Author Topic: Tent pics...  (Read 215224 times)

Tent pics...
« on: 23 August, 2010, 12:33:42 pm »
Post your pics...  :)

May be a useful* thread...  I'll post something later...

Andy

* hopefully...

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Tent pics...
« Reply #1 on: 23 August, 2010, 09:41:23 pm »
Our tunnel tent barn... ('8' berth Kyham Indiana 06-ish)

In use... with electric for first time.

Sort of ready to pack... we take too much really.  Packing is a tad stressful, and the minis often kick off the car journey with a space war amid sleeping bags, pillows etc...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 23 August, 2010, 09:45:28 pm »
You could have tidied up!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 23 August, 2010, 09:46:11 pm »
Chuffin' eck... that's not a tent - it's an aircraft hanger  :o

« Reply #4 on: 23 August, 2010, 09:50:32 pm »
Holy cow! That's bigger than some flats I've lived in. :o

« Reply #5 on: 23 August, 2010, 10:35:52 pm »
You have used small models in the photos to make the tent look bigger though haven't you?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: 23 August, 2010, 10:39:44 pm »
We arrived on a camp site as a young couple were putting up a tent like that. I politely asked them if they would be holding a barn dance later in the evening but they didn't seem to understand.

« Reply #7 on: 24 August, 2010, 12:18:46 am »
 :)  It's big, but the space works well for a week. This last time it was chucking with rain when we were packing up, and for a second (Ok 1/10th of a sec) almost thought of backing the car inside the tent through the large end flap...  ;)

But a simple design, and packs up small (probably 70x40x30) - weighs 20ish kg.  

« Reply #8 on: 24 August, 2010, 12:25:22 am »
To be fair, the Pikes did take something not a lot smaller than that on the Dun Run!  There were mutterings something along the lines of "never again" however. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

rogerzilla

« Reply #9 on: 24 August, 2010, 06:41:33 am »
Some campsites charge more if the tent is larger than 5m square (by which I assume they mean 5m x 5m, not 5m2, which is tiny).

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #10 on: 24 August, 2010, 10:13:35 am »
Not very well pitched here but this is my cycle camping one

I also have a 12 birth dome tent but the only pic I can find is this one

I'm sat in one of the 4 birth pods (approx 7'x7'), it's bloody huge and great fun to put up on your own!

« Reply #11 on: 24 August, 2010, 11:53:09 am »
This is my cycle camping Terra Nova Laser Photon on the Freeze Your Bits of Ride and Camp, earlier this year, which give a comparison to size compared to a bike.

This is a shot of the entire group on Dunwich Beach, after the DunRun.

I'm not sure about which tents belong to whom, and what they are.

The orange tent on the left is Kim's, the green one immediatley to the right of it is one of the Terra Nova Laser's, the green one to the right of that, towards the back of the group is the Pike's Hoooge one, and the one further forward in that shot is andygate's Terre Nova something.

The right hand group of tents, after those cooking, first has my Terra Nova Laser Photon again, the next dark green one (left to right) is Charlotte's Terra Nova Laser, but aside from that I'm not sure which is which.
Actually, it is rocket science.

LEE

« Reply #12 on: 24 August, 2010, 02:36:10 pm »
My Family Tent

It's quite a trailer but we've done it all.  Started 20 years ago with a Canvas & Steel Poles family tent.

We liked camping in France so much that we invested in a cheap Trailer tent which did us proud for many years but still needed pegging out when it all folded out of the trailer.  This made it a bit of a pain to use for over-nighting and in wet weather.  The cabin was also just bedrooms so it was fairly unuseable without the awning erected.

4 years ago we bought this folding camper.  The main trailer part takes about 15 minutes to set up and needs no pegging.  It has 2 decent mattress beds, a theford flushing loo and washbasin , a 3 hob cooker, grill and oven, built-in fridge (and we take our old 3-way chest fridge as well), cupboards and shelves & sink.  If you hook it up to the mains then it has hot/cold running water (seriously).

If we're staying for more than a couple of days then we'll put the awning up.  That's a faff, just like a regular frame tent.  It takes about 30 minutes.  In England we zip the zides in but abroad we use it as a sun canopy.

The awning is about 6mx3m.  Simply zip out the side window of the base unit and you have a superb living area on hols.

I know, I know "it isn't proper camping".   That's what we used to say as well, but it's bloody great to turn up on camp and be set up, drinking some local plonk 30 minutes later.

Here it is in short-stay mode

In Sun-Canopy mode

and in "I never ever want to go home" mode

Everything you need for your hols fits in the trailer so, in theory, it's ready to go at the drop of a hat.

At the other extreme is my Coleman "Viper" 2kg but no luxuries. I'l lbe getting a Vango Spirit 200+ at some stage.

« Reply #13 on: 24 August, 2010, 02:53:35 pm »
Not very well pitched here but this is my cycle camping one

I also have a 12 birth dome tent but the only pic I can find is this one

I'm sat in one of the 4 birth pods (approx 7'x7'), it's bloody huge and great fun to put up on your own!

Good grief that's a lot bigger on the inside than it looks....oh, reads description properly...

rogerzilla

« Reply #14 on: 24 August, 2010, 05:56:20 pm »
Birth pods?  Sounds like some Native American neonatal custom.

We have decided that electric hookups are Wrong.

Big lamps lead to 'fridges.  'Fridges lead to TVs.  TVs lead to PlayStations.  PlayStations lead to the Dark Side (i.e. you might as well stay at home).

LEE

« Reply #15 on: 24 August, 2010, 06:40:11 pm »
Birth pods?  Sounds like some Native American neonatal custom.

We have decided that electric hookups are Wrong.

Big lamps lead to 'fridges.  'Fridges lead to TVs.  TVs lead to PlayStations.  PlayStations lead to the Dark Side (i.e. you might as well stay at home).

Electric hookups aren't so necessary in the UK because food and drink just needs to be left outside in order to remain in a chilled/frozen state.  However, it's 17C at night and 32C during the day in Southern France. 

Not an issue if you like drinking your margarine straight from the tub or hot beer of course.

Having said that, both fridges run on Gas if required (and have done for weeks at a time in the past) so a leccy hook-up isn't vital.  We've never even used the water heater apart from testing it when we bought it.

It depends why you camp really.  We camp so we can see a few nice French towns, eat in a few nice restaurants then come back to a base where we can read a few books whilst drinking chilled Rose in the afternoon sun.

That's the same reason we've always done it.  The quality of the tent/accessories hasn't changed that really (well, it has done, for several positive reasons, actually).

The only downside is towing a 1 ton trailer unit, but it's much easier than a caravan with same proportions inside (when unfolded) and, because it sits lower than roofline of the car, I get 40mpg towing it.

Like I say, we've done it for about 20 years and done virtually all the camping options.  I've slept on the ground enough times, drunk gone-off milk enough times, gone for enough night-time wees in the rain, this is my bit of luxury until I buy a big camper van and head off into Southern Europe for the Winter.

The YACF Camping weekend in my 1-man tent is a useful reminder of days gone by.

« Reply #16 on: 24 August, 2010, 10:00:58 pm »
It is possible to stop at chilly box, apparently.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #17 on: 24 August, 2010, 10:11:03 pm »
This summer was our first trial of EHU - we used electric for:

Keeping the electric cooler box going (this worked well/probably the most useful), but also...
Boiling the kettle (convenience)
Inflating the air beds
Charging the large fluorescent lamp
Charging DS consoles (for minis, though they didn't use them much)
Watching a couple of DVDs on the portable DVD player...

Could have done without all of these really - the campsite had a freezer block service.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #18 on: 25 August, 2010, 12:40:40 am »
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

rogerzilla

« Reply #19 on: 25 August, 2010, 06:32:49 am »
Pitches in one, strong composite pole.  Vulerable to collapse in some conditions though.

http://glaswegian.info/images/Mingers-ugly-girls.jpg

« Reply #20 on: 25 August, 2010, 09:11:38 am »
Does it cope with cold weather?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #21 on: 25 August, 2010, 03:25:27 pm »
Depends how occupied. 1 second pitch too and will sleep upto 3.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22 on: 26 August, 2010, 05:09:10 pm »
A different sort of tent in a different sort of state...

Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #23 on: 27 August, 2010, 12:01:03 am »
Not mine.  Not yet, anyway:  Hello Kitty Tent - Hello Kitty Hell
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #24 on: 27 August, 2010, 01:11:24 am »
Civilised camping last year with the other half.

It's a Eurohike tent that I got for the eclipse 11 years ago. Since then it's been used for about a week every other year. It's been reproofed once, but now the integral ground sheet is disintegrating at the edges. Not bad for £30....

Very pleased to see we're not the only ones who seem to accumulate a large number plastic bags when out camping, I was worried it was just us.

Same tent in less civilised mode when a few mates and me finally decided to try live like Ray Mears for a week back in 2002.