Author Topic: Braised lamb with thyme.  (Read 1061 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Braised lamb with thyme.
« on: 29 September, 2023, 05:17:41 pm »

While in holiday in Carcassonne I had a dish at a restaurant that was listed on the menu as:

Souris d’agneau braisée au thym

Which I think translates as braised lamb shank with thyme sauce. It was amazing. Alas my attempts to find a recipe to recreate it don't seem to be bearing fruit. A lot of them seem to be a red wine and thyme sauce. But I don't think the sauce had red wine as a big ingredient, not least cos the colour is wrong, and I didn't taste winey.

Any ideas where I might start to recreate this dish?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Re: Braised lamb with thyme.
« Reply #1 on: 29 September, 2023, 06:17:25 pm »
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2 on: 24 October, 2023, 03:46:28 pm »
Souris d’agneau braisée au thym

I'm amused that the word for a lamb shank is "mouse" - surprised I've never come across this before.

A lot of them seem to be a red wine and thyme sauce. But I don't think the sauce had red wine as a big ingredient, not least cos the colour is wrong, and I didn't taste winey.

You could substitute the wine for lamb or vegetable stock in those recipes. I don't think I would use just wine by itself as the braising liquid in any case. That would be too winey.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 24 October, 2023, 04:02:55 pm »
I used to use Elizabeth David's recipe - stick it with garlic all over, rub it with lemon juice and cover it in thyme and lavender then roast it very slowly for several hours.  Not braised but it was amazing.  Not allowed lamb these days 'cos heart. :(

A Dutch chum once told me that in the Netherlands lamb was regarded as inferior meat, to be cooked in red wine to cover the nasty flavour.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 24 October, 2023, 04:52:06 pm »

Thr lamb itself is easy enough to replicate. The thyme sauce is what I am stuck with.

I do know one or two cyclists in the Netherlands who eat lamb as a response to having navigate round them on certain events...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/