Author Topic: Hop Garden Audax 11. May  (Read 7686 times)

Hop Garden Audax 11. May
« on: 08 April, 2008, 09:31:00 pm »
Anyone considering this ride? I've done it abt. 11 years ago, still have good memories about it. For this year I've noted it as a possible event for me, still working out wether I can get to the start without too much troubles.

Martin

Re: Hop Garden Audax 11. May
« Reply #1 on: 08 April, 2008, 09:36:10 pm »
ooh forgot about that one; was wondering how I was going to survive between Saturday's 300 and the Irish Mail;

It's got some big hills at the beginning and end and the long long drag up Ashdown Forest but the middle bit's OK, standard El Supremo territory. Will probably be up for it. I see it's the same day as El Sup's 400 (which I did and passed several HG riders which caused a strange moment, it used the same cafe last year) but we won't see any of them this year as they will be sunning themselves in Wiltshire.

« Reply #2 on: 09 April, 2008, 09:06:06 am »
This ones a bit of a regular for me. It's a fairly fast route with a bit of variety (the first half is reasonably hilly, then the flat bit and a few hills to finish).
I'll probably give it a miss this year in favour of the following weeks Invicta 400.

Chris N

« Reply #3 on: 09 April, 2008, 09:28:00 am »
The 100 was my first ever Audax (my longest ever ride back then - just under 100 miles, including the ride to the start and back from Rochester) back in 2004 - seems an awful long time ago.  Lovely route, IIRC, with a great climb back up to the finish.

Martin

« Reply #4 on: 09 April, 2008, 05:48:17 pm »
I'll probably give it a miss this year in favour of the following weeks Invicta 400.

is that your first 400?

« Reply #5 on: 09 April, 2008, 07:12:33 pm »

is that your first 400?

Yes, it'll be my first attempt.

« Reply #6 on: 09 April, 2008, 07:32:49 pm »
A leisurely ridden 200 the weekend before a 400 is not a bad preparation.

« Reply #7 on: 09 April, 2008, 07:56:46 pm »
It's more to do with keeping a home/Audax balance if you see what I mean. 

Martin

« Reply #8 on: 09 April, 2008, 08:38:56 pm »

is that your first 400?

You'll be fine; you've done the Elenith?

The Invicta was my first 400 after only 2 200s

BTW it's August 2011  ;)

« Reply #9 on: 09 April, 2008, 10:00:08 pm »

is that your first 400?

You'll be fine; you've done the Elenith?

The Invicta was my first 400 after only 2 200s

BTW it's August 2011  ;)

Umm.... been thinking of something sooner actually...only thinking mind.

« Reply #10 on: 07 May, 2008, 08:12:12 pm »
Looks like a decent day on Sunday. Anybody else riding?
Starts from Meopham and heads down to the Ashdown Forest, Rolvenden and the (in)famous World of Water ,Appledore,Staplehurst and back to Meopham.   

« Reply #11 on: 07 May, 2008, 09:12:09 pm »
I'll be there. Assuming the brompton is ok after my tarmac hugging incident on the Dinton 100 today...

« Reply #12 on: 07 May, 2008, 09:30:51 pm »
I won't, to avoid timeproblems in the next season I'll recce the new route of my 400 this weekend.

« Reply #13 on: 07 May, 2008, 09:58:59 pm »

Things 1 & 2 will be cycling the 160km version on Sunday.

Emma
California Dreaming

Martin

« Reply #14 on: 07 May, 2008, 10:06:51 pm »
Starts from Meopham and heads down to the Ashdown Forest, Rolvenden and the (in)famous World of Water ,Appledore,Staplehurst and back to Meopham.   

which way does it go up the Forest; from Groombridge or Hartfield? (I'm probably doing the former on my local 100 but earlier than you will be there)

« Reply #15 on: 08 May, 2008, 08:03:55 am »

which way does it go up the Forest; from Groombridge or Hartfield? (I'm probably doing the former on my local 100 but earlier than you will be there)

Hartfield. The long gentle climb to Pillow Mound (?) carpark.

Martin

« Reply #16 on: 08 May, 2008, 09:00:46 am »

Hartfield. The long gentle climb to Pillow Mound (?) carpark.

Hartfield's not the gentlest climb; that's Friar's Gate which it did in 2005; Chuck Hatch is the 2nd hardest after The Wall

« Reply #17 on: 09 May, 2008, 10:14:50 am »
Just how hilly is this ride? All the talk on here seems to be about it being hard work!

Martin

« Reply #18 on: 09 May, 2008, 10:20:59 am »
Just how hilly is this ride? All the talk on here seems to be about it being hard work!

It's not that bad but there are quite a few hills around Westerham and Ashdown Forest (and my opinion of the big climb up the Forest is clouded by my club's hilly TT using it, it's not actually very steep); The only really steep ones I recall are the one just after Fairwarp (does it reverse the MSH after that PatC?) and back up to the finish; the middle bit is Romney Marsh / World of Water area which is rolling or flat. I can't speak for what it's like on fixed as have never ridden one.

I'll call in at Duddleswell control if I'm there at the same time as the main field.

« Reply #19 on: 09 May, 2008, 11:03:09 am »
Ah good. That's what I was assuming when I signed up. I know the area fairly well as it's near my parents' house. I just wanted to check it isn't doing any perverse Grimpeur style stuff. I'm guessing it must spend at least some time on the Vale near the hops, and Romney Marsh is easy as long as there isn't too much wind...

I'm not riding fixed, I'm riding a Brompton :-)

« Reply #20 on: 09 May, 2008, 11:53:50 am »

I would call it well-balanced. Undulating but nothing too serious to World Of Water then pretty much flat (apart from the longish drag into Tenterden) to Staplehurst. Then undulating to the finish with a bit of a beast of a climb (Holly Hill) near the finish.
It's a fairly fast route with decent surfaces but take on some food/water at Rolvenden as theres not much in the way of shops 'til Tenterden.

By the way the climb up to the Ashdown Forest is from Groombridge.   

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #21 on: 09 May, 2008, 11:57:09 am »
Do you know if they'll accept on the line entries?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Martin

« Reply #22 on: 09 May, 2008, 12:06:17 pm »
By the way the climb up to the Ashdown Forest is from Groombridge.   

I thought so; Tome changed it a few years ago; it's a lovely climb but the last bit once you out into the open heathland goes on for ever. That's on my training ride.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #23 on: 10 May, 2008, 08:17:10 pm »
Do you know if they'll accept on the line entries?

Charlotte and I are hoping so.  :)

Martin

« Reply #24 on: 11 May, 2008, 03:19:46 pm »
Our club run happened to get amongst some of the early arrivals at the top of Ashdown Forest; not only that but we all got snapped for Arrivee by Tim as well; so tried to make the best of our undeserved fame by continuing around my 100km hilly Reliabilty Trial course. Met the Hailsham 400 returnees near Fletching (including Cyclisten) too. Everyone and his dog out on a bike today; best day of the year for riding so far  8)