Author Topic: Flygskam  (Read 1255 times)

Martin

Flygskam
« on: 08 August, 2019, 04:53:48 pm »

Flygskam is a Scandinavian word meaning shame of flying.

quite surprising results coming from here

https://www.carbonfootprint.com/calculator.aspx

just entering flights train and car I get (see below)

:-[ but apparently average for the UK

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Flygskam
« Reply #1 on: 08 August, 2019, 05:39:41 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Martin

« Reply #2 on: 08 August, 2019, 06:58:18 pm »
I'll check the train calculation it's a US website I think (didn't have many European airports I used Gatwick - Barcelona 6 return flights a year) Having said I live in UK it now does national and international rail

Flights 6 return within EU
1.12 tonnes of CO2e
Car 5000 miles pa
1.35 tonnes of CO2e
Bus & Rail 76 miles commute 5 / 7 x 46
1.35 tonnes of CO2e 
Total = 3.83 tonnes of CO2e

« Reply #3 on: 08 August, 2019, 09:11:08 pm »
I'm expecting to take one return flight this year. That'll be the same as all my rail use. But dwarfed by my guess at half-shares on our car use, and I don't think of myself as driving all that much. I've not worked out the house and secondary things.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4 on: 08 August, 2019, 10:07:15 pm »
I'm not going to put mine in, it will be truly shameful, particularly when I've just booked one leg of a flight as long-haul first class becasue it was cheaper than the business class that the client will pay for.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #5 on: 08 August, 2019, 11:30:08 pm »
Mine must be quite low.

I can't drive. Walk to work and I tend to cycle if I have a journey to make under 50 miles, so not too many trains. I get the tram if I need to go into the centre. Veggie diet.

I flew to Munich this year, only flown 2 other times in the last 10 years both to Amsterdam. I've caught ferries to The Netherlands twice in that time as well.

My biggest detractor would be that I live alone in a 2 bed house.

Even throwing wild numbers at the public transport my total is 0.54 tonnes of CO2e for transport.

Martin

« Reply #6 on: 09 August, 2019, 09:44:27 am »
TGatwick to Stockholm return

0.25 tonnes air
0.05 tonnes rail

And the rail distance is definitely not as the crow (or airliner) flies

No idea how long train would take but I expect it would involve an overnight stay somewhere which would add 0.09 tonnes

« Reply #7 on: 09 August, 2019, 10:35:54 am »
I'll check the train calculation it's a US website I think (didn't have many European airports I used Gatwick - Barcelona 6 return flights a year)

Most are there, they've just mangled the names somehow so search by city isn't reliable. The airport code or its "other name" may work.

e.g. Can't find Montpellier airport if I search for "Mont" but if I put MPL in it has "Mediterranee" (which is its other name).

2 return flights for me (skiing) and one down to Cornwall (oddly the flights were half the cost of the train[1] for this one).

I'm still ~7.5 ton of CO2 and the bulk of that is in the secondary calculations (6.47t); more than 1t of CO2 for each of food/drink, furniture, hotels/restaurants/pubs, banking/finance.

Going to Annecy again this year, all by train and we're done with flying down to Cornwall now they've moved the flights to LHR from LGW.

1. Second trip down we got the cheap train tickets so it was only £70 return for 3 of us.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Martin

« Reply #8 on: 09 August, 2019, 12:53:49 pm »
Ok, so I'm a sinner, let's look at how I can offset without paying someone to plant trees or donating to an overseas project so they don't cut them down to raise cattle or king prawns;

staying vegetarian 0.3 tonnes
Not buying clothes until the old ones wear out 0.3 tonnes
Keeping my car instead of buying a newer one or selling it 1.43 tonnes (an extra 1.35 tonnes if I sell it)
Not buying new bikes 0.23 tonnes
Not commuting to work (which I can only do in London so it means either being jobless or moving back up there) 1.35 tons