Author Topic: Odd losses of strength mid-ride  (Read 1709 times)

Odd losses of strength mid-ride
« on: 03 September, 2018, 08:34:08 pm »
In late 2013 I was diagnosed with depression. That in and of itself has been a medical adventure, although I seem to be on the mend, apparently because of CPAP [1]. However, one's state of cycling fitness is not improved by a state of mind that makes one want to hide under the bedclothes all day and eat junk food, especially if the doctor tries Mirtazapine whose side effects include making you sleepy and crave lard.

As such I would reasonably expect to be considerably slower and more easily tired than I used to be, and I am. (Additionally, my overall fitness has been on a slow downward trajectory since 2004-ish when I stopped commuting 110 miles a week and started becoming a middle-aged man).

However, additionally I'm unpredictably extremely weak, particularly uphill. I know a weak rider will struggle more uphill, but (as the best example) it struck me on the Dun Run three? years ago that I kept seeing the same riders because I would pass them on the flat but as soon as the road turned uphill I'd be miserably struggling at walking pace and they'd shoot past me again.

Also, it comes and goes. A friend of mine and I rode the Sightseer this weekend. We got back with only half an hour to spare, because he is consistently slightly slow and I am sometimes incredibly slow - if you ride together of course this makes you slower than either rider alone. Food helps sometimes, but I don't think it's the bonk because I am all too familiar with what the bonk feels like. I joked about this year's Dun Run that drinking a pint of beer every hour kept me going, but coincidence is not causation so I don't know if it was sheer murder after 80 miles _because_ the pubs had shut.

It may be pertinent that about a year ago I was also diagnosed with hypertension which has since been treated with medication; but this weird loss of strength has been going on longer than that and has been pretty constant throughout.

[1] As a side note here, because it may be relevant to other sufferers, in late 2016 a friend of mine at the MRC sent me a copy of a paper to the effect that 90% of patients with depression and OSA report improved depressive symptoms if their OSA is treated. I snored like a fiend, but that's not the same as OSA; got tested, yes, I do have OSA. The NHS then issued me a CPAP machine with astonishing rapidity, and I've been sleeping in Darth Vader cosplay since.

If it works this is extremely attractive as a treatment for the Black Dog since it doesn't fuck with your brain chemistry and also OSA is horribly bad for you in many other respects. If nothing else it has certainly improved my health in that the odds of C murdering me in my sleep are greatly reduced.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Odd losses of strength mid-ride
« Reply #1 on: 03 September, 2018, 08:47:47 pm »
Something in me scrams 'What is this man's potassium?'

Are you on blood pressure medicines which lower potassium?

Empirically, I'd suggest a banana/orange juice/tomato juice when you're feeling weak but feel you should get your minerals and thyroid checked.

Suggest you see your GP.

« Reply #2 on: 04 September, 2018, 09:12:19 am »
What Helly said - and try sucking on a boiled sweet.

It helps stimulate the release of carbohydrate, essential for the body to utilise fats.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3 on: 04 September, 2018, 09:16:56 am »
B12?

My understanding is that B12, whilst not directly involved in the energy pathways, indirectly facilitates lots of other fucntions, so low B12 can lead to things like anaemia, tiredness etc. I'm no doc, but as Helly says, GP, Blood tests.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #4 on: 04 September, 2018, 10:01:20 am »
20mg Lisinopril daily for about a year. "Your doctor may check your kidney function, blood pressure, and the amount of electrolytes (e.g. potassium) in your blood at regular intervals." "Tell your doctor if you are taking ... Potassium supplements or <other things that increase potassium>".
5mg Amlodipine daily for about a week. No mention of potassium in the leaflet. It does say "Before taking Amlodipine tablets, tell your doctor if you ... are giving this medicine to a child under 18 years of age", but if I did give it to a child, how could I take it? I may be overanalysing.
Empirically, I'd suggest a banana/orange juice/tomato juice when you're feeling weak but feel you should get your minerals and thyroid checked.
Suggest you see your GP.
Thanks for the advice (save the tomato juice; tomatoes make me very nauseous [1]). I should indeed see my GP about this. I think this has just snuck up on me and become the new normal; it was easy to attribute it just to the lack of exercise owing to depression, but writing in this thread has made me realise something else is up.

[1] This is a weird head thing. I can eat pizza because I can't see the tomato and so I can pretend it's not there.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 04 September, 2018, 01:17:40 pm »
They say tomatoes are full of Good Things and may help prolong tour life.

My Dad hates tomatoes and avoids them.

He is 88. Suggest vegetables, bananas and fruit juice.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 04 September, 2018, 02:40:09 pm »
More musing about potassium (and boy, would I LOVE to know your potassium level when you're feeling weak!)

Insulin drives sugar and potassium into the cells. It's actually used, with glucose to treat dangerously high levels of potassium in some patients.

Maybe you would be best to avoid causing an insulin 'spike' by going easy on the simple carbs.

Maybe my fruit juice suggestion is less than useful cos SUGAR.

Shame about the tomatoes!

Veg smoothies and carrot juice are not as practical...

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #7 on: 04 September, 2018, 02:49:54 pm »
20mg Lisinopril daily for about a year. "Your doctor may check your kidney function, blood pressure, and the amount of electrolytes (e.g. potassium) in your blood at regular intervals." "Tell your doctor if you are taking ... Potassium supplements or <other things that increase potassium>".

Re: potassium and lisinopryl, I also take lisinopryl, originally at the same dosage as you, but now at 20mg twice daily.  My blood test results always show high (but just in the range, or on the border of it) potassium.  For that reason,  I've tended to avoid the higher potassium foods when I can (avocados, bananas...).

I'd definitely echo the "see the GP and get a blood test" advice.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 04 September, 2018, 03:23:17 pm »
See if you can get calcium and magnesium levels checked.