Author Topic: 2019 North Yorkshire Brevet Unpopulaires - now with actual Populaire!  (Read 7753 times)

Once again, I'd like to invite you all to either of my brevets unpopulaire - or, of course, the actual populaire. They're all on Saturday 27th April 2019, from Newby Wiske, North Yorkshire. It's easily reached from the A1 or A19 - it's between Thirsk and Northallerton, both of which are well-served by trains. Look for Grand Central trains for very bike-friendly services from London, York and Sunderland.

Overground Underground is a gentle 50 km around some of the pleasant lanes of North Yorkshire, including a trip to the local arboretum. It also has a couple of surprises in it. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28437678

Don't Keep to the Road is 100-anna-bit kms, with the usual mix of bastard hills, offroad climbs and descents, abandoned railways, hidden valleys, forestry trails and pubs. Well, last time I checked, the pub in Hawnby was still shut, but there's still the Lion on Blakey Ridge for the halfway control, and the Dog and Gun in Knayton is a good calling point before the final 10 miles or so. Route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25648476

Moor Gravel Forever is the same loop, but with an extra loop farther into the Moors making it up to 100 miles. More gravel. More hills. Less hike-a-bike than last year - there's a slight route change, which avoids the lovely cafe in Lealholm, but more importantly avoids the gratuitous hack through the bracken above Fryupdale. Many thanks to all riders for not complaining about this - I loved it, but I've found a proper alternative. I'll get around to updating the routesheet and gpx once I've found a decent control in Glaisdale (the butcher's does good pies, but shuts early on Saturdays). There are a couple of other changes - no more Foxton Lane, though that remains in DKttR. Route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28355218

All three events have very generous minimum speeds, and Monket House Bank remains in both of the offroad rides, you'll not be pleased to hear. Despite some lobbying from a couple of riders, I'll not be renaming either ride Welcome to the Monket House - I don't think the world has enough Dandy Warhols/Kurt Vonnegut fans for it to work, sadly.

There's free camping* and food at the start and finish, and an all-night after-ride party. I think we eventually went to bed at 4 am last year - with the 300 on the same day, riders on the 150 will be finishing around the same time as riders on the 300, and you'll probably still be greeted with cowbells. There doesn't seem to be any way for me to stop that, but it'll be a great atmosphere - it was again last year.

* It really is free, but I'll almost certainly wave a charity tin in the direction of anyone camping, cos the start/finish is my mate's farm, and all proceeds from the ride will go to the Alzheimer's Society. No obligation though.

More photos on Flickr (for now), and more in last year's thread

(click to show/hide)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: 2019 North Yorkshire Brevet Unpopulaires - now with actual Populaire!
« Reply #1 on: 13 November, 2018, 10:53:07 pm »
 :thumbsup:  I think this means I need to not spend the winter losing all my cycling fitness through a series of chest infections...

« Reply #2 on: 14 November, 2018, 12:04:01 pm »
Great stuff, looking forward to it already. Easily one of the best days out on a bike that I had last year.

« Reply #3 on: 14 November, 2018, 08:11:25 pm »
Moor Gravel Forever is one of the toughest days out on a bike I've had at any distance. In a good way.

Hoping I can do a 300 qualifier somewhere else to leave me free to ride it again this year.

« Reply #4 on: 14 November, 2018, 08:18:30 pm »
Lovely timing. Now which route - off road or the 300?

And could I persuade Mrs S to do the 50, or even DKTTR?

Looking forward already

Mike

« Reply #5 on: 14 November, 2018, 08:39:27 pm »
Moor Gravel Forever is one of the toughest days out on a bike I've had at any distance. In a good way.

It looks even tougher next year, if you can believe the climbing figure the AAA man has given it! 

(I can't - I think it'll be easier, and i'll send him the route smetime)

« Reply #6 on: 14 November, 2018, 10:42:59 pm »
:thumbsup:  I think this means I need to not spend the winter losing all my cycling fitness through a series of chest infections...

But which ride do you fancy, Kim?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 14 November, 2018, 11:28:04 pm »

All of them.  (DKTTR seems like a good start.)

« Reply #8 on: 15 November, 2018, 08:06:10 am »
DKTTR was one of my favourite days out on the bike ever. I can heartily recommend Clement Xplor MSOs as a great mix of cushioning, lateral grip and easy rolling on the road, so long as you don't mind walking up that steep bank!

https://road.cc/content/review/225474-clement-xplor-mso-tyres

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #9 on: 15 November, 2018, 08:17:26 am »

I need to find out whether or not my marathon running pal has a place in some event rushing round London, and work out the logistics of how to get her teenager to/round the 50 either way. 

And nag someone else....

« Reply #10 on: 19 November, 2018, 10:04:24 pm »

Hoping I can do a 300 qualifier somewhere else to leave me free to ride it again this year.

Aye, 300s are tricky round here. I was sure Andy B was putting one on, but I cannae see it now. There's no Mosstrooper either - in 2015 I went and rode the Plains 300 as that works really well with public transport, and with oatcakes at Radway Green.

« Reply #11 on: 19 November, 2018, 10:05:29 pm »

It is a perfect loop (IMO). I'll make sure to lay in spare cards for anyone who wants to swap on the day, too. There are always a couple.

« Reply #12 on: 19 November, 2018, 10:05:59 pm »

I need to find out whether or not my marathon running pal has a place in some event rushing round London, and work out the logistics of how to get her teenager to/round the 50 either way. 

And nag someone else....

And maybe ride your bike a bit? :)

« Reply #13 on: 03 March, 2019, 05:35:31 pm »
Overground Underground - a few of us went and rode the route yesterday. Luckily, we bumped into the landowner and got his permission to use the lovely former railway bridge over the Swale. I wouldn't be surprised if he chucks his sheep into the field next to it in time for the ride, though ;D

And we went and checked out the cafe at Thorp Perrow Arboretum - you'll all be fine to use the cafe without paying the entrance fee for the arboretum. Just be sure not to look at any trees ;)

It's a gentle route along quiet lanes with an enjoyable comedy off-road section. And a pub a mile-and-a-half from the finish which is open all day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2186458511

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-450/

Chris S

« Reply #14 on: 03 March, 2019, 07:08:29 pm »
I'm not seeing any of your images recently, Deano - here or other posts where you've included piccies.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 03 March, 2019, 07:17:53 pm »
Working for me.  Google gremlins?

Chris S

« Reply #16 on: 03 March, 2019, 07:24:30 pm »

Hmm... I need an IT expert.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 03 March, 2019, 07:26:16 pm »

Hmm... I need an IT expert.

Um....err......oh bugger!

(Just tried it in an incognito window, and it didn't load.  Is it only serving up images to people who are logged into google?)

« Reply #18 on: 03 March, 2019, 10:55:48 pm »
(Just tried it in an incognito window, and it didn't load.  Is it only serving up images to people who are logged into google?)

Looks like it. It's convoluted enough as it is - anyone know a way around that?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #19 on: 03 March, 2019, 11:11:02 pm »
Link from the strava images? I think that, or public Facebook pictures works whether you are logged in or not.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #20 on: 03 March, 2019, 11:34:43 pm »
Indeed.  The (Google) hosted URL's self-immolate after an indeterminate period, leaving you with the standard "no entry" symbol,  which really means move along, definitely nothing to see here...use a different hard reference (which for most seems to be some other 24/7 public host)

[Edit: mmm, https://ctrlq.org/google/photos/ appears to offer a route to permenance, at the cost of some faffage... ]
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #21 on: 22 April, 2019, 11:36:14 pm »
I have a few spare cards left for MGF and DKttR, and plenty for O/U, if anyone is dithering. All lovely rides, and I can promise cake (due to be tested on my workmates tomorrow).

« Reply #22 on: 23 April, 2019, 08:26:42 am »
I rode the 50km route in February. 
It really is very gentle and not at all hilly. 
If you are not sure if audax is for you, or if you are introducing a newcomer, this is perfect.
The route is  easy to follow. (I'm a technophobe, so I just drew it onto the OS map, but you do need an up-to date version)
Only a short section of easy and interesting non-tarmac road.
Generous time allowance, pretty villages, quiet roads, tea room and pubs, arboretum, castles, medieval churches.
And cake!

« Reply #23 on: 29 April, 2019, 11:06:11 am »
Great day out, though rather wet & filthy.  Definitely reckon the route was better than last year - the bit from Glaisdale back to the Lion was great, and the final section along the edge should have been good if it hadn't been like cycling along a stream in the pissing rain when I was there.  I'll put that last one down to a failure to appreciate on my end.

Note to self: if brake pads are worn beforehand, don't be a tight git.  Replace them beforehand.

Just need to order a new chain & cassette now.

And I couldn't resist the urge to ride right up to Danby Beacon:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 29 April, 2019, 01:33:53 pm »
A fun day out on the 50 accompanying SmallestCub and CrinklyUncle on the tandem.  In light of trains, I made it a little bit more audacious by bringing the right bike for south London, which spiced up the comedy off-road sections somewhat.  The lovely smooth road alongside the A1 after Kirkby Fleetham was a revelation: For an all too short short while, the Brommie rolled like a proper bicycle.

SmallestCub remained in good spirits, in spite of saddle-sores (I suspect he may be outgrowing that saddle) and a substantial amount of Weather.  CrinklyUncle remained in good spirits as long as his coffee level was kept topped up...

AUK's youngest controller seemed pretty enthusiastic, too.   :thumbsup:

While there weren't any hills to speak of, it was a lot more rolling than I'd expected, although somewhat short of the ISO standard 1%.