Author Topic: Thieving bastards  (Read 3362 times)

Thieving bastards
« on: 03 August, 2012, 01:08:10 pm »
Somebody has stolen virtually all the Garlic that I had harvested and was drying in the greenhouse - about 2 sack-fulls,  >:( >:( >:(
The 'street value' would be about £40, but it also means I have lost 'seed' garlic for next years crop.  >:( >:( >:( >:

They also dug some carrots and stole produce from other allotments.  >:( >:( >:(

I hope their penis rots off and falls in their dinner.  :demon:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Theiving bastards
« Reply #1 on: 03 August, 2012, 08:59:02 pm »
Gits >:(
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 03 August, 2012, 09:32:45 pm »
I went on Holiday and when I came back all my cherries had gone. Wasn't birds because they leave the stalks on the tree. Haven't heard yet if any other plotholders have lost anything.

« Reply #3 on: 03 August, 2012, 10:08:16 pm »
I'm sure it was a bird when I lost my cherry.  ;)

red marley

« Reply #4 on: 03 August, 2012, 10:38:26 pm »
We lost all the cherries on our tree to squirrels about a month ago. No stalks, no stones, just the distant sound of sniggering rodents.

Sorry to hear about your Garlic WJ. There's something extra mean about nicking home grown veg because of all the patient effort that goes into preparing the plot and tending to the little fellas.

« Reply #5 on: 08 August, 2012, 07:13:46 pm »
Bastards have been back & taken rhubarb (from mine & neighbour's allotment, tomato plants from my allotment (in pots) potatoes, carrots & onions from neighbour, and leeks & beans from another.  >:( >:( >:(

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #6 on: 05 September, 2012, 10:03:06 am »
It's the were-rabbit!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #7 on: 05 September, 2012, 10:16:23 am »
It's taken you a while to work that one out, but you've made more progress than the old Bill.

I've found out that the Parish council has plans to turn some of the allotments for station car parking and I suggested at the time, that from the bizzare types and quantities of the veg nicked, that it could be someone, working for the council, causing disruption.  >:(

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #8 on: 29 October, 2012, 10:22:48 am »
Its always an inside job with allotment theft.
The most likely culprit is the person on the allotment next to yours.
The solution to your problem is to make sure to take their crop first I have always found. Pre-empt the problem.
I have had a very successful allotment operating on this basis and we hardly buy any veg - pretty much self sufficient, and we have such a wide variety of veg too.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: 29 October, 2012, 10:28:45 am »
Wobblers, you clearly need a ghillie suit.  Suitably camouflaged, you can stake out your plot and wait for the miscreants with your trusty MkI SHUVEL.

Anyone who looks a bit shifty can then be dealt with in a manner likely to win the approval of the allotment committee  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #10 on: 29 October, 2012, 10:31:54 am »
I suggest growing some ridiculously hot chillies. That'll learn 'em.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #11 on: 29 October, 2012, 01:06:16 pm »
At this point I'd be leaving picolax laced bait veg in my shed.

« Reply #12 on: 29 October, 2012, 08:07:56 pm »
Wobblers, you clearly need a ghillie suit.  Suitably camouflaged, you can stake out your plot and wait for the miscreants with your trusty MkI SHUVEL.

I already has an ex-military Goretex-a-like camo outfit.  :demon:

I suggest growing some ridiculously hot chillies. That'll learn 'em.

I've already got some in the greenhouse at home.

If they are going to use the 2 sackfulls of giant garlic, I suspect they'll love the scorching hot mini chillies.   ::-)
There is only parsnips, carrots & leeks in crop now, and with the heavy clay soil being virtually waterlogged, I doubt we'll be having any more produce nicked.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Thieving bastards
« Reply #13 on: 29 October, 2012, 08:12:53 pm »
This is a common problem on some allotments depending on their location; where I grew up the allotments ended up at the bottom of a large council estate (Lahndon overspill) and the locals simply raided the plots for dinner.  Potatoes were too much effort for them, though.  It's all a bit nicer these days.

I can't see allotment theft becoming less prevalent as food prices go up.  It's less demeaning than going to a foodbank and the chances of actually being caught and convicted are vanishingly small.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Re: Thieving bastards
« Reply #14 on: 29 October, 2012, 08:25:05 pm »
Previous thefts from the allotments have mainly been machinery. One of the tennents at the far end has a CCTV camera installed since his rotovator & mower were nicked a couple of years ago. They were found in a vehicle in a neighbouring village and he got them back - the rotovator even had new parts fitted.