Author Topic: Corran ferry to be replaced by a bridge ?  (Read 6785 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Corran ferry to be replaced by a bridge ?
« Reply #25 on: 20 February, 2020, 01:07:42 pm »
It's a while since I spent some serious time in Kilchoan, but back then the locals didn't use the Tobermory ferry much but preferred to go to Fort William. And I always thought most of the kids went to Ardnamurchan High in Strontian - though with parental choice they could well go to either. Of course things may well have changed nowadays.

Ardnamurchan high opened in 2002, I was getting my info from a teacher who was at Tobermory before then.
When the Mulleachs need a big shop, they go to Oban. There's no big shop on Mull.

The ferry used to simply be titled "Ardnamurchan" in the time table, but it's not "Ardnamurchan and Mull"
https://www.calmac.co.uk/tobermory-kilchoan-ardnamurchan-mull-ferry-winter-timetable

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #26 on: 20 February, 2020, 04:49:42 pm »
Anyone remember the days when there was a ferry between Kylesku and Kylestone on the Ullapool-Durness road?  When that was replaced by a bridge, the ferry itself was sailed around the coast to connect Glenelg with the Isle of Skye at Kylerhea, which is a much more pleasant way of getting to the island than using the bridge (although the climb up the other side is a bugger on a fully loaded touring bike). 

I imagine by now most people would never suspect there was ever a ferry there, apart from those that look at the photos in the pub.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #27 on: 20 February, 2020, 05:13:29 pm »
You used to have to throw a 6 to get into stromeferry and a 6 to get out again on my mums old Touring Scotland game.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #28 on: 20 February, 2020, 06:03:01 pm »
Anyone remember the days when there was a ferry between Kylesku and Kylestone on the Ullapool-Durness road?  When that was replaced by a bridge, the ferry itself was sailed around the coast to connect Glenelg with the Isle of Skye at Kylerhea, which is a much more pleasant way of getting to the island than using the bridge (although the climb up the other side is a bugger on a fully loaded touring bike). 

I imagine by now most people would never suspect there was ever a ferry there, apart from those that look at the photos in the pub.

Hm, the video I found of the last crossings shows that was called "Maid of Kylesku"; but the Maid of Glencoul... yes the current Corran ferry back up was built for the Kylesku crossing.
The previous corran ferry relief was Rosehaugh, which was displaced from Kessock

The Glenacullish was built for the ferry at Ballachulish surprisingly as late as 1969, the bridge opened 1975 and she's been at Glenelg since 1982.
Turns out she was backup ferry at Kylesku, Kessock and Corran in the gap.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #29 on: 20 February, 2020, 06:03:38 pm »
You used to have to throw a 6 to get into stromeferry and a 6 to get out again on my mums old Touring Scotland game.

These days you have to hope you don't roll a 6 and bring the side of the mountain down on the road.

« Reply #30 on: 20 February, 2020, 06:49:06 pm »

Yes, and I was one of the last people to use it (on my first cycle tour). Must have been 1984.

« Reply #31 on: 21 February, 2020, 09:08:29 am »
Talk of the Corran ferry reminds me of the Daylight 600, probably the nicest 600 I ever rode.   I was lucky enough to ride it 7 times in the period 1994 - 2003 in the company of a number of AUK legends who are no longer with us but live in my memories.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #32 on: 21 February, 2020, 09:59:08 am »

The Glenacullish was built for the ferry at Ballachulish surprisingly as late as 1969, the bridge opened 1975 and she's been at Glenelg since 1982.
Turns out she was backup ferry at Kylesku, Kessock and Corran in the gap.

Ah, I may have misunderstood what I was told at the pub in Kylesku when I asked about the photos. I had enjoyed a few pints by that point in the evening, as my reward for cycling the coastal route from Ullapool that day.  :D
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #33 on: 21 February, 2020, 10:04:11 am »
Talk of the Corran ferry reminds me of the Daylight 600, probably the nicest 600 I ever rode.   I was lucky enough to ride it 7 times in the period 1994 - 2003 in the company of a number of AUK legends who are no longer with us but live in my memories.

That was Jack Eason's favourite 600 and one of mine. I did my fastest innertube change on the 1997 Daylight, thanks to the midges.

rob

« Reply #34 on: 21 February, 2020, 10:29:17 am »

That was Jack Eason's favourite 600 and one of mine. I did my fastest innertube change on the 1997 Daylight, thanks to the midges.

I only ever did it twice.   I think 1997 & 1999.  Absolutely stunning ride.

bairn again

« Reply #35 on: 21 February, 2020, 10:32:24 am »
Ive long been of the belief that theres a new version of the Daylight possible that avoids the rat race that the A82 has become but retains the essence of the original. 

However as the A85 is also unavoidable I reckon it would need (a) A night start so A85 is used westbound in the dead of night / early morning and eastbound late at night and (b) a start/finish further west. 

Something like Stirling - Crieff - Aberfeldy - Connel - Corran ferry - Strontian - Lochailort - Ft William - Connel - Comrie  :thumbsup: - Stirling

Corran would be about 270km so with the 1st ferry from Nether Lochaber 0630, a 2100 start would work for a range of speeds.   

Its a very very long leg from the start to the 1st shop opening though, maybe Killin or even Crianlarich for quicker riders.     

Dalmally with its shiny big village hall about 470km might come in handy.

Midge avoidance would require an early season slot so maybe one best suited for 2023. 

<Pops idea into "look at this again in a couple of years" file>       

rob

« Reply #36 on: 21 February, 2020, 10:37:40 am »
please.....not ridden in Scotland for years...….

« Reply #37 on: 21 February, 2020, 10:50:20 am »

Go and ride the Mark Beaumont/GCN version of the North Coast 500. You won't be disappointed!

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #38 on: 21 February, 2020, 10:52:55 am »

Stromeferry no ferry  :)

rob

« Reply #39 on: 21 February, 2020, 12:05:47 pm »

Go and ride the Mark Beaumont/GCN version of the North Coast 500. You won't be disappointed!

There's chance I might do Andy Uttley's 600 but not planning past mid May at the moment.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #40 on: 21 February, 2020, 02:12:35 pm »
Ive long been of the belief that theres a new version of the Daylight possible that avoids the rat race that the A82 has become but retains the essence of the original. 

However as the A85 is also unavoidable I reckon it would need (a) A night start so A85 is used westbound in the dead of night / early morning and eastbound late at night and (b) a start/finish further west. 

Something like Stirling - Crieff - Aberfeldy - Connel - Corran ferry - Strontian - Lochailort - Ft William - Connel - Comrie  :thumbsup: - Stirling

<Pops idea into "look at this again in a couple of years" file>       

This is how I ended up wittling it down to Tyndrum or Crianlarich as start point for riding the Perm in August.
Tyndrum ended up winning as it's got a surprisingly good selection of accommodation, a shop that claims to open at 7am, a "american diner" that claims to shut at 10, pubs till midnight (but then so does Crianlarich) and with 2 train stations anyone arriving by train can still use both parts.

Would prefer not to ride down to Queensferry but McNasty's option of riding to Newport would mean riding home with 130k to go and that's not ideal!

A Route tweak I considered was rather than heading down Glen Ogle, head out to Pitlochry by the 3 Ts, Tay, Tummel and Trinafour.
But then Comrie and the sma glen would probably work just as well and be less leg breaky.
Unfortunately the perm uses Fort William as a control, so can't just roll round Ardgour and take advantage of the cycle track from the ferry to Oban, youv'e got the ugly blast out of Fort william to the ferry to handle first... hoping to talk McNasty into allowing a photo of FortBill from Camusnagaul tbh.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #41 on: 21 February, 2020, 02:58:36 pm »
One of my lads is working on Knoydart. Drove him to Mallaig in October or November last year. It was horrendous getting past the traffic at the Corran ferry.  When I got on the A830 I found the reason why - fatal road accident and road closed (it didn't re-open until about 10/11 pm. The option was to go back to the Corran Ferry but I wouldn't get to Mallaig in time for the Knoydart ferry. Left my lad in Fort William with about 3 bags and his bike, he got the late train and slept in the station waiting room until the first ferry the following day.

You could understand locals wanting another option for situations like that but having done a few runs with him to Mallaig I wouldn't choose a bridge (or the ferry for that matter) because of the roads on the other side - but a bridge would probably attract tourists in camper vans would which wouldn't be good :(

« Reply #42 on: 21 February, 2020, 04:07:08 pm »
Posted by: teethgrinder
« on: Today at 10:04:11 am That was Jack Eason's favourite 600 and one of mine.

Oh yes, "struggling" Uncle Jack Eason with his green bike, baggy shorts and his pipe, happy memories!   

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #43 on: 21 February, 2020, 04:16:48 pm »
I did the Daylight in 1996.
The best.

« Reply #44 on: 21 February, 2020, 05:26:29 pm »
This is how I ended up wittling it down to Tyndrum or Crianlarich as start point for riding the Perm in August.
Tyndrum ended up winning as it's got a surprisingly good selection of accommodation, a shop that claims to open at 7am, a "american diner" that claims to shut at 10, pubs till midnight (but then so does Crianlarich) and with 2 train stations anyone arriving by train can still use both parts.
On @bairn again's WH1000, the shop at Tyndrum (N end) was operating well before 6am (Sunday), as were the midges: 'Brodies Mini-market.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #45 on: 21 February, 2020, 05:55:02 pm »
One of my lads is working on Knoydart. Drove him to Mallaig in October or November last year. It was horrendous getting past the traffic at the Corran ferry.  When I got on the A830 I found the reason why - fatal road accident and road closed (it didn't re-open until about 10/11 pm. The option was to go back to the Corran Ferry but I wouldn't get to Mallaig in time for the Knoydart ferry. Left my lad in Fort William with about 3 bags and his bike, he got the late train and slept in the station waiting room until the first ferry the following day.

You could understand locals wanting another option for situations like that but having done a few runs with him to Mallaig I wouldn't choose a bridge (or the ferry for that matter) because of the roads on the other side - but a bridge would probably attract tourists in camper vans would which wouldn't be good :(

It's really for the people living between Ardgour and Ardnamurchan point to better connect them to Fort William, than about Fort Williamites going on a jolly.  The ferry is by considerably shorter for them and Highland council are trying to get shot of it from their budget sheet.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #46 on: 21 February, 2020, 06:06:20 pm »
On @bairn again's WH1000, the shop at Tyndrum (N end) was operating well before 6am (Sunday), as were the midges: 'Brodies Mini-market.

hm, officially 7, don't really want to be standing outside any longer than necessary!
will have a sniff nearer the time!

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #47 on: 21 February, 2020, 08:30:45 pm »

It's really for the people living between Ardgour and Ardnamurchan point to better connect them to Fort William, than about Fort Williamites going on a jolly.  The ferry is by considerably shorter for them and Highland council are trying to get shot of it from their budget sheet.

Makes sense, causeways and bridges in the Western Isles had positive impact on the community. Scalpay bridge and Berneray causeway opened while I lived there and I witnessed the benefits

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #48 on: 22 February, 2020, 12:07:38 pm »
Scalpay would have probably been abandoned if it wasn't for the bridge.
Population appears to be 300 now, IIRC when dad decided to mix work with a holiday we went there as part of the CofS' abandonment of the island, population was below 100 although they could all reverse pretty well.

« Reply #49 on: 22 February, 2020, 01:25:17 pm »
Midge avoidance would require an early season slot so maybe one best suited for 2023. 

That would miss the point of the name of the ride - ridden a few weeks within the solstice means it never gets properly dark. The magic of riding the early hours with just the deer on the road, no need for lights.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.