Author Topic: Agonising tent decision  (Read 19683 times)

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
Re: Agonising tent decision
« Reply #25 on: 22 April, 2017, 01:36:27 am »
Bearing in mind that Go Outdoors claim they will beat any other on-line price by 10%...

They do, whenever I go in for anything I google it while there and usually save money.
eg £70 fleece, with card price was £35, I googled it, showed them the phone showing cheaper elsewhere and got it for around £18.

« Reply #26 on: 22 April, 2017, 04:46:55 pm »
I have filled in the appropriate form via Go outdoors vis the Xenon, will see what happens. Most annoyingly they were offering the Hubba Hubba at a very good price. The sale was supposed to be on until the 25th. The Hubba page disappeared for a day or two and has now reappeared with a price £60 more expensive.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #27 on: 22 April, 2017, 08:34:56 pm »
You are welcome to borrow our voyager xl to try. I've pitched it in wet weather several times and had no problems with a wet inner. I'm not sure any weight savings are worth the cost of a new tent (although would be happy to swap our nallo 2gt or voyager if you really want ;) )
Anyway, don't you need a tent with room for grandchildren?
Thank you for the offer! I may take you up on it, depending on developments.

So far as my emboldened bit is concerned, how could I possibly have been so thoughtless? Perhaps I will hang on to the 3GT after all.  :D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #28 on: 23 April, 2017, 09:49:43 pm »
Don't buy a wild country hoolie. Pole breakage is a risk with them. I had a hoolie 3etc and whilst a great tent in many ways one pole failed at the connector. Between us we've had maybe 10+ tents and this one was the first to fall on the poles. It also fell apart at several other places where poor stitching failed releasing the sewn in webbing strap. Fortunately enough straps lasted to get us home and I'm never camping without a pole repair sleeve with the very necessary duct tape.

This might be our bad luck with the poles but the poor stitching wasn't. Great tent though if yours doesn't fall apart.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #29 on: 24 April, 2017, 04:35:08 pm »
I was considering bidding on an EBay auction for a 15 yo Nallo 2. I thought I might bid £300, but then decided against. In the final minute the top bid increased from £265 to £331. Sought-after items, clearly!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #30 on: 24 April, 2017, 04:52:57 pm »
Yes, but at 15yo, I would expect it to need thoroughly reproofing
Getting there...

« Reply #31 on: 24 April, 2017, 04:55:28 pm »
Go outdoors came good on the Xenon. I  have 7 days.

« Reply #32 on: 24 April, 2017, 07:27:47 pm »

Are you bringing it to York? I would like to have a look at it.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #33 on: 24 April, 2017, 08:20:46 pm »

Can you reproof siliconed fabric?  Possibly the seams I guess.

« Reply #34 on: 24 April, 2017, 08:37:07 pm »

Are you bringing it to York? I would like to have a look at it.

Not seen one in the flesh myself as yet but does sound a good deal with Hubba as an alternative. I will need to make my mind up in the next day or two. If I do buy I will bring to York. I wll be selling an Octane 3 which is still in the bag unused, as I will not need both.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #35 on: 24 April, 2017, 09:41:50 pm »
I have a pretty wide choice from existing stock. The Terra Nova Space 2 is the lightest, and given that we are only intending to stay at one campsite, its faffy pitching won't be an issue. However, it the jolly old scirocco kicks off, it could be a bit unstable. The other choice is the good old Nallo 3 GT.

« Reply #36 on: 27 April, 2017, 10:22:20 am »
I would only use a Tarptent - expensive and you'll pay tax on the import, but fantastic size / weight ratio, the Stratospire will fit a bike in each porch!

« Reply #37 on: 27 April, 2017, 10:54:58 am »

Can you reproof siliconed fabric?  Possibly the seams I guess.

Appears that you can.

Might just give that a go on our Nammatj.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #38 on: 27 April, 2017, 11:16:24 am »
Appears that you can.

Might just give that a go on our Nammatj.

I have used Nikwave a few times on my aging series 1 Mountin Hardwear Trango2. It has never quite reproofed it enough. I was thinking of testing on the bag a diluted mixture of PVA and water. Is this what they put on the inside anyway?
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #39 on: 27 April, 2017, 11:35:03 am »
I was thinking of testing on the bag a diluted mixture of PVA and water. Is this what they put on the inside anyway?

I strongly suspect you want something other than PVA.

(If you're thinking of PU nylon, then that's a polyurethane coating.)

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #40 on: 27 April, 2017, 02:26:50 pm »
I was thinking of testing on the bag a diluted mixture of PVA and water. Is this what they put on the inside anyway?

https://dzjow.com/2012/06/18/how-to-re-coat-a-shelter/
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #41 on: 27 April, 2017, 04:38:30 pm »

https://dzjow.com/2012/06/18/how-to-re-coat-a-shelter/

That explains in depth about using some sort of silicone coating, and says that doing a PU coating should be similar, though he can't recommend specific products.

PVA is glue.

« Reply #42 on: 27 April, 2017, 07:21:09 pm »
Bought the Xenon, I couldn't justify the Hubba expense. At 2kg and incorporating a significant porch will do me just fine for the next several, hopefully.  :thumbsup: Just need to make sure the thing gets used often. As these things go a bit of a bargain at £242, I have seen it at £380. I should really be buying wall lights................................

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #43 on: 27 April, 2017, 07:29:03 pm »
My current experiments are with a wheeled suitcase and the Hilleberg. I may bring the Laser Space 2. It is lighter than the Hilleberg and has an enormous porch which would easily accommodate the suitcase and a Brompton. Floor space is pretty critical when you are spending all your in-tent time horizontal, but becomes less so when you can stand up.

« Reply #44 on: 27 April, 2017, 07:31:48 pm »
I empathise wholeheartedly with the being able to stand up. He of the night time cramps...... hell is leg cramp and mummy sleeping bag in low level tent.

« Reply #45 on: 27 April, 2017, 09:24:29 pm »
Bought the Xenon, I couldn't justify the Hubba expense. At 2kg and incorporating a significant porch will do me just fine for the next several, hopefully.  :thumbsup: Just need to make sure the thing gets used often. As these things go a bit of a bargain at £242, I have seen it at £380. I should really be buying wall lights................................
You need to join the ALC to increase your opportunities to get your money's worth  ;)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #46 on: 10 August, 2017, 02:54:33 pm »
I think you need a Nallo 2 gt......which just happens to be for sale at the moment!!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #47 on: 08 February, 2018, 12:16:09 am »
I am still contemplating this decision. This has been brought to the fore by the need for me to acquire a tent for a walking trip. I don't think I can spend a fortnight in a Wild Country Zephyros 1, even though it is lovely and light. I really need to look at a few tents in the flesh, as it were.

« Reply #48 on: 08 February, 2018, 09:12:09 pm »
Z packs? (Zee packs)

« Reply #49 on: 09 February, 2018, 08:59:57 am »
The first backpacking walk I did I used a MSR Carbon Reflex 2. Nice lightweight tent I didn't get on with it, found it awkward to get in and out, also my preference is for tunnel tents. The second walk I used a Vaude Ferret 2 UL which suited me much better. Both of these have now been sold as I shall not be doing any more such walks.

The tent Canardly had at York Rally was very light and looked okay. They do a lighter version without the extended porch. This may be worth a look for you.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home