Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1619822 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #8250 on: 19 October, 2016, 12:25:08 pm »
I've just spent the weekend at the Victoria Quays Hilton in Sheffield for a Medical School reunion.
I booked an 'accessible' room for two, expecting to get a twin as I was sharing with a class-mate.
Receptionist told me on arrival only 'accessible' rooms had 'standard double' beds. I was not prepared to share a bed with my friend.
I chose to stay in a standard twin and thankfully managed fine but I'm unimpressed that we wouldn't have had separate beds if I had not opted for this. I wasn't prepared to get a second room at extra expense. (The single beds are BIG!)
Argh, sounds like they need to be clearer about what their accessible rooms have all round >:(
Indeed but I booked online and (mistakenly) assumed a twin would be available.
When I have travelled with David, we've frequently ended up with twin beds, which don't please us either.
I am a fusspot...

Now I've had this reply from the Hilton.

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience regarding Hilton Sheffield.

Your feedback regarding accessible bedrooms has been noted and taken on board. I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to our hotel in the future and if required an additional bed can be placed in the bedroom.

But actually I DON'T WANT my equally paying room mate in a little put-you-up. I want a proper bed! Also, accommodating a bulky wheelchair in a room with an extra bed is VERY awkward!

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #8251 on: 19 October, 2016, 01:00:33 pm »
I don't understand why their online website doesn't SAY what each room has in it e.g shower/bath, double/twin... They wouldn't expect non disableds to book a room not knowing which is which so that could be discriminatory!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8252 on: 19 October, 2016, 01:58:29 pm »
(Sorry, not a grumble until I remember that I am old enough to have used Mr Sainsbury's previous  store in the same street as the one Mr Larrington uses!)

Actually I've been using the branch of Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles opposite the dog track since it opened, well before moving into the current iteration of Larrington Towers.  Which is as near as makes no odds twenty years as yesterday would have been my 20th wedding anniversary had it lasted.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8253 on: 19 October, 2016, 02:01:39 pm »
I don't understand why their online website doesn't SAY what each room has in it e.g shower/bath, double/twin... They wouldn't expect non disableds to book a room not knowing which is which so that could be discriminatory!

Good point!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8254 on: 20 October, 2016, 03:48:43 pm »
Dear Southwest Trains,

I am no longer 'thinking about my trip to Christchurch'.

I booked with another provider as I wanted my tickets mailed to me and you no longer give me this option.

I am disabled and do no not need to be messing with my credit card and umpteen pieces of orange cardboard, luggage and my wheelchair in a noisy station, where the ticket machine is at a suboptimal height for those who cannot stand.

If you wish my continued custom for ticket sales, please reinstate the option of receiving tickets easily by mail.

Hellymedic

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8255 on: 22 October, 2016, 01:41:54 pm »
Yet Another Bridge Strike!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-37738633

Are these things getting more frequent?
One of the news pictures clearly shows the bridge's height limit.

Wishing the victims well...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8256 on: 22 October, 2016, 01:55:12 pm »
Being a past master at sending in an online order and then remembering something else I wanted to add, I paused in the middle of Wiggle's "Validate Basket" routine. Five minutes later an email from them arrived entitled "Vous avez un problème?"

Not any more. The basket is now empty and the one for xxcycle.fr has a couple of items in it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8257 on: 22 October, 2016, 02:14:31 pm »
The train from Rome airport to the city costs €14, has tons of luggage space & takes 30 minutes.
The train from Manchester to Liverpool costs £15, has no luggage space & takes ages 😨

I'm back & have a rotten cold which started yesterday 😷  Sneezing & snotting my way through 2 airports reminded me of the opening credits from "Survivors".
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #8258 on: 23 October, 2016, 10:28:13 am »
I have this theory that airyplanes promote bug relocation.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8259 on: 23 October, 2016, 12:00:48 pm »
That's not a theory; it's a fact!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8260 on: 23 October, 2016, 12:13:27 pm »
Yet Another Bridge Strike!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-37738633

Are these things getting more frequent?
One of the news pictures clearly shows the bridge's height limit.

Wishing the victims well...
Sometimes seems like they're getting more frequent, but maybe they're just more widely reported now. And of course there are more vehicles generally and quite likely a higher proportion of traffic is high vehicles.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8261 on: 23 October, 2016, 01:57:59 pm »
Satnavitus!
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #8262 on: 23 October, 2016, 04:27:05 pm »
That's not a theory; it's a fact!

The cold began before the flight.  I woke up on Friday with a bad sore throat & it progressed from there.   By great good fortune I've not had a bad cold for several years now & this is knocking me for six  :(     No apparent high temperature or shivers,  just the throat, coughing & sneezing & copious snot.  I've not much appetite & have been in bed most of the day having strange dreams.  I think I'll not be going into work tomorrow. 

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8263 on: 24 October, 2016, 08:59:19 am »
Bloody Orange, startling me out of a nice brown study with a text "alert" to watch The Walking Dead.  In fact, bloody Orange in general. Living near the frontier with Germany, every time I ride within 10 km of it B.O. send me TWO messages about how I can stay in touch in forrin partz. That's just before Deutsche Telekom on the other side swamps out Orange, so that I can incur roving fees without leaving France.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8264 on: 24 October, 2016, 01:27:13 pm »
Schwalbe don't do Marathon spiked winter tyres in 650b/27.5", so I had to settle for their Ice Spiker Pro ones at a whopping £85 for a folding pair. Wiggle want £63 each for clinchers!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #8265 on: 24 October, 2016, 01:44:48 pm »
Schwalbe don't do Marathon spiked winter tyres in 650b/27.5", so I had to settle for their Ice Spiker Pro ones at a whopping £85 for a folding pair. Wiggle want £63 each for clinchers!
And people ask me why I walk to work when it's icy.

Guy - not actually made of money
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8266 on: 24 October, 2016, 01:47:09 pm »
You don't have to be made of money, you just need to have a more sensible wheel size and buy your ice tyres in June.

« Reply #8267 on: 24 October, 2016, 02:20:10 pm »
And people ask me why I walk to work when it's icy.

Guy - not actually made of money
That's actually not super-overpriced. £42.50 each.

I don't have to look far to find MTB tyres with a RRP of over £100 (on sale at £60).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #8268 on: 24 October, 2016, 04:43:56 pm »
I emailed in sick to work, but had to go out & buy food & stuff.  A sweatshirt & warm coat.  I'm now soaking with perspiration & thinking about going back to bed  :(

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8269 on: 24 October, 2016, 05:02:35 pm »
As good a reason as any to call Deliveroo, surely.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8270 on: 24 October, 2016, 05:06:46 pm »
You don't have to be made of money, you just need to have a more sensible wheel size and buy your ice tyres in June.
Too true; my 26" & 700c Marathon Winters (with not so many spikes, granted) cost me £12 - 20 each from On One.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #8271 on: 25 October, 2016, 09:37:50 am »
One of the things that made living on our street pleasant was the park opposite our house. I don't walk in it every day, but it is there and the knowledge that I can walk in it, sit in it is pleasant. When my step-daughter visits with step-grandaughter, at 5:30-6am I take step-grandaughter out in pram and walk in the park to give mum a lie in. We chat to the dog walkers, play on the swings.

No longer. It is going to be locked from 6pm to 7:30am.

So working folk like me will no longer have use of the park. I'm pissed off. There is a small problem with a very small amount of vandalism. There is a very small amount of rubbish left in two locations.

There are lot of people who walk dogs early (never seen any dog poo left on ground, people are very particular about picking up). Quite a lot of early morning and evening joggers, including me. All those people won't be able to use the park anymore.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8272 on: 25 October, 2016, 09:49:14 am »
Hmm, you have my complete sympathies.  I have the same problem in Ely with public toilets, closed from about 5:30 pm which is typically before I head out for a run if I'm home.

Not a continual problem, but what am I expected to do if I get caught short? Fid the nearest hedge?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #8273 on: 25 October, 2016, 10:01:20 am »
It's going to be locked up because people are afraid of what might happen. There have been a small number of drunken parties (4-8 people sitting round a bench drinking). Sometimes. No fires. A few bottles left lying around (I know how many, I picked them up). A grumbling local complained to me that he'd seen people climbing trees! The horror of it!

There is a local drug dealer sits on a bench. He sits on a bench for most of day, people go up to him and buy drugs from him. Discretely. I didn't even realise he was a drug dealer (he offered to sell some to one of my teenagers, that's the only reason I know he is a dealer) If he doesn't sit in the park, he'll sit somewhere else.

I've never seen a discarded needle, syringe or even smelt a spliff in the park. It's very sedate.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #8274 on: 25 October, 2016, 11:02:10 am »
Imagine if we had a police force then, who knows, rather than close the park, they could just, well, patrol it every now and again. Like after dark.