Author Topic: Edge Touring drop offs?  (Read 1342 times)

Edge Touring drop offs?
« on: 12 November, 2014, 05:22:54 pm »
Is it just my Edge Touring that has these drop offs every five minutes?  ???

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Edge Touring drop offs?
« Reply #1 on: 12 November, 2014, 10:27:22 pm »
What is that a graph of, and where is it from? Do you get similar results if you load the track in other websites/software?

« Reply #2 on: 13 November, 2014, 07:41:12 am »
What is that a graph of, and where is it from? Do you get similar results if you load the track in other websites/software?
Green is speed, brown is elevation, and the red line at the bottom is for a non existent power meter. It's from an Edge Touring into GoldenCheetah. I shall boot Windows to see if Garmin Training Centre shows the same.

ETA: just made a Garmin Connect a/c and it doesn't show seem to show the drop offs in that?  ???
Doesn't matter it'll only make average speed slower, if it does anything at all.

extra ETA: Garmin Training Centre doesn't show the drops either so I guess it's a GoldenCheetah+Edge Tour thing.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #3 on: 13 November, 2014, 01:16:03 pm »
The Edge Touring may well be different, but various Garmins I've owned do not record speed - they only record time, position and elevation.  Even if speed is recorded into the tracklog, it's only going to be as a result of some on-board derivation from time and position, unless you have a wheel sensor.  And analytical software might ignore it and go back to time/position anyway.
So any graph of speed is going to rely on the software producing it.  The dropouts do look uncannily regular - more regular than any naturally-occuring reception problem is likely to be.
However the long dropout at 50 minutes is surely a genuine stop - the elevation is flat as well.  Admit it - you stopped and had a piss faffed in your luggage for 2 minutes.
The long-ish dropout at 109 minutes is more interesting, because the elevation seems to be rising while the speed is zero.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #4 on: 13 November, 2014, 02:11:24 pm »
The dropouts do look uncannily regular - more regular than any naturally-occuring reception problem is likely to be.
However the long dropout at 50 minutes is surely a genuine stop - the elevation is flat as well.  Admit it - you stopped and had a piss faffed in your luggage for 2 minutes.
The long-ish dropout at 109 minutes is more interesting, because the elevation seems to be rising while the speed is zero.
It was pissing down at 50 mins so I had to rummage for my jacket, removing gilet and stow that because wearing both would be a fashion faux pas!
109 is a traffic light at the top of Hamlet Court Road, crossing London Road.
Anyway it does seem to be limited to the way GoldenCheetah handles the data as the drops don't appear in Garmin Training Centre or Connect website.

« Reply #5 on: 14 November, 2014, 07:16:46 am »
I can’t remember.
Is the TCX file converted into MSL or SML for importing into MS Excel?

When the TCX is converted and imported into Excel, you can use the Time and delta Distance to calculate speed between points.

You can draw fancy graphs in Excel.

You can do some more math to calculate slope.

Then you can plot speed vs slope to see how powerful you are, in kJ/s.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 14 November, 2014, 11:31:15 am »
Maybe there is something weird about the FIT files produced by the Edge Touring.
You could try exporting a TCX or GPX file from Training Center / Garmin Connect, then open that in Golden Cheetah. Or use GPSBabel to convert the FIT to GPX. That may give a better result.

Could be worth reporting it as a bug with Golden Cheetah anyway. It does seem to be actively developed, with pretty regular new releases.