Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576886 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #8225 on: 10 October, 2016, 09:53:18 pm »
I remember someone I knew slightly who worked in waste disposal once telling me that none of 'em ever bought furniture. Too much really good stuff* thrown away.

*Often more expensive than they could afford to buy.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8226 on: 11 October, 2016, 08:16:00 am »
Back in the 80s a chum of mine was in the habit of walking from tube to office via the back streets rather than down the main drag.  Once, behind the back of Lillywhite's, I think it was, he found a stack of Rossignol skis piled up against the bins.  He toddled in the back door and asked if they were rubbish too. "Yeah, they were the England Winter Olympics team's, they're finished with them." So he snaffled them: they were top of the range and still in very good condition, some of them hardly used. He made quite a bit from selling them.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8227 on: 11 October, 2016, 09:28:28 am »
Colleague who sits opposite me.  Our employer has a generous sick leave policy.    Please take advantage of it rather than coughing & spluttering everywhere. 

I'm off for a weeks holiday on Saturday & don't want to be touristing around Rome with a stinking cold  >:(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #8228 on: 11 October, 2016, 09:32:57 am »
Who's your The Boss, Guy?  Oliver North?

No, but i think he used to work in data management at EnRon
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

ian

« Reply #8229 on: 12 October, 2016, 08:12:42 am »
A nice, deep scratch has appeared in the right lens of my glasses, positioned perfectly so it's right in the way when I look at a computer screen.

No idea where it came from. It wasn't there yesterday evening and I've not dropped them or anything.

Probably that bloody cat. Or aliens.

ian

« Reply #8230 on: 12 October, 2016, 04:54:07 pm »
And Eurostar. I would like me a train ticket. How about you set up your payment page to not require a bazillion pop-ups and scripts that every fucking browser under the sun now blocks?

Now I am in marooned in that interstitial did-or-didn't I buy a ticket indeterminacy

ETA: Chrome says 'insecure script' and kills the HTTPS. Obviously.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8231 on: 12 October, 2016, 05:36:58 pm »
As there's very little actual food in the house (as I can't really walk or ride a bike) I've just finished baking some  ..dwarf bread.

That's what happened last time too, so more than just bad luck. On investigating I discover that the yeast is over a year past its use-by date.   :facepalm:

Yay, snot noodles for tea.

« Reply #8232 on: 12 October, 2016, 07:33:09 pm »
.... just finished baking some  ..dwarf bread.
.....On investigating I discover that the yeast is over a year past its use-by date.   :facepalm:
If you have yogurt/buttermilk and baking soda you could make soda or wheaten bread or if only baking powder some other form of quick bread.... or just cake  :)

Hope your heels get better.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #8233 on: 12 October, 2016, 08:25:16 pm »
I've found that putting (essentially) unleavened bread (cut to normal sized slices) under the grill* brings it out nicely.
*probably a toaster does the same job, if you have one of those instead.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #8234 on: 13 October, 2016, 10:52:59 am »
Bit of work going on at Basil Towers this week.  Fireplace being ripped out and enlarged for wood burning stove.  The builder leaves his mixer and other big stuff here overnight.

Builder:  "Can you unlock the shed for me?"
Me:  "Oh yes, sorry I forgot."  Aside mutter: "Shed?  That's Coach House if you don't mind.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8235 on: 13 October, 2016, 08:13:36 pm »
The middle finger of my right hand has decided to get hurty, making writing - inna-old-skool-stylee with a pen - a painful experience.  Yes, I did break it in an incident involving loose gravel, E-ed-up clubbers and a Mercedes S-Class but that was twenty-seven years ago.  Just stop it >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #8236 on: 16 October, 2016, 10:10:49 pm »
I knocked over the ornamental hare in my yard, and her ears broke off  :'(
Milk please, no sugar.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8237 on: 16 October, 2016, 10:58:25 pm »
Araldite or 'Gorilla Glue' should sort her out. I was going to suggest something like 'using rabbit glue cos from a distance it will look like hairs' but that's probably mixing too many metaphors . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #8238 on: 16 October, 2016, 11:00:44 pm »
:( GWS hare
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8239 on: 16 October, 2016, 11:16:13 pm »
Plenty hares round here, want me to catch one for you?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8240 on: 17 October, 2016, 12:24:29 am »
I've just spent the weekend at the Victoria Quays Hilton in Sheffield for a Medical School reunion.

I booked an 'accessible' room for two, expecting to get a twin as I was sharing with a class-mate.

Receptionist told me on arrival only 'accessible' rooms had 'standard double' beds. I was not prepared to share a bed with my friend.

I chose to stay in a standard twin and thankfully managed fine but I'm unimpressed that we wouldn't have had separate beds if I had not opted for this. I wasn't prepared to get a second room at extra expense. (The single beds are BIG!)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8241 on: 17 October, 2016, 11:40:53 am »
You need a beer.
https://www.bathales.com/our-ales/aid/wild-hare/
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #8242 on: 17 October, 2016, 12:01:12 pm »
I've just spent the weekend at the Victoria Quays Hilton in Sheffield for a Medical School reunion.

I booked an 'accessible' room for two, expecting to get a twin as I was sharing with a class-mate.

Receptionist told me on arrival only 'accessible' rooms had 'standard double' beds. I was not prepared to share a bed with my friend.

I chose to stay in a standard twin and thankfully managed fine but I'm unimpressed that we wouldn't have had separate beds if I had not opted for this. I wasn't prepared to get a second room at extra expense. (The single beds are BIG!)

Argh, sounds like they need to be clearer about what their accessible rooms have all round >:(

ian

« Reply #8243 on: 17 October, 2016, 01:07:52 pm »
Rushed around all morning so I could squeeze in a swim before I fly off somewhere this afternoon. Run up to the leisure centre. 'Pool closed - sorry for any inconvenience'.

Bah.

« Reply #8244 on: 17 October, 2016, 10:57:45 pm »

I seem to remember a couple of years ago when we stayed in an accessible room at a travelodge it was a double bed.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8245 on: 18 October, 2016, 05:09:01 pm »

Argh, sounds like they need to be clearer about what their accessible rooms have all round >:(

Indeed but I booked online and (mistakenly) assumed a twin would be available.

When I have travelled with David, we've frequently ended up with twin beds, which don't please us either.

I am a fusspot...

RibbleRouser

« Reply #8246 on: 18 October, 2016, 05:19:42 pm »
Hare ears broke off ?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8247 on: 18 October, 2016, 10:12:45 pm »
Due to Sloth and Moral Turpitude I did not get the opportunity to visit Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles this afternoon.  "A-ha" I thought, "I will go after TV's Riz Lateef" has delivered unto me the local Londonton news, when the usual evening traffic has subsided".

Two hours to get there.  And when I came out again thee Traffic ov Doom had evaporated as though whatever had corked up the whole of NE Londonton had been given a pot of coffee laced with Ex-Lax ???

Note to self: finish that project to turn the Romany into a shopping bike/trailer tug :-\
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #8248 on: 19 October, 2016, 12:37:59 am »
Due to Sloth and Moral Turpitude I did not get the opportunity to visit Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles this afternoon. 

A fine partnership of Property consultants?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

essexian

« Reply #8249 on: 19 October, 2016, 08:25:04 am »
Due to Sloth and Moral Turpitude I did not get the opportunity to visit Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles this afternoon. 

A fine partnership of Property consultants?

There were a firm of solicitors on Hoe Street, not that far from Mr Sainsbury's House which were called: "Beg and Co."

It always made me smile on the way to the station.  ;D   

(Sorry, not a grumble until I remember that I am old enough to have used Mr Sainsbury's previous  store in the same street as the one Mr Larrington uses!)