Author Topic: Zapped by drugs  (Read 2329 times)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
Zapped by drugs
« on: 28 June, 2012, 07:50:43 pm »
I've just woken up from a four hour kip brought on, I think, by an anti-hystamine. Never taken those before and never will again (unless I have trouble sleeping!). It was amazing - I was so yawny and sleepy that I could barely stand up or stay awake.

I hope no one drives after taking that stuff.

Only took them because I must have been bitten by a creature - woke up to find my hand swollen up and hot. No sign of a bite, though.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Zapped by drugs
« Reply #1 on: 28 June, 2012, 07:57:24 pm »
You can get non drowsy ones you know!
Some of the OTC sleeping pills are also marketed as anti histamines....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 28 June, 2012, 08:43:18 pm »
Piriton is even prescribed as a sleeping potion for wee bairns, because it's so safe and drowsy.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #3 on: 28 June, 2012, 08:44:13 pm »

I think it's actually the other way round.  Some older anti-histamines are now being marketed as sleeping pills.

Back in the '60s by dad fell asleep at his desk for a similar amount of time having taken one of the early hay fever tablets.

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 28 June, 2012, 08:56:44 pm »
You can get non drowsy ones you know!

Non-drowsy ones like cetrizine and loratidine are good for hayfever, but I find good old-fashioned chlorphenamine far more effective against dog wheeze, beastie bites and skin irritation.

Of course, if the hayfever's keeping you awake, then you can kill two birds with one stone...

I think, like most things, how much drowsiness you get varies greatly from person to person.  A normal hayfever-level dose of chlorphenamine will barely affect me unles I'm already tired, but the higher doses I took after the OMG-my-hand's-going-to-explode horsefly incident last year had me zonked out all day...

Pancho: If your hand starts to look like it might be infected, see a GP.  Even if they decide it's just a severe allergic reaction and laugh at you while being medically wrong, it's probably better than the alternative.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 28 June, 2012, 09:06:59 pm »
Loratadine for me.  I was pleasantly surprised that a pack, which used to be the outrageous price fo £7 for a week's supply (seven tiny tablets on a large raft) is now £2.85 :thumbsup:
Getting there...

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #6 on: 28 June, 2012, 09:12:32 pm »
Funnily enough, I have just had this conversation at work.  The old stuff used to knock me out quite effectively and if alcohol was foolishly taken concurrently, actually rendered me almost comatose. (i terrified a friend once when i was 15 or so. She really thought I was dead and called an ambulance). The  modern ones seem to have a less drastic effect.  However, my energy levels still seem to be lowered once I start taking the neoclarityn I am prescribed which I believe is a brand of loratidine.  I decided to stop taking it for a couple of days, I was feeling so sluggish and I do feel much better, energy wise, though my eyes and nose have been streaming and itching like mad.  I always get a nasty wheeze with my hay fever, too, not full blown asthma, but it made the little climb up Greenwich Park on the singlespeed tougher than usual this morning.

« Reply #7 on: 28 June, 2012, 09:16:11 pm »
Funnily enough, I have just had this conversation at work.  The old stuff used to knock me out quite effectively and if alcohol was foolishly taken concurrently, actually rendered me almost comatose.

that's my strategy for long-haul flying - couple of beers + 'drowsy' antihistamine = 5 hours kip.  I'm on non-drowsy ones 357 days / year because of animal allergies.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 28 June, 2012, 09:32:29 pm »
A couple of Piriton came in handy on a camping trip a couple of years ago, for the simultaneous treatment of midge bites and incessant cockerel noises in the adjacent field.   ::-)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #9 on: 28 June, 2012, 09:35:11 pm »

I think it's actually the other way round.  Some older anti-histamines are now being marketed as sleeping pills.

Back in the '60s by dad fell asleep at his desk for a similar amount of time having taken one of the early hay fever tablets.

If I hadn't left the office early, I'd have had my four hours asleep at my desk. I was having micro-sleeps as it was - and pretending to read some papers. I didn't realise it was the pills until later - I thought I was really ill!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 28 June, 2012, 09:47:26 pm »
There was a recent thread recommending a solution (liquid) for hayfever.  What was that again?  Benatol?  Bendy Benedict?

The active ingredient in Nytol and Boots Sleepeze is an anti-histamine: Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride.  Works every time for me, but note that it's meant only for temporary use.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

LindaG

« Reply #11 on: 28 June, 2012, 09:56:28 pm »
We also had a similar conversation at work. Hydroxizine is the way to go if you really want the drowsies apparently.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 28 June, 2012, 10:01:41 pm »
IRTA hydrazine, which I suppose would make you drowsy.  Eventually.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #13 on: 28 June, 2012, 10:22:57 pm »
I think, like most things, how much drowsiness you get varies greatly from person to person.

And also on how often you take them.  For example: "Diphenhydramine has been shown to build tolerance against its sedation effectiveness very quickly, with placebo-like results after a third day of common dosage" - unfortunately for those taking it as a sleep aid.  And a risk of increasing the dose is death.  :(

I'm scaring myself witless!

(Quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diphenhydramine)

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #14 on: 28 June, 2012, 11:51:25 pm »
Loratadine for me.  I was pleasantly surprised that a pack, which used to be the outrageous price fo £7 for a week's supply (seven tiny tablets on a large raft) is now £2.85 :thumbsup:
If you've already paid that much you probably won't appreciate me linking to this (need to add on P+P though, so buy a couple years worth).
I am nothing and should be everything

« Reply #15 on: 29 June, 2012, 12:01:32 am »
My problem isn't the drowsiness - it's the lucid dreaming which is so real I spend days uncertain as to whether I'm awake or asleep. I ended up very confused (and in a lot of trouble at work) because I kept thinking I'd done stuff which I hadn't.

I gave up taking the pills and just learned to ignore the sneezing after that.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 29 June, 2012, 12:07:47 am »

You could still use steroid nasal spray, thobut?

« Reply #17 on: 29 June, 2012, 07:43:46 am »

You could still use steroid nasal spray, thobut?

Fortunately, working and living on Kentish farms for a number of years seemed to make my hayfever much less severe, so I don't need to use any medication these days - just carry a hankie on the few bad days.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #18 on: 29 June, 2012, 08:00:44 am »

Teso Hayfever Relief (containing Loretadine) 14 tablets = £1.00   :thumbsup:

Even cheaper than Boots (which is 99p for 7 tablets)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #19 on: 29 June, 2012, 08:22:22 am »
Posted by: Regulator   
Tesco(?) Hayfever Relief (containing Loretadine) 14 tablets = £1.00

I currently take Piraton for relief from Rape seed allergy but these are much cheaper, would they be as effective? 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #20 on: 29 June, 2012, 11:57:33 am »
Well, that's as maybe, but I don't use Loretadine, and I prefer to support my local independent pharmacist.  Besides, unlike most of London, we don't have a large Tescos within three miles.
Getting there...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #21 on: 29 June, 2012, 02:21:35 pm »
Wilkinsons have loretadine at not-too-outrageous prices too.