Author Topic: [HAMR] Steve's Kit  (Read 54514 times)

Re: Steve's Kit
« Reply #175 on: 14 February, 2015, 07:49:04 pm »
In the video interview with Hoppo on Tarzan's facebook page, Hoppo says "Steve's done some wheels in".  I remember reading about one puncture and one wheel bearing problem here, but were there more  wheel failures?

Bryn

« Reply #176 on: 14 February, 2015, 09:32:50 pm »
I am not convinced by the temperature figures on Steve's Strava logs.  For example today it shows zero degrees for the bulk of the ride apart from the stops whereas the weather reports suggest that it was more like 3-4 degC in the area where he was cycling.

Well, quoted figures tend to be based on being in a built-up area /conurbation where it does tend to be warmer than out in the sticks where Steve spends most of his rides.

I agree that Met Office etc forecast temperatures appear to be based on built-up areas but I was looking at recorded temperatures from places like Wittering which has a real 'sticks' feel about it.

On a related thought  -  do you get frost hollows in the Fens ?

Do the GPSs feel a bit exposed on the bars of the bike?
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #177 on: 14 February, 2015, 10:13:10 pm »
Depends on the location of the sensor. Supposedly not an issue with the Edge 1000, so if Steve is uploading from that rather than the other devices, you'd expect it to be fairly accurate.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #178 on: 20 February, 2015, 11:14:19 am »

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #179 on: 04 March, 2015, 10:30:13 pm »
Steve's Mug

The picture on FB tonight taken at his hosts in Ashby shows a giant Union Jack mug. This has featured in other pictures. Does he take it with him or does he only stay with hosts who have such a beverage receptacle?
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #180 on: 04 March, 2015, 10:51:44 pm »
WE lent him one of ours when he was with us  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #181 on: 05 March, 2015, 03:29:35 pm »
Not sure where this bit fits in but as someone whose followed this from the beginning I'd be interested in hearing of Steve's 'other' daily tasks.
Just the ordinary things...
Has he had his hair cut yet?
Does he watch TV when he gets in to unwind (or does he have other ways to relax)?
Does he miss anything whilst he's out cycling (apart from beer)?
Did he enjoy his visit to Brooks saddles?
That kind of thing.

Not sure it needs a link of it's own but I'm sure people would be interested how he can do all that cycling and find time to eat, sleep, read etc.

« Reply #182 on: 15 March, 2015, 10:55:30 pm »
It's a while since we've had any updates on Steve's bikes.

Can any helpers or host shed light on how they are fairing ?

We've had some snippets :

His best (Stans 340) front wheel was in for a hub repair
A couple of tyre problems early on.
Rotated thru all 3 bikes so far.
Bike 1 was on 2nd cassette and 3rd chain (?) early Feb.

Are the tyres wearing thin yet or being replaced routinely ?
Disc pads working /wearing okay ?
Electronics/connectors holding up ?

Need Chris Juden to go for a ride with him...................

citoyen

« Reply #183 on: 16 March, 2015, 09:17:20 pm »
A classic case of "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is"

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #184 on: 17 March, 2015, 09:55:59 am »
^^^Garmin reinvents Microsoft's marketing policy.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #185 on: 17 March, 2015, 12:09:23 pm »
What I'm interested to know about is Steve's washing.  Do his hosts have enough time to turn around an overnight wash and tumble-dry of his cycling kit?  Does Steve carry a full set of everything in the Carradice?  Does he do his own washing when at home - if so, wouldn't it disturb his precious sleep to have to get the clothes out of the washer and into the dryer?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #186 on: 17 March, 2015, 12:11:14 pm »
Indeed, and what about normal people who don't have tumble driers?  Presumably radiator tactics are required, but I'd have thought that shorts pads for example might still be damp with the number of hours available.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #187 on: 17 March, 2015, 12:22:43 pm »
We washed his clothes and spun them three times before hanging them up carefully. All dry 5 hours later.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #188 on: 18 March, 2015, 07:27:01 am »
Indeed, and what about normal people who don't have tumble driers?  Presumably radiator tactics are required, but I'd have thought that shorts pads for example might still be damp with the number of hours available.

Nope. Normal people don’t have tumble dryers, so when I ride to my riverside caravan, I hand wash my kit, hang them on hangers in a doorway with a 2kW blow heater pointing at them. They are dry by time I get back from the site restaurant.  ;) ;D

« Reply #189 on: 18 March, 2015, 09:00:06 am »
Yes, it does involve the 1200 spin cycle and serious radiator action.
It is a busy time for hosts, especially if the bike is filthy and requires a "proper" clean.

« Reply #190 on: 18 March, 2015, 09:05:01 am »
If I need to dry clothing overnight at home the key is a 30o wash with 1200 or greater spin speed followed by a few hours on economy 7 overnight in a room with a dehumidifier*.   Seems to be the ultimate solution.   :thumbsup:

I would never put any synthetics in a tumble dryer, especially lycra.

*  Of course, I appreciate that not everybody has a dehumidifier.

« Reply #191 on: 18 March, 2015, 09:34:00 am »
The trick is to have a movement of dry, air around the garments at a temperature greater than the moisture in the garments.
Refreshing damp air with dry will allow the moisture on the garments to vapourise more readily due to the difference in humidty.

« Reply #192 on: 18 March, 2015, 09:54:07 am »
What I'm interested to know about is Steve's washing.  Do his hosts have enough time to turn around an overnight wash and tumble-dry of his cycling kit?  Does Steve carry a full set of everything in the Carradice?  Does he do his own washing when at home - if so, wouldn't it disturb his precious sleep to have to get the clothes out of the washer and into the dryer?
I just want to make it abundantly clear that I do not have a tumble-dryer, and have no idea what proportion of households own one.  I make do (as I'm sure most of you do) with line-drying on fine days, drying smalls on a 'clippy hanger' over the woodburner in winter, radiator-juggling and sticking things in the airing cupboard if they're a smidge damp.  But then, I'm not spending nearly every single waking hour on a bicycle and often being away from home.

macnark

• Cake and Tea solves all.
« Reply #193 on: 18 March, 2015, 11:18:28 am »
I have one of those oscillating fans (which I set to fixed).

If I need a jersey or tights dried pronto, I do up the zip, and put the lower hem of the jersey or the waistband of the tights around the fan, which is just a bit bigger diameter than my waist, so a good airtight fit.

The air inflates the garment and dries it pretty rapidly.

Fresh air in room is essential, if windows are closed, it all gets too humid and nothing will dry.

« Reply #194 on: 18 March, 2015, 11:23:28 am »
I used to do that at work, until the fan broke and they refused to replace it.

I tumble dry lycra. It doesn't shrivel up and disintegrate.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #195 on: 18 March, 2015, 11:30:19 am »
Dehumidifiers are good for drying clothes.

citoyen

« Reply #196 on: 18 March, 2015, 11:42:48 am »
I tumble dry lycra. It doesn't shrivel up and disintegrate.

You do need to be careful though - I've had various bits of sports kit ruined by tumble drying over the years.

Our current tumble dryer has a synthetics setting, which is fine for lycra, though I still prefer to drip-dry cycling gear if there's no time pressure.

« Reply #197 on: 18 March, 2015, 05:27:07 pm »
Snagging on zips on other sharp things is my main concern with lycra in tumble dryers (that and the cost)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #198 on: 18 March, 2015, 08:18:49 pm »
I've turned around a set of cycling kit overnight for his Leggship once.  And in under 4 hours while he went for a nap (between getting to the Den post 'Spoons and getting woken up for some macc+cheese before a train back south) for Tynan after an Easter Arrow.  Without a tumble dryer, making judicious use of the super-fast cycle on the washing machine, an extra spin and radiators.  It's do-able, but sleep limiting.

TGS

« Reply #199 on: 22 March, 2015, 12:31:07 am »
Steve arrived here at 9, went to be shortly after 10 and threw the kit to be washed outside the bedroom door. I put it all back, clean and dry just after midnight. Tumble dryers do it for me!

The space age ear gizmo that was enquired about recently is a Cardo BK1 bluetooth phone / music thingy.

The exposure light has been retired in favour of a hope 4 LED light (vision 4 ?) with battery pack in the carradice. He's carrying 1 of the BBB lights as opposed to 2 earlier in the year - the bars are now a lot less cluttered.

He's on the red bike, but with the new silver wheels - and the bike is looking good, Everything is as it should be. I asked how many punctures and the obvious answer was "I don't know - they repair themselves" ( :facepalm:). It looks like a new cassette, chains are changed regularly.

The hope light with a spare battery pack (plus of course lengthening days) has simplified charging somewhat - Everything is charged and back on the bike ready for the off. There are a lot of rechargeables - AAs & AAAs - my Maplin rapid charger has got through about 5 sets since 9pm - of course they were not all empty before I started. Looking at his kit it is obvious that all the research is paying off.

And I think by now his arse has moulded itself to the shape of the extra thick leather B17 Pro!