Author Topic: routability of various openstreetmap on etrex 30  (Read 1277 times)

Euan Uzami

routability of various openstreetmap on etrex 30
« on: 04 September, 2012, 09:41:48 am »
Having tried openstreetmaps on my etrex 30 I am extremely pleased with it - clear rendering all in pastel colours without anything too vivid which enables me to see a track in complete clarity - I've been using black as the track colour so far but sure others would work equally well.

The one problem is that it won't route by road. When I try, it just displays 'route calculation error' and won't proceed. This is using the ones downloaded from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl - which claims to be routable.

I've tried the ones from AndyG's website and it doesn't recognise those at all - although my old etrex vista does.

Anything I could potentially be doing wrong?

Also - if I have multiple *.img files on there, am I correct in thinking that (a) it will recognise any *.img file, not just gmapsupp.img, and (b) it doesn't matter if they overlap? And is this the case with the 'tiles' version of AndyG's data, and if so how do I know which tile corresponds to which area of the country? (their filenames seem to be numeric).

I haven't tried downloading the raw osm from openstreetmap and compiling it using mkgmap, which is the next thing I'm going to try - I intend to do this anyway as I want to experiment with removing needless waypoints such as bus stops which will make town centres look even clearer.

Re: routability of various openstreetmap on etrex 30
« Reply #1 on: 04 September, 2012, 12:49:03 pm »
I don't had the threads to hand, but wrt recognising maps, the first thing is to make sure you've synced/ejected the media correctly (safely remove hw on windoze) - I've certainly run into trouble by not doing so. The other thing I've had trouble with, using the talkytoaster maps earlier in the year, was trying to use standalone contours with an uncontoured map - can't remember the exact solution, but I think I've simply got contoured and uncontoured maps on there now. The filenames were all distinct, but I had a theory (after loading the .img files on a separate tool) that there was some sort of name clash.

One difference between the new etrexes and the older ones/dakota/oregon (despite being similar to the last two in other respects) is that you can't turn off layers within the same file. So for example, the talkytoaster maps have a version with a contour layer. On the other devices you can turn the contours on/off directly, on the new etrex you can't - it has to be a separate file. (As I understand it..)

I haven't used the openstreetmap.nl UK maps, but I did recently download/install the set for Austria. I didn't actually need it for autorouting (being mostly on foot and having a paper map anyway) but I did let it do its stuff on a few occasions - seemed to work ok - just found a point via the map and used route on road for time or distance, and it recalculated as I changed my route.

I have had it fail to route on one or two occasions (driving) but once kicked off again after getting on some bigger roads it routed ok.