Author Topic: fromt wheel build - advice  (Read 2170 times)

fromt wheel build - advice
« on: 14 March, 2011, 09:12:43 pm »
Now, Hugh and  I  need  a  Schmidt to illuminate our  PBP plans. Tandem  wheels  have  changed since  George  Longstaffe's  time  and  the Santana  we  are  using  has  40  4 Cross  2/1.8mm spokes  on Mavic 719's.
I  have  a  36 Hole Schmidt and  am going to  build  up a  wheel but dithering  about spoke  choice - do I  go for  Sapin Strong (2.3/2.0) 3x or 4x, or
Sapin Race (2.0/1.8) 4x, all laced  up onto a Rigida Sputnik. The  order  goes into Spa soon...
Remember  the  hub is  70mm across so wheel bracing angles  will be  good, although there are of  course 4  less  spokes.

border-rider

Re: fromt wheel build - advice
« Reply #1 on: 14 March, 2011, 09:22:47 pm »
Either spoke type will be fine, but I'd avoid 4x on a Schmidt.  3x will give better angles at the nipple.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 14 March, 2011, 09:30:02 pm »
I would go for Race 3x.  Not convinced by Strong.  As MV says, 4x is contra-indicated for a large-flange hub.

If this is a disc hub, you might like the heads-in spokes to be the ones that point in the direction of rotation; these will have to transmit most of the braking forces and heads-in spokes are better braced.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3 on: 14 March, 2011, 10:11:21 pm »
Thanks  for the  advice, I will go for the Sapin race

« Reply #4 on: 14 March, 2011, 10:12:17 pm »
Sleepy, has some cruel person transposed the Ns and Ms on your keyboard?

;)

« Reply #5 on: 14 March, 2011, 10:21:10 pm »
If you ever  want  a new wheel Deano...... :)

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #6 on: 16 March, 2011, 07:19:27 am »
As MV says, 4x is contra-indicated for a large-flange hub.

Can't see why it wouldn't, but does that apply to 48 hole hubs too?
Mr Thorn built both our touring front wheels 4x. (And we haven't had any problems.... touch wood etc).

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 16 March, 2011, 08:22:21 am »
No, more spokes = more crosses to get the same relative angles between spoke and hub flange and between spoke and rim. Four cross on a large flangle 36 hole hub means the spokes leave the hub virtually tangentially and the spoke lies across the head of the adjacent spoke, inducing an extra bend and making it very difficult to replace a broken spoke.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #8 on: 16 March, 2011, 05:03:16 pm »
Bah I knew I should have listened harder in wheel building class at school.  ah, hang on a minute...
I'll get my local expert to explain the details of this to me some more.
Cheers!