Author Topic: Touring with a Tandem  (Read 3005 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Touring with a Tandem
« on: 16 August, 2008, 02:16:10 pm »
OK, so Butterfly and I have committed to using the tandem to get North this month.

But when we went for a tryout in Surrey, I noticed that there are a couple of issues with touring by tandem.

First is that there is less carrying capacity than two tourers, and the weight is very significant in its effect on the handling.  This is very tiring for the pilot, and, I am guessing, rather scary at times for the stoker.

Secondly, the 'waggle effect'.  A tandem seems to flex alarmingly with the weight at either end.  OK, so we're cycle camping, so we are carrying a tent, sleeping bag, cooking eqpt etc, but we are going pretty lightweight in all those areas, and I know that tandem camping has been done for many years.

Should I just stop worrying about the flex, and get on with it? ;D
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Touring with a Tandem
« Reply #1 on: 16 August, 2008, 02:31:58 pm »
I think you should indeed get on with it. Having said that, our tandem doesn't flex all that much, even under a big load.

I agree with your comments about lack of capacity. We took a trailer when we went to Yorkshire last month, but I don't think we'll be camping again. Mrs. Wow doesn't enjoy it. I can't say it's my favourite sleeping arrangement but I'm prepared to have another go in Mildenhall next week because I want to be part of the YACF frivolity.

So it's official. I'm prepared to put myself through pain and discomfort because I want to be with you lovely people!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2 on: 16 August, 2008, 05:49:58 pm »
We have not cycle camped with a tandem but have now toured (albeit just for the weekend). But I am hoping to cycle camp in the next year or two.

Consequently I have been wondering about the handling and capacity issues you highlight. I think a trailer is the solution to both problems. Burley do a nice looking two wheeled cargo trailer, can't remember its name but it isn't the flat bed. I think it was about £200.

« Reply #3 on: 16 August, 2008, 06:33:49 pm »
The trouble with a trailer is getting it on the train to come home. It's possible to take a tandem on some routes, but I think a trailer might be tricky.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4 on: 16 August, 2008, 06:43:24 pm »
Trailers, tandems and trains would be a problem.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 16 August, 2008, 06:48:45 pm »
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #6 on: 18 August, 2008, 10:25:21 am »
The short answer is just do it. The long answer is below :)

We cycle-camped around south england for two and a half weeks last summer on our (quite old) Dawes Supergalaxy tandem. We took four full-size panniers, a bar bag and carried the tent and sleeping mats on top of the rear rack.

The bar bag just had the things we needed often (camera, money, food) and the full size panniers at the front had (relatively) light but bulky stuff in (sleeping bags, stove, plastic cooking things). We used the rear panniers for clothing and other heavy stuff. We did try to pack light but I don't think we succeeded - we certainly didn't find that we were missing things to make life comfortable.*

The tandem wobbled alarmingly when we weren't riding it - stood in line with it you could see the front like / and the back like \ - but when we were on it, it didn't feel too bad. We certainly didn't feel unsafe and we didn't have any problems with handling. The downhills were definitely fast though!

You're right that the pilot (me in this case) has to work a bit harder to steer but I got used to it after a couple of days and by the end I barely noticed.** I'm a 10st weakling and I didn't end up with tired arms and shoulders although I admit that we didn't always cover a huge distance (30-40miles most days, a couple of days of 70-80miles at either end).

Hope that helps,

Dave

* We have quite a light tent for its size (3.5kgs for a 3 man tent with big porch), a trangia for cooking, but not particularly lightweight anything else. We quite a few spare clothes and bits and pieces too.

** That is, until I got home and rode my town bike with wide handlebars instead of narrow drops. I almost fell off!

« Reply #7 on: 18 August, 2008, 12:27:08 pm »
Some years ago MrsD and I toured Brittany on our first tandem (a Motobecane ladyback with a particularly flexible frame). All was fine until the last when we replaced the light clothing that usually lived in the front panniers with as many bottles of wine as we could stuff into them. Riding the last few miles to the ferry the steering was interesting to say the least - ok when the front wheel was pointing in a straight line but the slightest turn of the bars sent the bike shooting off either across to the wrong side of the road or into the kerb!

« Reply #8 on: 18 August, 2008, 01:35:36 pm »
The Pikes use a trailer

« Reply #9 on: 18 August, 2008, 01:43:29 pm »
You have, as I recall, got a fairly flexible frame (the tandem, I  mean). Nevertheless it should be okay on the road provided you ride smoothly. I recall our old beast being noticeably flexible entering and leaving campsites, but once on tarmac it was fine.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 19 August, 2008, 08:27:18 pm »
You may be thinking about my Orbit, which is rather flexy.  The SuperGal is a bit stiffer, though by no means as stiff as our 2Across. 

Trailers we have, and, when we're not including train travel, we'd probably go for that as an option.  However, we need to just use the bike itself for this trip.

I think previously that I had too much weight at the front (I put the cooking things on the front, as I do with my solo, but that wasn't such a good idea), but we repacked, and it seemed a lot easier afterwards. :)

Our luggage will be:

Two Altura panniers at the rear, holding the heavy stuff
Two smaller panniers - probably Alturas - at front, with half a sleeping bag each and lighter kit
Carradice barbag for my personals
Small barbag for Butterfly's personals behind my saddle
Carradice Camper Longflap for general stuff inc tools
Tent on rack.
Getting there...