Author Topic: 20" Tyres - Kojak or Marathon?  (Read 10945 times)

LEE

20" Tyres - Kojak or Marathon?
« on: 26 November, 2010, 09:40:57 am »
I'm looking to replace the tyres on my Dahon.  The standard ones don't take high pressure so it can feel a bit like pedalling thru treacle.  I want 100psi approx.

The 2 obvious choices are Schwalbe Marathon 20x1.35 or the equivalent Kojak.

Any experience of these tyres out there?

The bike is only used occasionally but I'd still like it to be as fast as possible when I do use it (but not at the expense of fixing punctures).

I'm on the verge of buying the Kojaks becasue they are very light and will probably liven the bike up (especially with so little weight on a small wheel)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: 20" Tyres - Kojak or Marathon?
« Reply #1 on: 26 November, 2010, 09:57:45 am »
Before getting my Brompton with Kojaks in October, I was expecting to want to use Marathon Plus for the winter, so ordered a pair of those at the same time.  In fact the rubber on the Kojaks is substantially thicker than a proper racing tyre's - so will be more p*nct*r* resistant and durable than expected.  I'll probably just stick with them all the time after all.  Most of my rides on this bike so far have been on wet roads, and the tyres have been fine.

My priorities are low weight to help when carrying the bike, and also the smaller tyre size effectively slightly lowers the gearing.

There are both folding (lighter) and non-folding versions of the Kojak.

Marathon without the Plus: I can't comment on.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #2 on: 26 November, 2010, 10:47:22 am »
I have Marathons on my Brompton and haven't had a...welll..... you know.....and I use on some fairly grim roads and cycle paths - lots of broken bottles and stuff

They seem to run pretty fast, providing I keep the pressures up. 

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #3 on: 26 November, 2010, 10:18:10 pm »
I'm running Marathons (40mm) on my Jetstream- excellent tyres, no problems with them.
You might want to consider Marathon Racers as well- only go up to 85 psi compared to 100 for the regular Marathons, but less weight (295g per vs 440) more than makes up for that. I have a couple that only have very light use, plus another BNIB, if you'd like to try them. I was thinking of having winter/summer tyre sets but didn't bother swapping them over again, and these days the Jetstream doesn't get ridden much anyway.

rdaviesb

« Reply #4 on: 28 November, 2010, 05:03:33 pm »
I have Marathon Racers on my MuXL, and they've been great over the last three years. Getting a bit worn now, but I'll think I'll go for the same again.

« Reply #5 on: 04 December, 2010, 01:00:43 pm »
Whats not been mentioned is 16" Marathons is a PITA to take off to replace with Kojacks (for the BWC.) If you had a you know what whilst cycling, you might be walking home, unless you are strong like me. lol. :smug: It may not apply to a larger 20" tyre.

I'll be happy with either. Not had a 'you know what' on a Maraton for 2000 miles.

And since Oct not had 'you know what' with kojack 300 miles in. Kojacks are okay on snow and ice too. :demon: Happy with either. Marathon have a lovely reflective side wall. Kojacks might be easier to take off, but I don't know because I've not needed to. Wont bother with the Marathon plus. I'd probably be unable to install the buggers on a 16" wheel. The rest I agree with the above posters.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 04 December, 2010, 01:25:08 pm »
Kojaks are no problem to fit and remove from my Brommy wheels.

Marathon Plus can be difficult even with 700C, but there are things you can do to help, including using a toestrap or ziptie.  Shouldn't be a problem once you've refined and practised your technique at home.

« Reply #7 on: 04 December, 2010, 03:04:23 pm »
To fit the Marathons on the Brompton was a real struggle. The Kojaks were an easy fit. The Marathons look stronger, they make the Kojaks look tiny and weak.
But the ride is all of the same, they both do a good job.
The Marathons seem to last forever, the Kojak's I still don't know. Time will tell.

On my Airnimal Joey (24 inch) I changed from Kenda Kwest to Schwalbe Marathon.
The Kenda feels harder, and faster. (Don't know if it just a feeling or if they really are faster). The Marathons feel  more "comfy" but slower.
An advantage for the Marathons is that they don't need that much pressure.

Maybe next summer I will switch the Marathons for the Kenda Kwest's or go for some new Kojak's. (Depends on the experience with them on one of our Bromptons.) . . .

« Reply #8 on: 08 April, 2011, 01:48:21 pm »
I've learnt how to fit the Marathons now.

I've just taken off my Kojacks(550 miles) and saving them for Race day. I've noticed the rear tyre full of cuts yet the inner layer is undisturbed.

On come the old Marathons (1200+ mile) which are still in good condition. Hows everyone's Kojack holding up?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #9 on: 08 April, 2011, 02:03:15 pm »
In nearly 300 miles on my Kojaks: only 1 small cut, and no puctures to the tube.  That's over a mixture of urban and country roads, including some wet ones.

Highly recommended if you're happy with the size.  You might like larger tyres for more comfort, if you don't mind slightly higher gearing as well.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10 on: 12 April, 2011, 10:31:38 pm »
Kojaks are Not Fast.  In fact, I'd say they roll worse than Marathon Pluses, although they are a fraction of the weight, especially in the folding option.  The old Stelvios rolled better.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #11 on: 12 April, 2011, 11:31:57 pm »
Kojaks are Not Fast.  In fact, I'd say they roll worse than Marathon Pluses, although they are a fraction of the weight, especially in the folding option.  The old Stelvios rolled better.

I disagree, but I can trade you two 28-349 Stelvio Lights for a LS jersey?  ;D
Kojaks are my standard tyre, and I've done some Italian ride on them, albeit in 35-559.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #12 on: 18 April, 2011, 11:50:33 am »

I think Roggerzilla has a point reguarding said tyres on Brompton. The Brompton at 10kg - is much heavier than alot of road bikes. And with the robust structure of the Marathons they tend to feel faster on everything but the smoothest of roads (Draw here). Whilst the Kojacks seem to deform whilst under heavy load.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #13 on: 18 April, 2011, 12:07:23 pm »
I haven't compared my Kojaks to any other tyres on the same bike - so I'm limited to what I can conclude, but....

Handling an unfitted Kojak with my fingers, it feels reasonably flexible, and the sidewalls are skinny, so the rolling resistance shouldn't be terribly high.  Of course it's not like a real racing tyre, such as Vittoria Open Corsa, but it's less stiff than some alternatives.

The size might be a factor, however.  A larger tyre, if not over-inflated, might be faster on bumpy roads in the real world, even if the material is stiffer.  Remember, though, that a larger rear tyre raises the gearing.