Author Topic: The Box Of Delights  (Read 1044 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
The Box Of Delights
« on: 24 December, 2009, 06:37:06 pm »
Just watched the last Christmas Eve episode.  It's very good, with the Boy under the waterfall, the bronze talking head, the demons and the pentagrams...they'd never get away with it these days  ;D

There's supposed to be a feature film of it next year, but I bet they'll bowdlerise it and take out all the pistols  >:(
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
Re: The Box Of Delights
« Reply #1 on: 24 December, 2009, 08:32:44 pm »
My husband bought this 2 years ago as we both enjoyed it as children - we love it even more now :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 24 December, 2009, 10:23:16 pm »
Someone gave it to my sister when we were kids, but it was 'lost' as unsuitable, so I didn't get to read it. ::-)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 24 December, 2009, 10:25:33 pm »
I didn't know there was a TV version, but we used to listen to it regularly when it was on the radio (every Christmas, it seemed, though I can't recall the story)
Getting there...

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #4 on: 25 December, 2009, 12:41:00 am »
I didn't know there was a TV version, but we used to listen to it regularly when it was on the radio (every Christmas, it seemed, though I can't recall the story)

Do you chaps want to borrow it?  :)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 25 December, 2009, 08:11:49 am »
The book is better (as usual), mainly for Abner's funny monologues, which don't really work on the screen.  The TV series is a fairly accurate adaptation apart from that, and missing out a few irrelevant scenes.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.