Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1620022 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #8275 on: 26 October, 2016, 11:26:27 am »
People climbing trees. That's the trouble. They might fall out and get injured, if they're kids, or damage the tree with their weight if they're adults. Kids climbing trees is simply dangerous and must be stopped, like running in the school playground, and adults who climb trees clearly have something wrong with them. That leaves people between childhood and adulthood, sometimes known as teenagers, and everyone knows they shouldn't be allowed to exist.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #8276 on: 26 October, 2016, 11:30:54 am »
People climbing trees. That's the trouble. They might fall out and get injured, if they're kids, or damage the tree with their weight if they're adults. Kids climbing trees is simply dangerous and must be stopped, like running in the school playground, and adults who climb trees clearly have something wrong with them. That leaves people between childhood and adulthood, sometimes known as teenagers, and everyone knows they shouldn't be allowed to exist.

A tree? Chop it down- it's a danger
to lightning!
Spine Milligna, Values '67.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #8277 on: 26 October, 2016, 11:40:19 am »
I've had a response to my query about being a lock-up warden.

Apparently, drug dealing, vandalism and drug use was so frequent ".. resulting in regular police patrols with many people too afraid to use the park at all. "

This is the park that my step-daughter felt so safe in she would go jogging round by herself at dusk. 'twas she who told me about the drug dealer. He asked her "Do you want any weed or anything?" "No thanks" "Ok then"  (not the exact words but something like that)

Very terrifying.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #8278 on: 26 October, 2016, 11:58:12 am »
Erm, surely if there were 'regular police patrols' none of these 'antisocial' things would be happening.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8279 on: 26 October, 2016, 12:01:03 pm »
Regular, ian, not frequent...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8280 on: 26 October, 2016, 12:56:49 pm »
Erm, surely if there were 'regular police patrols' none of these 'antisocial' things would be happening.
Quite.

I've never  seen a police officer in the park.

The same email said "You are the only person who has not been in support of this" (the locking up")

That's odd, because when the community survey was put up, my wife and others opposed locking up. I've spoken to people in the park (dog walkers, people with awake babies) who didn't want it locking up.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8281 on: 26 October, 2016, 01:23:53 pm »
Maybe that's "only one in support after we discard all the responses from people who don't agree with us" (© 2016 Westminster council)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #8282 on: 26 October, 2016, 02:10:37 pm »
Maybe get other people to complain too so they can't say that, also how many people have demanded the park is locked up. It won't keep "oiks" out as they'll just climb locked gates etc.

« Reply #8283 on: 28 October, 2016, 11:10:27 am »
Snotty Kenilworth dog owner: Do not expect me to thank you for your 'trouble' for retrieving your mutt. You were standing in the middle of dual access barriers fussing over the thing, when there were several other places you could & should have played with it. Blocking access and expecting me to thank you for unblocking that access doesn't earn gratitude in my book, so don't throw a sarcastic 'You're very welcome' at me.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #8284 on: 28 October, 2016, 11:41:15 am »

Apparently, drug dealing, vandalism and drug use was so frequent ".. resulting in regular police patrols with many people too afraid to use the park at all. "

This is the park that my step-daughter felt so safe in she would go jogging round by herself at dusk. 'twas she who told me about the drug dealer. He asked her "Do you want any weed or anything?" "No thanks" "Ok then"  (not the exact words but something like that)

Very terrifying.

Which park is it and who do I write to with my complaint?

« Reply #8285 on: 28 October, 2016, 01:08:04 pm »

Very terrifying.

Which park is it and who do I write to with my complaint?
West Bank Park, Holgate

Write to the Council and you could also email:
   friends of west bank park@gmail.com
No spaces

I was in theory on the the friends of west bank park email list - received a total of 2 emails, attended and contributed to the one meeting they announced by email, responded (as did MrsC) to the survey about locking up the park. Never received anything about it actually going ahead or looking for volunteers to do lockup.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8286 on: 30 October, 2016, 07:32:33 am »
Pissed off & bored 'cos I set my dodgy sacroiliac grumbling the other day & helping the nurse with the Inlaw Paw has aggravated it.  Meanwhile the day is longer by an extra hour, the weather is mild and the sun is blazing down outside, and there is nothing I want to do apart from riding my bloody bike. :demon:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8287 on: 30 October, 2016, 09:00:50 am »
shutting the house up last night before bed, I managed to kick the foot of the turbo trainer.

My second toe is either broken or very badly bruised.  Throbbing this morning about 10 hours later
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8288 on: 30 October, 2016, 01:10:22 pm »
Argh. Happened to friend of mine two weeks back.  GWS.

Pissed off & bored 'cos I set my dodgy sacroiliac grumbling the other day & helping the nurse with the Inlaw Paw has aggravated it.  Meanwhile the day is longer by an extra hour, the weather is mild and the sun is blazing down outside, and there is nothing I want to do apart from riding my bloody bike. :demon:

I cracked and went, nothing cracked or twinged, and I had a very satisfying 30+ km toddle before lunch.

« Reply #8289 on: 01 November, 2016, 01:16:05 pm »
Why do the transparent plastic coverings on food packages which are supposed to peel back always tear down 1/3 leaving the rest in situ?  >:(
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8290 on: 01 November, 2016, 02:30:16 pm »
So that "easy open" will work just a little bit.

« Reply #8291 on: 01 November, 2016, 10:45:36 pm »
Lurgy, please FOAD, it's been 12 days now & I'm still coughing, hawking, snotting & feeling crap.  Anything more than a gentle walk or ride has me soaking with sweat  >:(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8292 on: 02 November, 2016, 12:31:57 am »
I'll put in a vote for lurgy as well.  It's gone to my ears and asymmetrically nobbled my hearing in the way that used to really freak me out when I was a kid (even after the chronic infections stopped, it was years before I could bear stereo headphones).  The good ear's probably at least 10dB down at the moment, judging by what I've been doing with my volume control and the amount of sense I made when answering the phone earlier.  Peanuts in hearing loss terms, I know, but really disorientating when it changes over the course of hours.  I spent a couple of minutes earlier triangulating the source of a clicking noise that turned out to be a dripping tap.   :facepalm:

On the plus side the sneezing has subsided somewhat.  Lungs are a work in progress (not sure who's winning there).  Mostly I've been feeling cold and wanting to sleep a lot.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8293 on: 02 November, 2016, 01:09:53 am »
I haz a headache and much achiness over and above the usual quota.  I blame all the fresh smog I got walking to the blood testing midden this morning.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #8294 on: 02 November, 2016, 09:52:17 am »
GWS all of you  :)
the slower you go the more you see

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8295 on: 02 November, 2016, 10:07:01 am »
For no apparent reason I feel like shit warmed up on a shovel this morning, so can I have a GWS as well?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8296 on: 02 November, 2016, 12:58:32 pm »
Lungs are a work in progress (not sure who's winning there).

Think I've worked out who's winning.

Woke up screaming (literally) at 5am, during a dream about being strangled.  I could smell the nicotine on his hands which was interesting, as I don't remember having dreams with smells in them before.

Took a load of Ventolin and went back to bed, but didn't really sleep after that.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8297 on: 02 November, 2016, 01:00:03 pm »
For no apparent reason I feel like shit warmed up on a shovel this morning, so can I have a GWS as well?

One from this side of the ditch.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8298 on: 02 November, 2016, 01:23:17 pm »
Cheers, Dave.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8299 on: 03 November, 2016, 03:58:08 pm »
Why does Royal Fail online postage payment have to expire the next working day?  I've just discovered that barakta didn't actually post something I gave her on Monday, as she didn't realise the deadline I told her was important.

I mean, I understand that some expiry for unposted items makes sense, so the database doesn't fill with endless cruft.  But a week or two doesn't seem unreasonable, does it?

Do they not have enough bits in the barcode?  Surely not, as that would be prone to abuse.