Author Topic: Some race pictures..  (Read 1321 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Some race pictures..
« on: 21 May, 2012, 10:43:24 pm »
Club stage race this weekend. Beautiful weather and gorgeous scenery.

The first stage is a prologue up Dundee Law, the same hill that featured in the Kelloggs Tour in the late 80s.
Pain is what it is all about.

Untitled by davidmamartin, on Flickr

Stage 2 takes in some flattish scenery. The yellow jersey was attentive on the front of the bunch.

A breakaway was up to a minute ahead for most of the race but was reeled in on the last lap. "My dad's a really good cyclist" said the 6yo son of #56 - and very true his words are.

The final 3 miles are a gently increasing climb. Young rider Callum attacked at the bottom. "Too early" thought many but he just held off the chasing bunch to take a fine win.

Calum Foster wins stage 1 by davidmamartin, on Flickr

The final stage passes Macbeth's home four times. Here the riders are just passing the car park at Dunsinane Hill (we don't go to Birnam Wood). I couldn't get at the camera till lap 3, and these are shot from the passenger seat of the service van.

"When shall we three meet again?" by davidmamartin, on Flickr

After a wee while this is followed by the descent of Jock's Brae. Sponsored by Persil, I was leaning out the window of the van doing 50+mph. 1 km of 1:10 in a pack of racing cyclists is not for the faint hearted.

DSC_5178 by davidmamartin, on Flickr
 A scenic but not too steep ascent of the Knapp climb (though this is not through the Knapp village itself) follows - it twists and turns with varying gradient for a 7-8 minute climb at race pace. Some riders lose contact here - 42 does not have the answer. The hill is bad enough, but seeing the pack ride away from you is misery upon pain.

DSC_5193 by davidmamartin, on Flickr
Then to the finish. I hand the camera to a young lad I know to take whatever he can.
A storming solo win. We looked for the rider after he crossed the line but he had disappeared. " I had to meet my dad at 2 at Camperdown [12 miles away] and it was already 5 past when I finished so I kept on going". Hard man indeed.

DSC_5207 by davidmamartin, on Flickr

Bunch sprint for second with what remains of the bunch - 9 riders in the chasing group. Out of nearly 60 starters only 41 finished.

DSC_5224 by davidmamartin, on Flickr

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes