Author Topic: Best Online Route Planner  (Read 1554 times)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Best Online Route Planner
« on: 31 August, 2014, 09:56:16 pm »
What is the best way to plot a route and share online?

Bikely?

Viewranger?

Google Maps?

I want a way to plot a route, ideally show climbing, ideally be able to download gpx/gdb of route.

My experience is of Bikely but I want to recommend one for club use.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Best Online Route Planner
« Reply #1 on: 31 August, 2014, 11:24:03 pm »
A Planner review thread (but Auk members only)

I would go the Googlemaps/Cuesheet route** - gives GPX, TCX, graphical elevation profile, 'tiny' URL for sharing, routesheet instructions, all in one.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #2 on: 31 August, 2014, 11:31:45 pm »
I've found bikehike to be very good.

You can't save routes online, by you can save them to your hard drive and email them.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 31 August, 2014, 11:36:42 pm »
For sharing routes, I like Gpsies. Has a useful selection of background maps, and options to download in a variety of formats.

« Reply #4 on: 04 September, 2014, 06:53:04 am »
I've found bikehike to be very good.

You can't save routes online, by you can save them to your hard drive and email them.

Yup. BikeHike.

But some words of warning.
BikeHike will allow you to limit the number of Waypoints on the route. 249 if your GPS has a 250 per route limit.
When you do this, BikeHike chooses the locations and draws a straight line between each point. This results in the distance and climbing being incorrect. Shorter distance and the summits of short hills being missed.
To plan AUK rides, allow BikeHike to use maximum points so the route is as detailed as it can be, so the distance and climbing are closer to reality.

On BikeHike, I create a GPX route with max points, then import it into MS Autoroute or Tyre toTravel to trim for my SatNav.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: 04 September, 2014, 11:16:43 am »
I use gpxeditor.co.uk and bikehike to draw the route out and then share it with bikeroutetoaster

If you don't know which roads to use then I'd use google maps walking mode.  Although this did catch me out recently with a short cut that was nearly unrideable even on my gravel tracks bike

For route "finding" viamichelin is worth a look, the bike mode is excellent.  But it doesn't export to gpx (or any kind of file like that) and istr it is limited to 200km per route