Author Topic: How Many Chances?  (Read 4627 times)

LEE

How Many Chances?
« on: 21 April, 2008, 05:43:17 pm »
Following on from my "About Fkin Time" Pete Doherty thread, I have just seen this.

Can someone tell me why we are giving people 51 chances?

The most convicted motorist in Britain - who has never held a licence - has been jailed for eight months for his 51st driving offence.
A magistrate told Jamie Manderson his was the worst case of its kind they had ever come across.
The 35-year-old was also banned from driving again - this time for five years.

At court in Swindon, Wiltshire, Manderson pleaded guilty to driving while banned and driving without insurance.

On Saturday, police spotted the former nightclub bouncer behind the wheel, despite being on a community-based sentence for other car-related matters.

Chief magistrate Norman Ames said: "You have a flagrant disregard for the law. This the worst case of driving while disqualified, in total, we have come across."

Manderson was first banned from driving in 1988 when he was 15.

He currently has 51 driving while disqualified convictions, with 51 related offences for driving without insurance.

Manderson has a number of other previous convictions, including dangerous driving in 2004 and 2005.

The 35-year-old is awaiting trial on two further charges of driving while disqualified, but denies the offences.

Rob Ross, Manderson's lawyer, has described his client as a "likeable idiot" and that he suffers from "a serious addiction to cars".

blackpuddinonnabike

Re: How Many Chances?
« Reply #1 on: 21 April, 2008, 05:48:35 pm »
Given he's been jailed for 8 months (presumably near to the max for the offence?) and banned from driving (again probably near to the max?) I'm not sure what else can be done?

Public flogging?

Unless you're suggesting a change in the law for repeat offenders such as this to be banged up for years or banned for life (though given he seems to have no problem driving when banned...)

« Reply #2 on: 21 April, 2008, 05:52:24 pm »
Just chop of his hands and feet :demon:

That should slow him down a bit  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: 21 April, 2008, 06:12:07 pm »
At court in Swindon

Ah, that would explain it.  :D

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 21 April, 2008, 06:13:10 pm »
I remember some of his previous appearances in court.  I wish we still had transportation for useless oiks like him, I really do.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5 on: 21 April, 2008, 06:19:39 pm »
<Not the 9 o'clock News>

Cut his goolies off!  :demon:

</Not the 9 o'clock News>

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #6 on: 21 April, 2008, 06:21:41 pm »
I remember some of his previous appearances in court.  I wish we still had transportation for useless oiks like him, I really do.

We do, they all get sent to Swindon  ;).

LEE

« Reply #7 on: 21 April, 2008, 10:31:39 pm »
Given he's been jailed for 8 months (presumably near to the max for the offence?) and banned from driving (again probably near to the max?) I'm not sure what else can be done?

Public flogging?

Unless you're suggesting a change in the law for repeat offenders such as this to be banged up for years or banned for life (though given he seems to have no problem driving when banned...)

I have no problem with his sentence.

My problem is that it took so long before anything was done.  In a way I have sympathy for him now.  He was probably (rightly) surprised when he was locked up.  I mean what did he do differently this time that he hadn't done 51 times before?

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #8 on: 21 April, 2008, 10:57:22 pm »

;) So does he, but until then he will keep nicking cars  ;)
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #9 on: 21 April, 2008, 11:01:28 pm »

Public flogging?

I have no problem with his sentence.

My problem is that it took so long before anything was done.  In a way I have sympathy for him now.  He was probably (rightly) surprised when he was locked up.  I mean what did he do differently this time that he hadn't done 51 times before?

He would only be surprised if he had forgotten being locked up before
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10 on: 22 April, 2008, 09:43:03 am »
I saw this upon the WWP last night.  I am afraid that I shouted many Rude Words at the screen.

Shoot him and burn the body, usinf The Lighthouse Family as kindling.

That is all.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #11 on: 22 April, 2008, 03:58:14 pm »
Don't be so hard on him, he's a just a "likable idiot" after all. I mean, when he does succeed in killing someone, I am sure the family and friends of his victim will appreciate that he was only being a "bit daft" at the time.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #12 on: 22 April, 2008, 04:00:19 pm »
Don't be so hard on him, he's a just a "likable idiot" after all.

Didn't they say that about Charles Manson?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #13 on: 22 April, 2008, 04:45:28 pm »

No

"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #14 on: 22 April, 2008, 05:04:45 pm »
<Not the 9 o'clock News>

Cut his goolies off!  :demon:

</Not the 9 o'clock News>

Given that he's probably likely to breed uncontrollably, that might not be a bad idea....   :P
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #15 on: 23 April, 2008, 09:17:38 am »

No

That was Marilyn Manson
Owner of a languishing Langster

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #16 on: 23 April, 2008, 09:23:17 am »
They(Australian Police) did say it about Carl Williams though (see Leadbelly(book)/Underbelly(tv series)), how wrong were they???
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State