Author Topic: Specific London routes  (Read 889 times)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Specific London routes
« on: 24 April, 2014, 11:05:47 am »
Will be up in Queens Park, north London (near Edgeware road) over the weekend, and I'm hankering to cycle (for the first time!) on them streets. Specifically, from QP to Stoke Newington where one of my sons is living, and give him a surprise: "Dah-dah! It's Dad!" Most likely he'll be out, but that's beside the point. The point is, to allay the fears my wife has of London streets.

If anyone has a lovely notion of a route from my A to B, which will have one's fellow travelers doffing caps, holding doors open for ladies; taxicab drivers emitting "Good Morning Guv'nor!" "Gawd bless ya!" and such, instead of the expected glower of a mono browed morons giving me their opinion in loud Anglo Saxon verbage, I would be extremely grateful.

I'd even like to venture down to The Thames to see the appropriate sights.

If the weather's rubbish, maybe I won't be doing any of that mind.

Thank you. <country/provincial town mouse>
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Specific London routes
« Reply #1 on: 24 April, 2014, 11:11:29 am »
Getting there...

Riggers

« Reply #2 on: 24 April, 2014, 12:03:07 pm »
Ordered some yesterday actually!

ian

« Reply #3 on: 24 April, 2014, 12:16:40 pm »
The TfL journey planner uses the same routing as the maps (as far as I can tell). Like any cycle routing, your milage might vary. Often literally.

« Reply #4 on: 24 April, 2014, 12:56:53 pm »
If you are not in a rush, then the nicest way would be to use the canal, picking it up here https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=51.525841,-0.206605&spn=0.004799,0.013078&t=m&z=17 for example and taking the Regents Canal through to Camden

My preference there would be to use Camden Road out, quieter options are available but actually it is a reasonable cycle route

Riggers

« Reply #5 on: 24 April, 2014, 01:19:38 pm »
Thanks Hammers. It all depends on the weather this weekend, because I'm not cycling in rubbish weather, but we'll see. Been down to Little Venice once. Very pretty.

Hamilton Terrace I've driven down, and is graced by huge Georgian Houses (if you drop down to Ham's map's streetview you'll see what I mean), which leads to St John's Wood Road, which again is a wide road, and although can be busy wide roads at least allow people to give you a fair amount of room. The choices, the choices!

« Reply #6 on: 24 April, 2014, 01:40:43 pm »
Thanks Hammers. It all depends on the weather this weekend, because I'm not cycling in rubbish weather, but we'll see. Been down to Little Venice once. Very pretty.

Hamilton Terrace I've driven down, and is graced by huge Georgian Houses, which leads to St John's Wood Road, which again is a wide road, and although can be busy wide roads at least allow people to give you a fair amount of room.

I don't remember you....

The bad news is that Little Venice is the one section you can't cycle on.  Here's how you navigate around, and I just realised I suggested you join at the point where you have to come off.... doh!

If you were to come off there, then you go against the traffic on the pavement Delamare Terrace, which is possibly a shared use cycle path, left across the bridge then right into Blomfield Road. The first bit is a short bit of one-way, so you can either (a) cycle through (b) walk through (c) do a left - right -right - left around. Take Blomfield Road all the way to the Edgware Road, straight across into Aberdeen place. Where Aberdeen place bears left there is a path that will take you back to the canal. Keep on the left hand bank, and you will get to Camden automatically (as long as you pedal).

Riggers

« Reply #7 on: 24 April, 2014, 03:52:57 pm »
Had a quick streetview look at Delamare Terrace. Gosh, I'd forgotten what a moneyed area it is. If money is posh, this is it.

Riggers

« Reply #8 on: 28 April, 2014, 08:53:38 am »
For them's that interested: didn't take the bike. Walked a neighbour's dog in Queen's Park instead and went to the local Farmer's Market.

Saw Mark Strong in Queen's Park on Sunday.