Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 463706 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #2700 on: 10 May, 2019, 03:31:57 pm »
Aforesaid lassie didn't do the programming: culprit not available.  Plus "they're all set like that, we just plug them into the computer and etc".  Told her to tell the perp to stick it where the sun don't shine, but she probably won't.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2701 on: 11 May, 2019, 11:07:51 am »
And to add injury to insult... the BP cuff inflates "every half-hour during the day and once an hour during the night" with a noise like a young alarm clock. It woke me every hour on the hour all night, with the exception of 4 am because I was still awake from 3 am. Then it decided that I should get up at 6 am because that's when it went into daytime mode.

I was given one like that and, having worn it all afternoon and put up with it inflating quite painfully every ten minutes, I decided I wouldn't get any sleep at all and took it off at bed time. The next day when it was plugged in to download the afternoon's data, it turned out that it hadn't recorded anything at all, at which point I rebelled and refused to cooperate with a repeat attempt.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2702 on: 11 May, 2019, 01:44:01 pm »
Every 10 mins is cruel and unusual.  Maybe it couldn't get a reading and was trying over & over until it could; mine did that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2703 on: 19 May, 2019, 12:07:37 am »
Facebook Marketplace is flogging an unusual ice cream scoop...
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1329592007198959/

(click to show/hide)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2704 on: 19 May, 2019, 08:47:32 am »
Facebook Marketplace is flogging an unusual ice cream scoop...
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1329592007198959/

(click to show/hide)

Yebbut my ice-cream allowance is two balls.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2705 on: 19 May, 2019, 08:57:07 am »
Anyway, for a few years MrsT has had trouble staying asleep at night: she drops off all right but wakes up again an hour later and stays awake for an hour or two more.  Being from Yorkshire she has hereditary high cholesterol and the doc's had her on 40 mg Pravastatin for a few years.  Recently she re-read the list of side effects and found that troubled sleep and nightmares were listed. She shifted her pill from evening to morning and has been sleeping like a top ever since.

The funny thing is that, according to the leaflet, only 1% of patients are affected this way, yet last week I shifted my own 40 mg dose from evening to morning with similar results.  I was blaming the coffee. Hmm....

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2706 on: 19 May, 2019, 09:50:35 am »
I strongly suspect adverse effects from statins are GROSSLY under-reported by the 'mustn't grumble' generation.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2707 on: 19 May, 2019, 09:56:53 am »
Meanwhile, the effect on memory of losing sleep is put down to getting on a bit.  Interesting, though - the dreams I had from 5am on were much more vivid than usual - brain catching up?

« Reply #2708 on: 19 May, 2019, 10:30:23 am »
Date confirmed for my knee replacement operation (26th June). Looking forward to it.
Once the rehabilitation is over (approx September) I'll be able to start riding and get
back to circuit training. :thumbsup:

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #2709 on: 19 May, 2019, 07:23:23 pm »
Date confirmed for my knee replacement operation (26th June). Looking forward to it...
Hope everything goes well.  :thumbsup:
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

« Reply #2710 on: 19 May, 2019, 09:50:52 pm »
Thank you. It should have been done a few years ago, but I put up with the pain until
I couldn't even do the warm-up jog in circuit training. Looking forward to the weight loss
(of the eight pounds) that will inevitably occur once I'm active again.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2711 on: 22 May, 2019, 04:29:57 pm »
Date confirmed for my knee replacement operation (26th June). Looking forward to it.

Sounds about right. Most of my major injuries have happened in late June, just in time to watch the TdF while immobilized.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2712 on: 23 May, 2019, 08:59:34 am »
Saw Ozzy the GP this morning to discuss cardiologist's recommendations. Cardio wants me to take a BB (bottom bracket, not) but the one he "suggests" has a half-life of 5 hours so I suggested to Ozzy that if I take the dose at ~7pm it'll be largely gone by next day.  He seemed quite tickled with the ploy so that's what I'll do. Last time I had BBs I took them in the morning and was duly poleaxed.

Nice thing about Ozzy is that whereas the cardio when asked why says "to avoid arrhythmia" and moves on, whereas Oz explains in terms of turbulence, mini-clots & effects thereof. Good lad.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2713 on: 26 May, 2019, 03:52:14 pm »
First ride with new beta-blockers today. This lot are a lot easier to tolerate than the ones I had in 2008. They made it almost impossible to push my heart over 130, with the result that on every decent hill my legs hurt like hell: I remember one hill where I had to coast every 5 pedal-strokes to let the pain die down. With the new ones, taken in the evening, I can get to 150 and do virtually everything I want to. BPM doesn't climb as fast as without but power seems the same if not slightly more, possibly because salvos of extra-systolics don't deliver as much O2 as regular beats.

Plan now is to ride this week, report to Ozzy on Friday and go on from there.

« Reply #2714 on: 26 May, 2019, 07:35:14 pm »
I am getting pain in the front of my left leg between the knee and the ankle which is making it painful to straighten my leg  .I was proscribed naxproxin but my lips swelled up and ibuprofen doesn't seem to make much difference to the pain. This is making it difficult to do the streaching exercises i have been given. I am scared to ride any distance at the moment in case I make it worse.  Bah  :'(
the slower you go the more you see

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2715 on: 27 May, 2019, 09:54:55 pm »
I'm now part of the Kilted Coaches clan!  :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2716 on: 02 June, 2019, 03:07:41 pm »
10 days of beta-blockers and I've probably reached saturation.  Today's ride was murder: I went well for about an hour then somebody pulled the plug out. Halfway up a somewhat trivial climb that I usually take standing on the big chainring my legs began to burn and my power just went, so that I had to crawl up the rest of the way sitting down.  I recovered a little half an hour later over coffee but I had sore quads the rest of the way and every climb was painful.

I reckon the BB's are slowing the rate at which my muscles recover en route, and once the reserves go I'm limited by what my heart can deliver.  Overall heart rate appears to be down by around 10 bpm.

I'll give them another week or so and then bend the GP's shell-like into a pretzel. :demon:

« Reply #2717 on: 02 June, 2019, 03:16:58 pm »
...and it was all going so well yesterday.  :-\

First parkrun for seven months. First 'serious' run since my op (I have been building up gently once past the six-week layoff). Didn't do too badly, considering.
Then most of the rest of the day in the garden. Back out to the garden this morning. About ten minutes (if that) of weeding the patio.

And my back goes. Just the usual 'overdoing it on the first decent day when we've been home' syndrome, but none the less annoying for that.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2718 on: 02 June, 2019, 03:21:17 pm »
Bummer. Hope they can fix it for you.

« Reply #2719 on: 04 June, 2019, 11:44:48 am »
What's the name of the muscle that runs along the back of the shoulder?

I must have slept on it badly last night because it really hurts this morning.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2720 on: 04 June, 2019, 12:00:30 pm »
Infraspinatus?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2721 on: 04 June, 2019, 01:37:58 pm »
Trapezius?
Rhomboid?

Other quadrilaterals are available; your pain sounds too high for the quadratus lumborum.

« Reply #2722 on: 04 June, 2019, 03:41:26 pm »
Trapezius I suspect. The pain goes from the base of the neck to about the shoulder blade. Rubbed a generous splodge of sticky gel on which made it go away for awhile but its coming back now.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

essexian

« Reply #2723 on: 04 June, 2019, 03:46:07 pm »
Well had my test for Fabry's yesterday. The results may take a month but then again, they aren't expecting to find anything.

Off to the doctors tomorrow for advice on this ongoing sciatica problem I have now had for five weeks. I do hope she can guide me on how to fix it as frankly, I am finding it hard to sleep at night due to the pain.
I have tried the exercises on Youtube but they aren't working for me.  :(

Edited to add:

So, does anyone want my body as frankly, I am fed up with it as not only have I the ongoing issue noted above, I now have gout AGAIN!

Anyway, been to see the GP who is arranging for me to have an MRI and to see a Physio. Hopefully that will fix the problem but I have been told it takes time to resolve but I could have meds to help with the pain. Thanks, but no thanks. All I want to do is ride my bike, be able to walk and go swimming a couple of times a week. Really, is that too much to ask?

« Reply #2724 on: 12 June, 2019, 12:48:31 pm »
Back from the dentist & no work needed.  Praised for the condition of my gums & cleanliness of my teeth.  The Waterpik & electric toothbrush must be doing the job.   

Is it just me changing dentists or have examinations got a lot gentler in the last 30 years ?   I can recall my old dentist sinking probes into every tooth until I winced.  Then again I now think a lot of the fillings he gave me were probably not needed.   Since I changed to my current practice about 20 years ago the number of encounters with the drill has dropped right down.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark