Author Topic: Core strength  (Read 19487 times)

Re: Core strength
« Reply #50 on: 18 December, 2008, 08:56:09 pm »
I do a lot of core work which I think is great for posture. After a few pilates sessions you soon notice when you are slouching at work or in front of the telly, etc. I also think that it can be good for cycling but depends a lot on your pedalling style. If you just push, stamp or press on the pedals then the benefits are limited. If, on the other hand, you  pedal your pedals and turn the cranks in circles then a stronger core is most beneficial. You will be using your legs to turn the cranks for a complete revolution so a strong core will help to anchor and stabilise the legs.

« Reply #51 on: 18 December, 2008, 09:05:03 pm »
Bad back stuff on long rides sounds like a training/preparation deficiency, at least in terms of cycling.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

inc

« Reply #52 on: 18 December, 2008, 09:35:44 pm »
There is no simple answer, everyone is different and so is their base core fitness. Niggles on a bike almost always are caused by poor position, overtraining  or lack of training, yes gym work may help eliminate the symptoms but are not treating the cause.

annie

« Reply #53 on: 19 December, 2008, 06:49:15 am »
Hi Liz, only just seen this thread, well done for being so motivated and for wanting to  improve your overall fitness.

I must give a big  :thumbsup: to incorporating core strength work into a training programme, not as a standalone though but as part of an overall programme.  I will happily send you some books I have that show lots of exercises that you can pick and choose from.  When I come to visit I will gladly run through some of the ones I use.

Core strength training certainly has helped me in both my running and cycling.  Yoga and regular visits to the gym ensure this continues.  I use a swiss ball at home and it  is now a part of the furniture.

Do not underestimate the importance of core strength, I am sure that you don't.  I am not sure it will make you faster but it will enable you to divert your energy elsewhere.  The muscles used in core strength training are often overlooked but do make a huge difference in everything you do, from walking and running to cycling and swimming.

It's early, the above might not make any sense at all :-[

Remember that good technique is more important than duration when performing exercises for the core, you can build on the duration but ensure that good technique is used from the off.

Good luck :-* :-*

Jakob

« Reply #54 on: 23 December, 2008, 01:45:54 am »
I joined the gym 2 years ago, hooked up with a trainer with the specific purpose of improving my core strength. Partly to improve my chronic back problems (frequent muscle spasms), but also to help my kendo.
 What I quickly learned the first lesson, is that due to cycling and kendo, I was very good at linear exercises, but the moment it when the slightest lateral, I was weak as a little girl.
 Focusing on core exercises not only increased my overall ability with regards to kendo and cycling, but much more importantly, greatly improved the recovery time.
 From being stiff and sore after each semi-hard kendo session, I was now jumping out of bed in the morning, ready to go again. A lot of it has to do with a stable core lets you do more for less, but also overall improvement of fitness helped a lot.
 Pilates or work with trainer in the gym who knows what he's doing.  You wont regret it. (Ok, so you will regret it for the first few weeks, but the pain will go away...)

« Reply #55 on: 23 December, 2008, 09:23:19 am »
Excellent testimony Jakob.  As said before, you could be trained to the highest standard in one sport and still be pathetically weak in the majority of your muscle groups.  This can lead to imbalance and potentially serious physical problems.

To exercise in one discipline to the exclusion of general physical toning is not healthy IMO.

BTW, I don't think there is any way that I could have progressed from 30 to 100 push ups in 5 weeks using the Challenge without having a reasonably developed core strength.  It helps with every aspect of training, as well as just making you feel better, having better posture, etc.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #56 on: 23 December, 2008, 05:52:36 pm »
Bad back stuff on long rides sounds like a training/preparation deficiency, at least in terms of cycling.

Yep, it's a deficiency in core strength  ;D

"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

« Reply #57 on: 23 December, 2008, 06:48:56 pm »

LOL, but wrong.

Jakob

« Reply #58 on: 23 December, 2008, 07:02:33 pm »
The thing is that you are not using the core muscles that supports your back when you're cycling, so if your back aches when cycling, more cycling is not the answer.The back muscles will try to take up the slack and get more sore, whilst the core muscles becomes weaker.
Core training is not about becoming buff and building a 6 pack. It's about having a solid foundation, that will give you a base to train from and greatly help your recovery time. Yes, the first 2-4 weeks, it will have an impact on the amount of energy you got available for your regular training and if you ramp up the exercises as your core gets strong, you can still feel it, but the overall benefits far outweigh it.
 The main problem I have with it, is that it's boring. It's gym work (never with heavy weights, but loads of lateral movements, with relatively light weights, variety of sit-ups, planks, etc) and that I've always found boring. (Which is why I only do it in the winter).
 However, doing that for 2-3 months will benefit me for the rest of the year...

« Reply #59 on: 23 December, 2008, 07:19:51 pm »
Do I need to improve my core strength to get faster

I totally agree with all the pro-core-strength comments in this thread by Jakob, Toontra et al. No, it won't get you faster, Liz, but it will reduce your risk of injury, improve your recovery, and without a doubt it will help to avoid back problems during long rides.

The degree of benefit to be obtained from improving core strength depends on where you are starting from. BentMikey, I suspect that due to your skating and so on your core strength may be excellent compared to someone who is primarily a (non-recumbent) cyclist.

In my own case, having had lumbar problems and surgery some years ago, I am certain that it has helped me immensely and I wish I had been more aware of core strength and how to improve it in the past. Everything we do depends on the core.

Recumbent riding excepted  ;)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #60 on: 23 December, 2008, 07:27:04 pm »
Don't worry about strength if it's speed you're after.   

Join a club, go on club runs and survive.  After a week or two start joining the sprints for signposts and the mad dash at the finish.  Then go on weekday evening training rides.

If you can keep up with the chain gang as the season gets underway you're in business. 

It'll hurt, mind.

The Volio is spot on.

This approach increased my riding speed considerably and made a big difference on PBP as despite the faffing, I was fast enough to build a sleep budget up.

In practice, it meant not just going out trying to keep up with Paul Whitehead and Dave Young on the weekend and mid-week traning rides but being determined to be faster than them - despite me being the weight of two Tuggos on the trike.

Think 'red mist' and valve bounce but the saying goes 'what does not kill me makes me stronger' comes to mind.

You'll bloody do it.  :thumbsup:

H

Chris S

« Reply #61 on: 23 December, 2008, 07:29:15 pm »
Although, be careful - I have discovered a Side Effect.

I have been having some pain in my Hip Flexors on recent Audax rides. It comes on at about 75km, and wears off again after about 150km.

This has only started happening since I did about four months of concerted effort on my Core - including the 100 Push Up Challenge.

What I think has happened is this. My core (which as a 30-year desk jockey, has become weak and flabby) has become much stronger, which in turn has said "I am now a stable platform from which you can do great things" to the other muscles, and they are complaining - claiming they are not ready.

So - Core Strength is Good - but it might temporarily cause stress elsewhere.

« Reply #62 on: 23 December, 2008, 07:56:10 pm »
Everything that we do that depends on the core also works the core, specifically for that sort of exercise.  That's why if you cycle lots, your core will get stronger for the purpose of cycling.

« Reply #63 on: 23 December, 2008, 08:01:33 pm »
Even if you "cycle lots", that will not improve your core strength as much as specific training for that purpose - and for some people that is of benefit.

« Reply #64 on: 23 December, 2008, 08:03:58 pm »
Even if you "cycle lots", that will not improve your core strength as much as specific training for that purpose - and for some people that is of benefit.

The problem with that is that what you call specific training isn't specific to cycling.  It's generalist training, and it's therefore largely ineffective.  Cycling itself is specific core training, specific to cycling.

You're right that my core might be quite reasonable for skating, and it's another case where lots of skating will train it up quite effectively.  You don't need to do any more than that.

« Reply #65 on: 23 December, 2008, 08:06:08 pm »
I can only go on my own experiences.

« Reply #66 on: 23 December, 2008, 08:16:03 pm »

LOL, but wrong.

Why wrong?  Seems to follow quite logically,

« Reply #67 on: 23 December, 2008, 08:24:11 pm »
Because it might not be core strength, it might be bike setup, or poor body position, for example.

Jakob

« Reply #68 on: 23 December, 2008, 08:25:55 pm »

The problem with that is that what you call specific training isn't specific to cycling.  It's generalist training, and it's therefore largely ineffective.  Cycling itself is specific core training, specific to cycling.

You're right that my core might be quite reasonable for skating, and it's another case where lots of skating will train it up quite effectively.  You don't need to do any more than that.

I think you got the term wrong.

Core conditioning and abdominal conditioning have become synonymous in recent years but the abdominal muscles alone are over-rated when it comes to real core strength or conditioning. In reality, the abdominal muscles have very limited and specific action. The "core" actually consists of many different muscles that stabilize the spine and pelvis and run the entire length of the torso. These muscles stabilize the spine, pelvis and shoulder and provide a solid foundation for movement in the extremities. Core conditioning exercise programs need to target all these muscle groups to be effective. The muscles of the core make it possible to stand upright and move on two feet. These muscles help control movements, transfer energy, shift body weight and move in any direction. A strong core distributes the stresses of weight-bearing and protects the back.
Core Training - Good Core Training Takes More Than Ab Exercises

« Reply #69 on: 23 December, 2008, 08:39:11 pm »
No, although I see why you misunderstood.  What I meant is that doing sport specific training will also train your core for that particular sport.  Your body will adapt as a whole.

Jakob

« Reply #70 on: 23 December, 2008, 08:49:50 pm »
No, although I see why you misunderstood.  What I meant is that doing sport specific training will also train your core for that particular sport.  Your body will adapt as a whole.

No it wont. Cycling, specifically, will underuse the core muscles used to support your spine, putting more strain on the back muscles and spine. It will, in the long run, make your body as a whole weaker, increasing recovery time and risk of injury.
From skating, due to a lot of lateral movements, you most likely don't have that issue.

« Reply #71 on: 23 December, 2008, 08:50:10 pm »

And in general that's fine, riding will make you fit for riding. But the problem arises when you push to your limit, when things start to fail.

So if you are wanting to ride faster, or longer, what happens is that unobvious parts of your body start to fail under the strain - your back starts to hurt becos' your core can't cope with the workload, your triceps hurts, or your neck gets wobbly.

If you regularly ride 100K them your general riding will equip you fine for 120K, but odd things might fail above 200K (they might not, you might have gained a lot of transeferable strength to carry you through).

« Reply #72 on: 23 December, 2008, 08:51:19 pm »
Forgot to say - many thanks to Jakob for the link - a really good reference source.

« Reply #73 on: 23 December, 2008, 08:56:38 pm »
Cycling, specifically, will underuse the core muscles used to support your spine

Definitely true.

IME.

Chris S

« Reply #74 on: 23 December, 2008, 08:57:57 pm »
This, it has to be said, is a very very useful thread  :thumbsup:.