Author Topic: Cod liver oil tablets  (Read 4742 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Cod liver oil tablets
« on: 20 April, 2009, 09:23:11 pm »
I thought I'd better start getting some omega-3 as I enter my fifth decade (although my previous cholesterol tests have been "desirable" to "normal" despite the crap I eat), and not being a fish-eater, I started taking one of these a day.

The bottle doesn't warn you about the fishy burps, does it?  :sick:
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Re: Cod liver oil tablets
« Reply #1 on: 20 April, 2009, 09:31:01 pm »
no.  I stopped taking them cos of that.  Then I took glucosamine for a bit but I got bored.  Never really noticed the difference, to be honest

(but I am a few <cough> years younger than you)

« Reply #2 on: 20 April, 2009, 09:40:16 pm »
At least 20 years of fishy burps  :sick:  here.

But nothing creaks.  :)

« Reply #3 on: 20 April, 2009, 09:48:52 pm »
The ones I was given as a kid used to repeat, I had some a few years back that didn't.

Edit: I've just checked and they're Tesco's own brand ones, I've still got a few left.

alan

« Reply #4 on: 20 April, 2009, 10:11:41 pm »
I used glucosamine for a few years & then stopped using it without any apparent benfit or loss of same & started taking cod liver oil capusules.There followed a rapid improvement to the arthritus-type pain in my right elbow which has now virtually disappeared(the pain,not the elbow) but the joint is still very weak with little strength for lifting.
I actually like the taste of cod liver oil & chew the capsules to release the oil therein.I am told this is not normal.

simonp

« Reply #5 on: 20 April, 2009, 10:20:03 pm »
Haven't noticed any fishyness here, with Boots 1000mg ones.

BTW, it's not just about getting omega 3, you need the correct ratio of omega 6 to omega 3.  About 1:1 to 4:1.  Most people have a ratio of 10-20:1 and that means the omega 3 isn't used properly.

Omega-3 fatty acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6 on: 20 April, 2009, 11:06:14 pm »
Cardioace - balanced nutrition for heart and circulation

I take these, they contain something that should take care of the garlic and omega-3 and works great if you don't mind the slight taste of orange if you burp :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

simonp

« Reply #7 on: 20 April, 2009, 11:50:11 pm »
Be careful about taking lots of omega-3 if you are taking blood thinning drugs.

Also note if you are thinking of getting your omega-3 from eating oily fish: if it's farmed fish, don't bother.

A number of respected sources, including U.S. nutritionist Andrew Weil and The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, state that farmed salmon have two to three times fewer omega-3's than their wild counterparts. Meanwhile, the fat content of farmed fish ranges between 11% and 20% vs. 7% for wild.

« Reply #8 on: 21 April, 2009, 05:39:52 am »
I found that if I had my Cod Liver tablet at the wrong time it would cause me to burp more than if I had it slightly after my food intake ( an hour later ). 

I previously had a garlic tablet too and the burps from those far outweighed anything from the Omega 3 tablet  ;D

« Reply #9 on: 21 April, 2009, 07:45:04 am »
Being really old (8th decade ? (70 years) i need all the chemical support i can get.
Omega 3 seems a complicated issue for us vegemarians. So i take Flaxseed Oil capsules which my body is supposed to process into the wonder Omega 3 in 1
No fishy taste of course.

Cod liver or halibut oil was thought to be important even during my war time childhood.It was delivered straight from the bottle onto your tongue by mother.Capsules? ::-)

n
Mal-odorous,liver-spotted, coffin-dodger.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #10 on: 21 April, 2009, 08:20:33 am »
Try the Healthspan brand pills (I get on OK with them but ymmv) or, as Grub says, take them just after you've had a meal.

I also remember, with some displeasure, being given cod liver oil (and malt extract) as a kid and I'm nowhere near as oldvenerable as moondog.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #11 on: 21 April, 2009, 08:45:47 am »
Malt extract is delicious and quite another thing.

Goes off to find a long spoon.
It is simpler than it looks.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #12 on: 21 April, 2009, 08:58:53 am »
Malt extract is delicious and quite another thing.

You are Tigger AICMFP.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #13 on: 21 April, 2009, 08:59:38 am »

Malt tincture is delicious and quite another thing.
Goes off to find a short glass.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #14 on: 21 April, 2009, 09:41:13 am »
Based on my reasearches, higher quality cod-liver oil has less fishy flavour, but it is considerably more expensive. (Given that I don't buy it for myself, but for an arthritic ferret, I get the cheapest most pungently fishy stuff I can, and it's terribly popular. I'm not sure about the burps though - ferts do that regarless of recent oil ingestion. )
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/