Author Topic: Turntable & audio equipment photos  (Read 14064 times)

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
Turntable & audio equipment photos
« on: 14 April, 2011, 03:01:02 pm »
Put up your photos of your turntables here.

I'll start off, so here's my turntable, its a VPI Scoutmaster with a Denon 110 cartridge. Great TT, weighs 22kg!!! I bought it second hand here in the US. I'd like to upgrade the cartridge and get a phono stage at some point:

Playing it through my system which is a Rega Mira Phono Stage and JMLab Chorus 715 Speakers.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Turntable Photos
« Reply #1 on: 14 April, 2011, 03:30:53 pm »
<GULP!> That's amazing :thumbsup:

My Dual 505-2 Delux hardly deserves to be photographed.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Seineseeker

• The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #2 on: 14 April, 2011, 03:39:15 pm »
<GULP!> That's amazing :thumbsup:

My Dual 505-2 Delux hardly deserves to be photographed.

Thanks. It's cool! Fortunately VPI is US so is cheaper here than UK, and I got it S/H. The clamp in the middle is a really good feature in stabilising the record on the platter.

Stiil want to see nice pic of your Dual.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #3 on: 14 April, 2011, 03:48:31 pm »
I don't have many ambitions in life, but one of them was to own and enjoy a nice hi-fi component system like that. I have failed.

« Reply #4 on: 14 April, 2011, 07:45:36 pm »
My system with my old turntable (currently on ebay )

Nottingham Analogue Horizon SE & Tecnoarm, AT33PTG, Graham Slee Era Gold/Elevator, ATC SIA2-150, Spendor SP7/1, Copland CDA289, Audiolab 8000T

Apart from the tonearm & cartridge everything was 2nd hand or ex dealer dem.

The Orbe I bought earlier in the year,  sounds wonderful but I can't get used to the fact that it wobbles, and am paranoid I haven't got the suspension right.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

LEE

« Reply #5 on: 14 April, 2011, 08:36:59 pm »
Looks awesome...how many MP3s does it hold?

Seineseeker

• The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #6 on: 14 April, 2011, 09:06:00 pm »
I'm going to like this thread! Love the set up. Is that a chopping board it's sitting on? Nice big speakers.

« Reply #7 on: 14 April, 2011, 09:19:04 pm »
The speakers are limited by the fact that I live in a 4th floor flat and there is no lift... so big Tannoy's or ATC100's are out of the question!

Yes it's a butchers block chopping board, my friend Geoff Husband who reviews Hifi at TNT recommends I should put bubble wrap or an old inner tube underneath for more isolation , but I'm not that nerdy....

What are these MP3's of which you speak Lee ?   I've got a mixture of FLAC & OGG files on my Cowon thingy, but rarely listen to it as I really don't like earbuds.  On tour I take a little Sony shortwave for entertainment.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Seineseeker

• The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #8 on: 14 April, 2011, 09:45:38 pm »
The speakers are limited by the fact that I live in a 4th floor flat and there is no lift... so big Tannoy's or ATC100's are out of the question!

Yes it's a butchers block chopping board, my friend Geoff Husband who reviews Hifi at TNT recommends I should put bubble wrap or an old inner tube underneath for more isolation , but I'm not that nerdy....

My speakers are limited by the fact that they were the largest Mrs.SS would allow in the house  ;)
I like the butchers block / bubble wrap idea.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #9 on: 14 April, 2011, 09:51:04 pm »

I did a PhD in a small group that never had enough money to buy equipment, and we needed optical tables that were flat and minimised vibrations. We got the workshop to weld up frames from box-section steel, then placed a slab of slate on top, with a layer of bubblewrap between the two. Worked a treat!

LEE

« Reply #10 on: 14 April, 2011, 11:29:05 pm »

Yes it's a butchers block chopping board, my friend Geoff Husband who reviews Hifi at TNT recommends I should put bubble wrap or an old inner tube underneath for more isolation , but I'm not that nerdy....What are these MP3's of which you speak Lee ?   I've got a mixture of FLAC & OGG files on my Cowon thingy, but rarely listen to it as I really don't like earbuds.  On tour I take a little Sony shortwave for entertainment.

errr....
Nottingham Analogue Horizon SE & Tecnoarm, AT33PTG, Graham Slee Era Gold/Elevator, ATC SIA2-150, Spendor SP7/1, Copland CDA289, Audiolab 8000T

Andrew....be honest, you are , aren't you?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #11 on: 15 April, 2011, 10:23:03 am »
A (very staged) photo of my business partner doing what he does best, fettling Linn LP12s. 

I'll have to get a photo or two next time I am in our showroom - our main demonstration room has a fully specced LP12 (Ekos SE, Akiva) with the new Radikal and Urika bits (the names are getting sillier!), Klimax Kontrol, Klimax DS and a pair of Klimax 350A (everything with Dynamik upgrades where possible) on the two-channel side of it.

Does sound rather spectacular - as a £13-15K record deck should - especially when married into another £5-60K of electronics and speakers.

No wonder everything at home sounds uninspiring in comparison! 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #12 on: 15 April, 2011, 10:51:22 am »
My 20-year old Thorens/SME that I dug out of storage recently:

It's in a temporary location for now. It needs a proper setup as it's sounding less than completely good. Sadly, my nice Shure cartridge went open circuit on one channel so needs replacing. TBF, the Orthofon jobby I found in my box of bits isn't helping matters so needs replacing.

Downstream is a self-built battery powered phono pre-amp, Cyrus 3 amp (used as pre-only ATM), a custom power amp designed by a friend of mine who, like me, used to work in the audio industry and a pair of Ruark Talismans. The turntable sits atop a Denon CD player. I don't know where it fitted in the range but my friend and former colleague Martin Colloms said it was a pretty good machine. To the right of the Cyrus amp is a Cyrus FM tuner.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #13 on: 15 April, 2011, 01:59:14 pm »
there all very nice, I'm still using  a Pioneer PL12D from the 70s

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #14 on: 15 April, 2011, 02:23:07 pm »

My bro' has one of these. I acquired it FOC because the tonearm wiring was broken. SME kindly supplied me with some new cable and I got it running again. Very good budget tt :).
Pen Pusher

Seineseeker

• The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #15 on: 15 April, 2011, 04:18:07 pm »

Let's have a pic then.

« Reply #16 on: 15 April, 2011, 05:01:49 pm »

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #17 on: 15 April, 2011, 05:07:38 pm »
The dust and background clutter makes me too embarrassed to take a photo of my Dual at the moment, so here are some other people's.  I have the black version.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #18 on: 15 April, 2011, 05:18:20 pm »
This threads title needs changing to 'audio equipment '  :)

We could have pics for CD collections record collection, the lot

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
Re: Turntable & audio equipment photos
« Reply #19 on: 15 April, 2011, 05:21:16 pm »
Rega Planer 3

« Reply #20 on: 15 April, 2011, 10:30:13 pm »
I have the same Thorens TD160/SME*combo as Woofage with an Audiolab 8000A and Rogers Studio 1a speakers on QED Tristands.
I dug out 'Upstairs at Erics' last week and stuck it on and it blew me away!  Old kit it maybe, but it works well together.

*Actually mine is the B version in black and a tad tattier!

« Reply #21 on: 16 April, 2011, 08:09:29 am »

House is too messy to photograph the hifi. Deck is an LP12 (recently had springs / gromits, etc done) with an Ittok and a Dynavector DV10X5. Rest of is it a hi capped Naim setup, with a Naim CD player and Linn Kans.

I worked the summer after my GCSEs, and rather than blow it all on cheap cider,  I bought an LP12/Basik/K9/Nait/Kans with stands and a sound org support. Hifi stayed like that for about 15 years, so it was a pretty good buy. Got the upgrade bug when we lived by a bunch of great s/h record shops and was buying too much vinyl. Young kids and busy at work means it barely gets enough use. It mainly gets used for radio 4 through the squeezebox.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #22 on: 22 April, 2011, 05:44:31 pm »

Bonus points for identifying the LP  :)

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #23 on: 22 April, 2011, 06:07:56 pm »
Loving this thread

@ Pingu that LP is Sousie & the Banshees 'Kalidoscope'

Heres one of my amps from 1975 ? I don't use it very much. I'm a bit of a collecter of audio equipment. I think this is Leeks first intergrated amplifier as they always did valve amps. A valve amp is something I'll own one day maybe ?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #24 on: 22 April, 2011, 06:13:03 pm »
@ Pingu that LP is Sousie & the Banshees 'Kalidoscope'

Yes  :thumbsup: