the top who was very keen to try tandeming.  Hubby didn't seem that keen though!

« Reply #3 on: 02 June, 2010, 01:56:58 pm »
Mrs Dan's ride on Monday crossed paths with a tandem club ride in Ditchling. She came back saying "I've seen our future". I'll keep quiet about this. ;D
:thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #4 on: 02 June, 2010, 02:00:57 pm »
In or on Ditchling as we had a long chat to a lady MTBer at the top who was very keen to try tandeming.  Hubby didn't seem that keen though!

She didn't mention talking to anyone, wasn't on an MTB and I wasn't with her - so probably not her!
It was also her first time up Ditchling and she's feeling very pleased with herself.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 02 June, 2010, 02:23:48 pm »
It's interesting how hobbies cross over - these chaps were at the rally, and using the tandems to carry radio gear to activate the Ditchling Beacon and Wilmington Hill (at least) as part of the amateur radio Summits On The Air challenge.

« Reply #6 on: 02 June, 2010, 03:00:42 pm »
these chaps were at the rally

I did see a stub aerial on a mast (attached to a car?) not many yards from our tent.  Can't remember the people tho'.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #7 on: 02 June, 2010, 04:19:24 pm »
This is a lesson you only need to learn once!
I did it on the climb out of Pangbourne on the Anfractuous (2006). I ached for at least a week -- and I'm not talking about the pain caused by the climb...!

Hope the TC Rally goes well. Looks like you've (now) got some cracking weather for it  :)

« Reply #8 on: 02 June, 2010, 07:41:49 pm »
Thaks Joth but I'm afraid we (or I am at any rate) are now back at work.   :(

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #9 on: 02 June, 2010, 10:58:44 pm »
But i'm still here, and it's a grand time. Very sunny today, a rest day. Meal out with friends this evening, kipping in my hammock tonight, velocio trophy and hill climb tomorrow.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #10 on: 12 June, 2010, 06:43:29 pm »
tune: "Evita"

Don't try to ride Ditchling Beacon
With your freakin' Arai drag brake on
Although your stoker
Moves legs like pistons
That hill's a joker
More height than distance.

Not especially helpful or mature

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 13 June, 2010, 12:47:30 am »
*applauds*