Author Topic: Transporting a tandem  (Read 4100 times)

Transporting a tandem
« on: 30 July, 2008, 12:21:00 pm »
Ive just won a tandem on e bay and need to get it home.Its about 30 miles away,will it go in a Mondeo if I take the front wheel off ?

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Transporting a tandem
« Reply #1 on: 30 July, 2008, 12:24:31 pm »
Ours fits in our Avensis estate with the front wheel off, but, if I'm to drive, it's better with both wheels off, which is how I fetched ours from Oswestry to London (and ,now I think about it, from Ilkley to Tod, and Portsmouth to Tod).
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 30 July, 2008, 02:44:31 pm »
Depends on the length.  Our Dawes was a pain to get inside my Vectra estate even with both wheels off and placed diagonally.  Anything longer and you're stuffed.

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

« Reply #3 on: 30 July, 2008, 06:49:50 pm »
Thanks guys,that gives me a idea.The other thing is put a trailer on the car and bungee the bike down.I am quite excited about this bike,its a old racing tandem.I think it might need some time and money spent on it.I will know more when I get it home.

« Reply #4 on: 30 July, 2008, 06:58:29 pm »
Was that the red Raleigh per chance ...

I was tempted myself but a much better offer has emerged ...  :)

« Reply #5 on: 30 July, 2008, 07:57:06 pm »
Was that the red Raleigh per chance ...

Love to see the link if it was a Raliegh Tandem - I don't think they've made any since 1937.  :o
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #6 on: 30 July, 2008, 08:50:30 pm »
Yes it is the red Carlton,which I am told is a Raleigh.The owner says its got Sturmy archer /deraily gears ?

« Reply #7 on: 30 July, 2008, 10:59:56 pm »
I brought my ebay tandem from England to Northen Ireland in an 5 door Astra.  Both wheels off, back seat folded flat and passenger seat all the way forward and there was just enough room for me to get in and drive!  ;D
What's this bottom line for anyway?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 31 July, 2008, 09:58:54 am »
Ooh - would love to see pix :)
Getting there...

« Reply #9 on: 31 July, 2008, 03:26:06 pm »
We can fit our tandem in a 3 door peugeot 206 - truly.

However, you have to put the front seat down as well as the back seat, and remove the front wheel.

The tandem club have a pdf file of ways of transporting a tandem by car - it has lots of practical ideas.

dave

« Reply #10 on: 31 July, 2008, 04:14:00 pm »
We can fit the Santana into the boot of my mother's Corsa - without the seats down.   :P

This is probably of no practical help as it requires S&S couplings.  ;)

« Reply #11 on: 31 July, 2008, 05:42:39 pm »
Thanks guys,that gives me a idea.The other thing is put a trailer on the car and bungee the bike down.I am quite excited about this bike,its a old racing tandem.I think it might need some time and money spent on it.I will know more when I get it home.

An old racing tandem should be quite short. They didn't go for comfort in those days.

« Reply #12 on: 31 July, 2008, 08:18:47 pm »
co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170240034985&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=007
Here it is !

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: 31 July, 2008, 08:20:38 pm »
Do you want to have another go at that linky? :)
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 31 July, 2008, 08:32:39 pm »
Cooool! 8) :)

Rather pretty, but your stoker is hanging a loooong way back.  You might wanna go easy over the bumps, or you'll have a mutiny ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #16 on: 31 July, 2008, 08:39:45 pm »
Ah! Not really racing, but a general purpose machine. You'll soon be learning all about oversized bottom brackets, Brampton headsets, etc. Has someone put cantilever bosses on?

« Reply #17 on: 31 July, 2008, 09:03:07 pm »
Picking it up tomorrow in my friends vw camper van.The good thing about John apart from having a vw camper van is that he is also a tandem nut.My intended stoker is 10 years old,and I dont think she will need that funny seatpost.I just hope it isnt seized in.