Author Topic: Glenn Longland and Dominic Irvine's tandem LEJOG attempt  (Read 3864 times)

Re: Glenn Longland and Dominic Irvine's tandem LEJOG attempt
« Reply #25 on: 07 May, 2014, 10:57:10 am »
The weather is key. You need a nice big low pressure over Ireland essentially. Then you need to have your whole team ready to go at that moment in time. Without the right weather it's a very difficult record to break. We had forecast SE veering S increasing in strength. I anticipated being a bit behind schedule up to the Severn Bridge and then recovering time then on in, with a really nice S wind as we approached Scotland. Sadly just as the tail wind really kicked in Glenn took a turn for the worse and the SE at the start was more easterly than anticipated.

The traffic is much worse - Warrington to south of Kendal is just one long massive conurbation with lights after lights. Get a run of reds and it's like interval training and very tiring. This lasts for 76 miles. On the upside we have the Severn bridge which they didn't, and the A30 whilst an evil horrible road to ride is probably faster than the country lanes they were confined to.

The record was a magnificent achievement when set. I've had two cracks at this now and each time come away with greater respect and more humility for their astounding achievement. The bottom line is they were awesome cyclists who rode damn fast and we weren't good enough.

« Reply #26 on: 07 May, 2014, 11:27:16 am »
The new A30 is faster than the old single carriageway which still runs alongside in places, but it's still a pretty fast road.
The route is a fair bit shorter than it was in 1966 because of new bridges, especially in Scotland.

That stretch from Warington is a PITA. When I did a ride of a similar nature to yours I timed it so that I'd do that bit at night to avoid traffic jams. I was at Warrington at arond midnight and a truckstop north of Preston for breakfast. It surprises me that record attempts don't use a similar plan. Hoppo doesn't sem to do what I did either when he's been going for his LE-JOG-LE. If do this section in the early hours and you have a support car you could probably send it up the road a little way to trigger off the traffic lights to get a green run too!

If you don't know, there is also a way to the Forth Road Bridge which avoids Edinburgh and is also a few miles shorter than going via Edinburgh. Easily found by using googlemaps route planner on "walking" from Carlisle to FRB.

Records are a lot about circumstance and all the stars coming into alignment. The 1966 record was done by two of the very best of their time with everything going right. Having a capable rider is just a part of it. Harder still when you need two capable riders. Then it's down to planning and a bit of luck.

FWIW, Wilko had a fair bit of headwind on his 1991 LE-JOG record, which he only just got.

« Reply #27 on: 07 May, 2014, 11:30:09 am »
Jane is leaving Lands End at 06:00 on Monday August 4th.
Schedule is fairly relaxed as the standard to beat is quite generous.
If the wind is good we might pick up the shorter ones but the big two are the primary objectives.

Logistical nightmare but all part of the fun.

Ladies longbarrow is for later as is the mixed  :)

There might be another solo bike attempt to - but that isn't official yet.

Good luck on that Jane!

Would the solo attempt be a certain Hippy?
He could do it on paper, going by his Mersey 24 distance being more than what Gethin Butler has ever done in a 24. He did look very strong and it'd be good to see him do it.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #28 on: 07 May, 2014, 01:52:06 pm »
The weather is key. You need a nice big low pressure over Ireland essentially. Then you need to have your whole team ready to go at that moment in time. Without the right weather it's a very difficult record to break. We had forecast SE veering S increasing in strength. I anticipated being a bit behind schedule up to the Severn Bridge and then recovering time then on in, with a really nice S wind as we approached Scotland. Sadly just as the tail wind really kicked in Glenn took a turn for the worse and the SE at the start was more easterly than anticipated.

The traffic is much worse - Warrington to south of Kendal is just one long massive conurbation with lights after lights. Get a run of reds and it's like interval training and very tiring. This lasts for 76 miles. On the upside we have the Severn bridge which they didn't, and the A30 whilst an evil horrible road to ride is probably faster than the country lanes they were confined to.

The record was a magnificent achievement when set. I've had two cracks at this now and each time come away with greater respect and more humility for their astounding achievement. The bottom line is they were awesome cyclists who rode damn fast and we weren't good enough.
Interesting stuff, thanks for that!

My knowledge of tandems is purely 2nd-hand from various experts (and LWAB), but it's clear that any record that has lasted since 1966 - through quite a few serious challenges - is not to be sniffed at  :thumbsup:

And good luck Jane, of course!

( I sense various cheer-leading rides in the planning ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles