Author Topic: Pull over, yes YOU, pull over here ( pointy finger mode )  (Read 3396 times)

Pull over, yes YOU, pull over here ( pointy finger mode )
« on: 24 October, 2008, 07:41:37 pm »
I was cycling along London Road in Devizes towards work.  I was in the cycle lane to the left of the carriageway, separated from the main traffic by a white line and green paint on the road.

My JoystickMaxx was flashing and when I am overtaking a lot of cars in the inside lane it is very effective.  I know when the cars have seen me as they move out of the cycle lane or move over, even further away from it.  The lorries are really good too as they move just enough so they are not on the white line.  They actually can't move over any more as they would then block a lorry approaching in the opposite direction. 

Of late due to the roadworks in the town I generally pass a long queue of traffic whilst on this cycle lane.

I knew the van hadn't seen me on the inside when he suddenly came into the cycle lane.  He kept coming.  I banged on the side.  No joy.  He moved off and went back into the main queue and then drove off. 

I set off by this time ticking.  If I had not been alert then I would have been off.

I caught up with the van, yes it was white, at the next roundabout as he was caught in traffic.  I pulled along side, ID out and said politely but with a no nonsense voice "Pull over there, I want to have a word with you" and showed my badge and then moved in front and pointed at the driver and then pointed where I wanted him to go. I then cycled to the spot and waited.

He followed.

There were three men in the van.   I knew this when I spoke in via the open passenger window.  I think surprise was what made them comply with my wishes.  That and the badge.

This was all happening in seconds and I followed up the momentum with a very short but polite explanation about the need for the driver to pay attention and especially be aware of cyclists using the cycle lane.  He passed the attitude test with flying colours, they all did.

Perhaps it was the cannabis smoke in the cab?  ::-)

I then said goodbye and went on my way.

A few miles later and after another queue and then a moving queue due to a JCB and bus that couldn't overtake it, the same van turned left in front of me after following me down Caen Hill.

The passenger put his thumb out the window in a  :thumbsup: mode so I waved.

Job done.

Re: Pull over, yes YOU, pull over here ( pointy finger mode )
« Reply #1 on: 24 October, 2008, 07:47:34 pm »
Nicely done, Grub.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 24 October, 2008, 07:48:08 pm »
What a heart-warming tale to end the week with!

Give yourself a pat on the back Grub.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3 on: 24 October, 2008, 07:53:17 pm »
See!  Nowt like abusing your powers to point out to scrotes their shortcomings, eh...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #4 on: 24 October, 2008, 08:26:31 pm »
Not scrotes, just hard working people that were not concentrating and took my advice with the well intentions intended.

« Reply #5 on: 24 October, 2008, 08:29:31 pm »
Funny really. It's always the same people moaning in this thread.

Can't you see what's afoot?

Taking a control - let's say 5 years, I've only ever had to offer a moton a fist fight twice. And that's thousands of miles all over the place.

If you go looking for trouble you're going to get it.

"Primary position this and primary position that". Ball bags, just get on with it..................
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #6 on: 24 October, 2008, 08:31:35 pm »
I've never offered a fist fight over cycling.  But advice is part of my job.  Perhaps if you saw computer code in the wrong lane you would like to recode it?

« Reply #7 on: 24 October, 2008, 10:57:16 pm »
Well done Occifer ;).

I am gently reminded that sensitive 8) proactive :thumbsup: policing is the only variety that I want my taxes to support.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 24 October, 2008, 11:02:32 pm »
Fist fights?  No.  Never.  Harsh words & annoyance sometimes, but violence (other than the sort meted out by big wheeled metal boxes) never entered into it.
Getting there...

spindrift

« Reply #9 on: 25 October, 2008, 10:30:59 am »
Sensible policing, great story. I often get wafted by pure skunk smoke as I pass builders' vans in The City at.....7 am!

« Reply #10 on: 25 October, 2008, 10:40:46 pm »
They said that was one of the reasons for the delay with the new Wembley Stadium.  The Aussie builders were too busy spliffing it up all the time to build.

« Reply #11 on: 25 October, 2008, 10:49:26 pm »
They said that was one of the reasons for the delay with the new Wembley Stadium.  The Aussie builders were too busy spliffing it up all the time to build.

You'd think there'd be a law against it...
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Jakob

« Reply #12 on: 25 October, 2008, 11:12:06 pm »

You'd think there'd be a law against it...

Which bit? Wembley, Aussie Builders or spliffing it?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #13 on: 25 October, 2008, 11:14:23 pm »

The only problem with that apocryphal story is that there weren't any Aussie builders, other than foremen, working on Wembley.  Most of them were British, East European or Spanish.

From what I was told, the most unreliable were the British.  Even the Spanish turned up, although they took long lunchbreaks.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

border-rider

« Reply #14 on: 25 October, 2008, 11:18:29 pm »

From what I was told

If you're going to make an accusation at least have the bollocks to make it yourself, and to substantiate it.

but I guess that's your usual MO...

Bendy-buses, like atheism, are a danger to the public at large

Zoidburg

« Reply #15 on: 25 October, 2008, 11:37:38 pm »
Some say that he came from the stars, others say a semi detatched house in the south of england

What we do know though is that he cycles the land...fighting injustice

« Reply #16 on: 26 October, 2008, 08:09:44 am »
If you're going to make an accusation at least have the bollocks to make it yourself, and to substantiate it.

but I guess that's your usual MO...

Bendy-buses, like atheism, are a danger to the public at large

Easy gentlemen!!

OTOH it's an easy one to believe - did anyone watch the Huff episode of Grand Designs?  All German efficiency, except for the Brit side letting them down.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #17 on: 26 October, 2008, 01:40:00 pm »
Some say that he came from the stars, others say a semi detatched house in the south of england

What we do know though is that he cycles the land...fighting injustice

Pissed myself at this one Zoiders.