Author Topic: Train help required.  (Read 3122 times)

Train help required.
« on: 14 April, 2008, 12:18:56 pm »
After reading the start of this thread I am considering getting to the FNRttC, as arranged at t'other place, via train. (the first time on a train since '88ish).
Looking online I can go from Southend Vic. to Lpool St. for £12.20 but going through the booking process no bike option revealed itself. So I wander up to Sou. Vic. and for £12.20 and no charge for a bike I can take the same train.
Is the no bike charge correct? Do I have to reserve a bike space (I forget to ask ticketeer)?

Re: Train help required.
« Reply #1 on: 14 April, 2008, 12:32:10 pm »
No charges for bikes on UK trains, even with a specific bike reservation.

Just checked on gner.co.uk, because you can't book a seat on the service, you can't book a cycle reservation.

That usually means it isn't a problem to bring a bike on the train but it's worth asking some of the Southend residents who travel on that line more often.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2 on: 14 April, 2008, 01:00:20 pm »
No problems with a bike on the Liverpool street line - I did that on all previous FNRTTC.  You just have to lean the bike against the seat though as there are no storage bike facilities.  (I daren't think of the office worker the next day getting oil all over their posh suit)

Fenchurch street line does have bike spaces, and the carriages are marked on the outside with a bike logo.  However... the straps were removed a while ago due to vandalism risk so any bike you put there WILL fall over as the train tries to shake itself off the uneven rails.  Also it's right outside the loo doors, so people going to the loo will knock the bike over (Note that at that time of night the train occupants are boozed up pissheads trying to get home).

7th edit (I can't type today) : to add that yes, just turn up and get on the train.

« Reply #3 on: 14 April, 2008, 01:05:05 pm »
Thanks Greenbank and Nutty.
If I do the train route it'll probably be from Prittlewell now as it's nearly £4 cheaper and Fenchurch St. is roughly the same distance from Hyde Park as Lpool St.

Edit: I was going to leave on the first train after 2200 so I will have time to get food/lost/found/lost and arrive in good time at HPC. Does this sound like a good plan?

« Reply #4 on: 14 April, 2008, 03:10:53 pm »
For future reference, I believe you can book bikes online at http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com/ - regardless of the actual operator you will be travelling with

« Reply #5 on: 14 April, 2008, 03:15:19 pm »
For future reference, I believe you can book bikes online at http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com/ - regardless of the actual operator you will be travelling with

Only if the trains are taking bookings for seats. That was the point I made above.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #6 on: 14 April, 2008, 04:38:39 pm »

Only if the trains are taking bookings for seats. That was the point I made above.
But if you have a few hours to kill what's better than trying to book something online and being chucked back to the start when you hit the penultimate link.