Author Topic: How often do we see bargains like this?  (Read 2451 times)

How often do we see bargains like this?
« on: 05 April, 2009, 10:00:31 pm »
This rather tasty Longstaff seems to have changed hands for little more than pocket money.  I'd been watching it since it was listed at £450 but then decided, with 20 minutes to run, that it was going to end in a frantic bidding war and that another one would turn up sooner or later.

Was I very foolish to miss this opportunity, or do machines like this turn up reasonably frequently?  I ask with some seriousness, as a tandem is on the R household's long-term shopping list.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: How often do we see bargains like this?
« Reply #1 on: 05 April, 2009, 10:04:34 pm »
It's an unbraced frame design (what was George thinking of?).  You're better off without it, unless both riders are weak as kittens.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 05 April, 2009, 10:05:38 pm »
That's not a Longstaff. George would have fallen over laughing if he'd seen that. Presumably Longstaff have re-painted it at some time.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 05 April, 2009, 10:07:56 pm »
So the seller's misrepresenting it?  Not all that unusual on fleaBay.

Timing chain's a bit slack.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #4 on: 05 April, 2009, 10:10:56 pm »
That's not a Longstaff. George would have fallen over laughing if he'd seen that. Presumably Longstaff have re-painted it at some time.

I'm not sure about that. I've seen quite a few 'Longstaffs' of a similar design, all beautifully built and painted as you would expect if they were genuine.

« Reply #5 on: 05 April, 2009, 10:15:51 pm »

I'm not sure about that. I've seen quite a few 'Longstaffs' of a similar design, all beautifully built and painted as you would expect if they were genuine.

Hmm. Unless he was feeling the pinch and felt the need to churn out cheap frames. Having listened to him talking about how tandems should be built, I find it difficult to believe.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #6 on: 05 April, 2009, 10:17:35 pm »

Hmm. Unless he was feeling the pinch and felt the need to churn out cheap frames. Having listened to him talking about how tandems should be built, I find it difficult to believe.

Without thinking too hard I know of at least four five such tandems.

« Reply #7 on: 05 April, 2009, 10:30:24 pm »
I did wonder about that huge quadrilateral at the back but rather assumed the builder would have know what he/she was doing. 

Hey ho.  I'll keep looking.

« Reply #8 on: 06 April, 2009, 10:26:19 am »
Look at the detailling around the bottle bosses and seat stay bridge - you don't get that on cheap frames.   It even has GL embossed on the fork crown!