Author Topic: Bradley Wiggins 2010 TDF Winner?  (Read 3759 times)

Bradley Wiggins 2010 TDF Winner?
« on: 19 July, 2009, 10:45:30 pm »
About time we had a thread for our top British TDF rider.
Watching today on ITV player, I reckon he could certainly be a contender next year, even if not this year.
He's climbing with the best and has the TT ability. Doesn't seem to be fading either.
I reckon he'll get one over on Lance in a tough mountain stage, unless Lance is playing his tricks which he often does. Even so, Lance would have a hard day trying to lose Wiggo, if he even can.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Bradley Wiggins 2010 TDF Winner?
« Reply #1 on: 19 July, 2009, 10:50:02 pm »
I don't think he wants it enough, and he'd need a team built completely around his needs, which I'm not sure he currently has.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 19 July, 2009, 10:53:37 pm »
Not if Contador is riding.

« Reply #3 on: 19 July, 2009, 10:58:54 pm »
Yes, but a TDF victory is quite a prize and if his team and boss reckon he's got it, then I expect they'll be trying to prepare a team to keep him in yellow for next year.
I don't think he entered with the idea of winning, so he hasn't had the mental build up this year. He's just done a lot better than he expected and finding new talents. I think it's more that he doesn't feel that he can do it (yet) and isn't going to blow himself to pieces and lose what he has, than try and take something that is a bit out of his reach.

« Reply #4 on: 19 July, 2009, 11:14:02 pm »
He was looking very cool until the second half of the last climb.  Very impressive.

« Reply #5 on: 19 July, 2009, 11:26:13 pm »
TG's right that the boost of finding yourself up with the leaders can transform the way you see yourself. Having the confidence to go for it is more than half the battle. Next year will be interesting for Wiggins watchers.

« Reply #6 on: 20 July, 2009, 08:32:52 am »
TG's right that the boost of finding yourself up with the leaders can transform the way you see yourself.

That's how I felt when I won my first audax

« Reply #7 on: 20 July, 2009, 08:36:05 am »
Don;t be daft. The commissars haven't had their say yet. They'll find some way to spoil the party. Wrong colour socks or something, illegal sunglasses.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #8 on: 20 July, 2009, 09:47:59 am »
Don;t be daft. The commissars haven't had their say yet. They'll find some way to spoil the party. Wrong colour socks or something, illegal sunglasses.

Weetabix abuse

« Reply #9 on: 20 July, 2009, 09:52:30 am »
TG's right that the boost of finding yourself up with the leaders can transform the way you see yourself.

That's how I felt when I won my first audax

I can relate to that. In my first year of being a member of my club I became one of the Champions.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #10 on: 20 July, 2009, 09:53:52 am »
I don't think he wants it enough, and he'd need a team built completely around his needs, which I'm not sure he currently has.

I'd disagree for a number of reasons.
1) The Giro showed that he could climb with the best for at least a couple of days in a row. This makes the idea of a top 20 GC finish credible.
2) He does want it enough. You cannot climb on the limit like that and suffer in such a way unless you really want it.
3) This year is exploratory. Unless something goes wrong, he will still be 1.46 behind Contador before the TT at Annecy.  Then he can really explore what he is capable of on the climb of Ventoux. He should have enough of a time buffer over Sastre/Armstrong/Schleck.
4) The team is built around Christian Van de Velde but can easily switch to supporting Brad.  This much has been stated, and it seems the team ethos is excellent. Expect to see Millar/VdV riding to support Brad on Ventoux.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #11 on: 20 July, 2009, 10:32:48 am »
This years Garmin team isn't strong enough to set the pace in the mountains as they might have had to do if they were in yellow.  But it's not really set up to go all out for the GC - they have a sprinter for one.  If Wiggins podiums this year, then I think they would set out at next year's tour to be a more focussed team, with better climbers (and maybe another body for the TTT).

gonzo

« Reply #12 on: 20 July, 2009, 12:49:20 pm »
This years Garmin team isn't strong enough to set the pace in the mountains as they might have had to do if they were in yellow.  But it's not really set up to go all out for the GC - they have a sprinter for one.  If Wiggins podiums this year, then I think they would set out at next year's tour to be a more focussed team, with better climbers (and maybe another body for the TTT).

I think that Garmin have the most TTers out of any team. It's worth bearing in mind that this year is particularly TT heavy.

« Reply #13 on: 20 July, 2009, 01:08:36 pm »
I guess - it's just the way that the TTT ended with their 5 top guys riding for more than half of it with no help.  Columbia and Astana have several top TTers as well...

gonzo

« Reply #14 on: 20 July, 2009, 01:11:31 pm »
I guess - it's just the way that the TTT ended with their 5 top guys riding for more than half of it with no help.  Columbia and Astana have several top TTers as well...
I think the problem was that their very good TTers managed to set a pace too high for the other to follow.

« Reply #15 on: 20 July, 2009, 01:20:19 pm »
A hot pace which still wasn't good enough to win.  The other riders don't seem to have done much in the mountains either.  So excepting Farrar, who's done OK with no lead out man, you've got 3 guys who haven't done much - replace them with 2 good climbers and another TT guy and you've got a squad that could win and defend a yellow jersey.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #16 on: 20 July, 2009, 03:10:41 pm »

Weetabix abuse

Breathing in and out too often

Once went for a drink with Cav.

« Reply #17 on: 20 July, 2009, 03:11:23 pm »
sp/riding/hasn't got caught/

gonzo

« Reply #18 on: 20 July, 2009, 06:23:57 pm »
"The Garmin team member is lying third in the Tour and has previously vowed to become the first Briton to win it."
BBC SPORT | Other sport... | Cycling | Wiggins may quit track for Tour

Also, this interview is quite amusing with hindsight:
BBC SPORT | Other sport... | Cycling | I'm going to win the Tour - Wiggins

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 15 March, 2011, 09:47:58 am »
I like Wiggins, and his refreshing honesty with the media, but I think I've finally lost patience with his Twitter feed. If he's not boring us with this iPod/breakfast choices, he's slagging off people for no good reason:

# Paris CDG=Toilet 7:13 PM Mar 4th via Twitter for BlackBerry®

# Quick the plane has landed turn your phone on and see if anyone has txt you in the last 50min 7:10 PM Mar 4th via Twitter for BlackBerry®

# Busting out my new bad boy Adidas London's Yfrog Photo : yfrog.com/h7h6mxhj  - Shared by bradwiggins 3:49 PM Mar 4th via Twitter for BlackBerry®

# Listening to Weller-You do something to me while my little girl is helping me pack my suitcase 3:03 PM Mar 4th via Twitter for BlackBerry®
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #20 on: 15 March, 2011, 09:09:38 pm »
sp/riding/hasn't got caught/

Whoo.
Spooky Tewdric  ;)