Author Topic: What's caffeinating you today?  (Read 129691 times)

Re: What's caffeinating you today?
« Reply #250 on: 03 January, 2013, 05:21:33 pm »
I bought a few different types of the Union ones when they had that half price offer recently. I think I'm missing something as I didn't really think any of them were that great. Everyone likes different things I guess.

I might try Rave and see what theirs is like. Or any other suggestions?

« Reply #251 on: 03 January, 2013, 05:26:54 pm »
How are you preparing it and what sort of coffee  do you like?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #252 on: 03 January, 2013, 05:27:17 pm »
Union Monsoon Malabar, I ran out just before Xmas and the new delivery has just arrived today, so I may have over-indulged!

It is so much better than the Mexican High Mountain stuff I had to endure until it arrived!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #253 on: 03 January, 2013, 09:05:07 pm »
I have a Mazzer mini and I do the flick trick with every grind, also use a pastry brush to get the residue out of the doser from the previous day.  Pain in the arse. Wouldn't be an issue if it was in constant use but at 2 or 3 coffees a day its necessary.

I'm clearly a complete yahoo because I Just Don't Bother trying to clean any old grinds out of our doserless grinder.  If there's anything stuck up there, then it's not much and it'll come out the next time I use it.

[/heretic]
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #254 on: 03 January, 2013, 09:31:15 pm »
I didn't Used To Bother either

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #255 on: 03 January, 2013, 09:38:25 pm »
I didn't Used To Bother either

Quote from: Morpheflatus
This is your last chance.  After this, there is no turning back.  You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.  You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep this rabbit-hole goes

« Reply #256 on: 03 January, 2013, 09:42:59 pm »
Its a fucking nightmare.

I'm not sure when it happened, but I'm crying now just trying to remember.

I'd sell my kids if it would let me go back to instant...

Help me

« Reply #257 on: 03 January, 2013, 10:16:33 pm »
COSTA RICA DON MAYO FINCA BELLA VISTA 2012

Very moreish. Was getting a bit bored of just drinking Rave Sig, and the old stock of Union Revelation wasn't doing it for me. This is a welcome change. Wouldn't want to drink the fruity hasbean stuff all the time, but do at the mo'.

« Reply #258 on: 03 January, 2013, 10:18:12 pm »
That's not helping

« Reply #259 on: 03 January, 2013, 10:45:18 pm »
We gave Rave Sig blend and Mocha Java to some relatives for Christmas. Hopefully they will be converted.
I am responsible for addicting Simonp to the Teapigs Jasmine tea temples Rave sell at a fiver for 15  :facepalm:

« Reply #260 on: 03 January, 2013, 11:20:32 pm »
I've just ordered some Sumatran & some Yirgacheffe from Hasbean.   Hopefully the pour over filter kit I ordered after Christmas will turn up by the time it's arrived.  If not it will be the Aeropress.   
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #261 on: 04 January, 2013, 08:54:46 am »
I've just ordered some Sumatran & some Yirgacheffe from Hasbean.   

You won't regret their Yirgacheffe one little bit - as pourover, it rocks my world most mornings at the office.

« Reply #262 on: 04 January, 2013, 09:31:33 am »
How are you preparing it and what sort of coffee  do you like?

I've got a little cafetiere on my desk, and I tend to like the rich roast ones.....

« Reply #263 on: 04 January, 2013, 09:36:44 am »
In which case I'd suggest anything Indonesian.

Rave coffee has Old Brown Java, which is one of my favourites for brewing. You can also blend it with something lighter for a bit of interest. He does a blend called Mocha Java which is good. He's local to me, so I pick it up in person, but I think he does free postage over £25. You could buy kilo bags quite cheaply, freeze it, and take out 250g at a time, or about 6 small bags and try a range. If you want suggestions from him, give him a ring.

Maybe stay away from the Central Americans, the South Americans would be worth a try as would the Monsoon Malabar.

What's caffeinating you today?
« Reply #264 on: 04 January, 2013, 10:59:52 am »

You won't regret their Yirgacheffe one little bit - as pourover, it rocks my world most mornings at the office.

What setting are you using on the Porlex for pour over ? How may clicks from fully screwed in ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #265 on: 05 January, 2013, 10:02:35 am »
Lavazza Crema é Gusto (don't ask why.)  :sick: It's going in the bin.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #266 on: 05 January, 2013, 11:32:12 am »

What setting are you using on the Porlex for pour over ? How may clicks from fully screwed in ?

Without unscrewing it, which I'm loathe to do, it's hard to say.  Finer that you would think is the basic answer. You need it to let the coffee dribble out of the bottom of the filter slowly...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #267 on: 05 January, 2013, 08:07:32 pm »
I bought some of that today. I was sent shopping with coffee as one of the items on my list. Now, I virtually never drank coffee until very recently and still drink it rarely - I was taken aback and bewildered at the range of coffees on the supermarket shelves. Tea is so much simpler! Fortunately I worked out that "cafe style" actually meant "beans to grind at home" and immediately ruled out the offerings of Starbucks (on taste and ethical grounds) and Taylors (because we have some Taylors "Rich Italian" and it's rather tasteless). I knew I wanted something stronger in taste - the "Rich Italian" (Berlusconi? Agnelli?) is rated 4 on whatever scale they use, but that seems to be a high number in coffee-scale-world, FWIW (I suspect zilch). I noticed that the own brand coffee was pretty much the same price as the branded, which was surprising, but what struck me more is that coffee packaging is stuck in the 80s - like milk, almost all of it is sold in packs of "227g" and "454g". That inclined me to the two brands with sensible pack sizes, on of which - Douwe Egberts - had cringeworthy names like "Together Time" and "Morning American", so I bought the Lavazza. And I quite like it - it has strength of taste and bitterness I like. So you could have sent yours to me! All in all though, I'm finding my Adventures in Coffee a little dispiriting so far.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #268 on: 05 January, 2013, 08:38:36 pm »

It is foul. It's something like 70% robusta. I picked some up without looking at it 'cos it was cheap. Tried sneaking it into the milk my wife drinks, but she couldn't stomach it and she drinks own label instant. Muck. Binned it.

« Reply #269 on: 06 January, 2013, 02:38:47 am »
That Lavazza tasted like drinking the contents of a swilled-out ashtray (oh, those student days...), and even worse than catering-quality instant.  YMMofcourseV. It just has a really odd, 1-dimensional, almost stale flavour, and I know now that coffee can be so much better. Like you Cudzo, I wasn't really a big coffee drinker until recently (thinking the whole scene a bit pretentious tbh), though usually having at least some Lavazza Rosso (or Oro when I was feeling flush) knocking about. I was more of a tea-head, but switched to some extent after realising I was caning through packets of Sainsburys breakfast blend (yes, yes, I know) made in a French press. It's a mild blend and I never realised how flowery, light, and moreish coffee could or should be. I'd finally 'got' coffee! I know it's only a matter of time before I take the road of no return, buy a Japanese burr hand-grinder and develop a Yirgacheffe habit (but financially embarrassed at the moment and wary of developing yet another potential wallet-emptying interest)!
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #270 on: 06 January, 2013, 06:35:27 am »
All I had in my house was Nescafe  :-\  I would like some good Kenya AA  :smug:

« Reply #271 on: 06 January, 2013, 07:13:17 am »
That Lavazza tasted like drinking the contents of a swilled-out ashtray (oh, those student days...), and even worse than catering-quality instant.  YMMofcourseV. It just has a really odd, 1-dimensional, almost stale flavour, and I know now that coffee can be so much better. Like you Cudzo, I wasn't really a big coffee drinker until recently (thinking the whole scene a bit pretentious tbh), though usually having at least some Lavazza Rosso (or Oro when I was feeling flush) knocking about. I was more of a tea-head, but switched to some extent after realising I was caning through packets of Sainsburys breakfast blend (yes, yes, I know) made in a French press. It's a mild blend and I never realised how flowery, light, and moreish coffee could or should be. I'd finally 'got' coffee! I know it's only a matter of time before I take the road of no return, buy a Japanese burr hand-grinder and develop a Yirgacheffe habit (but financially embarrassed at the moment and wary of developing yet another potential wallet-emptying interest)!

Try some Happy Donkey Brazilian or Classic Italian.  Great everyday blends at half the price of Union. 

(Having said that I have a mug of Revelation in my hand right now..)

« Reply #272 on: 06 January, 2013, 07:33:45 am »
Cheers Tewdric. They're not at all expensive either.

simonp

« Reply #273 on: 07 January, 2013, 01:11:29 am »
I ran out of beans, so ordered some Union Revelation from Ocado so I’d have something to drink this weekend.

« Reply #274 on: 15 January, 2013, 10:51:57 pm »
Had to nip down to Evans to grab a new tube and tyre at lunchtime, so went to Laynes Espresso, <a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=26763997&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=26763997&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>.

They were selling Ninety Plus Hachira N2. I guess it's roasted by Grumpy Mule, as they are local and have it for wholesale. It's the most expensive coffee I've ever bought, so there may be some self-justification here, but it tastes epic in an aeropress - so much going on. It was too late when I got home to have more than a single shot, but looking foward to some more in the morning. Way more going on than the Hasbean Yirgacheff I got recently. Assuming it is Grumpy Mule, it's available here.