Author Topic: Illness grumble  (Read 15784 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Illness grumble
« Reply #50 on: 02 June, 2008, 11:54:30 pm »
I've had one day off sick that could be attributed to Audax, in 2 years...

I never had any, ever, though I did have the Thursday before Windsor Chester Windsor off. I was puking big time. I *just* managed to hydrate sufficiently and had eaten only cornflakes when I cycled off to Marlow on the Friday...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #51 on: 03 June, 2008, 06:06:14 pm »
Still poorly here - big glands, sore throat, sore ears, very thirsty, very sleepy and very dizzy.  :'(
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Elleigh

« Reply #52 on: 03 June, 2008, 08:04:50 pm »
Still poorly here - big glands, sore throat, sore ears, very thirsty, very sleepy and very dizzy.  :'(

Oooh that doesn't sound good.  I hope you feel better soon.

« Reply #53 on: 03 June, 2008, 08:14:43 pm »
Get well soon, everyone!

Why is it that people ride 600s again...? ???

So that they can take time off work... ;)
;D

I just feel for their poor knees... I must be middle-aged, I am starting to sound like my mum.  ;D

Feeling for other people's knees can lead you into serious trouble young lady... but I'm game! :D
Lead on!  :P

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #54 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:56:10 am »
Today I am mainly coughing till I puke.

Elleigh

« Reply #55 on: 05 June, 2008, 01:00:28 pm »
Today I am mainly coughing till I puke.

:( not good.  Yesterday I was mainly crying until I puked.  I'm a baby when I feel sick.  Today I am at work feeling a bit better, but not a lot.  I hope you start to feel better soon Kirst!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #56 on: 05 June, 2008, 01:19:32 pm »
I hope so too but I fear it is unlikely. *looks pathetic* I'm going to the GP tonight, mainly because I won't be back at work this week unless a miracle occurs overnight, and I need a sick note for more than 4 days absence.

It drives me mad. I know it's just a cold/virus thing, I know the GP will say "it's a cold/virus thing, stay warm, drink lots of fluids," there is no reason at all for me to see the GP other than that I need a sick note. What a waste of an appointment.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #57 on: 05 June, 2008, 01:52:45 pm »
I hope so too but I fear it is unlikely. *looks pathetic* I'm going to the GP tonight, mainly because I won't be back at work this week unless a miracle occurs overnight, and I need a sick note for more than 4 days absence.

It drives me mad. I know it's just a cold/virus thing, I know the GP will say "it's a cold/virus thing, stay warm, drink lots of fluids," there is no reason at all for me to see the GP other than that I need a sick note. What a waste of an appointment.

I thought you could/should self-certify for absences of up to seven days.

Elleigh

« Reply #58 on: 05 June, 2008, 02:01:27 pm »

I thought you could/should self-certify for absences of up to seven days.

I think it depends on organisations.  I had a boss who used to insist on a doctors note for 3 or more days absence. 

:(  He also used to hold back to work integations.  He held me in his office for 45mins trying to get out of my why I was off once.  I had miscarried but didn't want anyone to know, so I told him I'd had gynae problems.  He said he wanted to know in detail what gynea problems meant.  In the end I burst into tears and told him.  He then ushered me out of his office, where his PA was left to put me back together.)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #59 on: 05 June, 2008, 02:25:16 pm »
My employer only allows self-certification up to 4 days absence.

I had a miscarriage several years ago and when I went back to work, one of the admin staff, who was responsible for the sick forms, saw me in the corridor and asked me why I'd been off so he could log it in his sickness recording system. I told him I wasn't prepared to discuss it with him in the corridor, and he could get it off my sick form once I had completed it. He insisted I tell him, I refused, we argued about it for a few minutes and then I walked away.

He was very apologetic once he'd got the completed form, but why don't people think?

« Reply #60 on: 06 June, 2008, 10:28:27 am »
Hope you recover soon, Kirst!

(I am better now, hurrah, although still avoiding booze & oily things.)

Elleigh

« Reply #61 on: 06 June, 2008, 10:35:01 am »
I'm back on my feet again too.  I've just eaten a biscuit and drank tea without feeling sick.

I hope you are feeling better soon Kirst

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #62 on: 06 June, 2008, 12:16:36 pm »
I still feel awful, but better than I have been all week. I slept last night, which I think has helped. I'm at the point now where I can believe that I will be better one day...

*looks wistful, and a bit pathetic*

« Reply #63 on: 06 June, 2008, 03:32:15 pm »
Poor you all :( Hope you're feeling better soon.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #64 on: 06 June, 2008, 04:46:47 pm »
Kirst & Elleigh excepted, there is a strong pattern in this thread of Brian Chapman participants and also others of us who stayed at the Kings Youth Hostel the following weekend. My daughter has been suffering from diarrhoea and vomiting since Tuesday, her husband since yesterday. I've had bad guts including griping pain, although have produced nothing out of the ordinary except belches that are even more prodigious than usual.

I point the finger at Kings because I know that their water supply was unreliable - their water source was in danger of drying up, and while we were there on quite a few occasions the taps were dry.

The last time I stayed anywhere with a water supply problem was at the New Dungeon Ghyll hotel, Langdale in 2004 and then I had the most violent attack of d & v I have ever suffered. Both these establishments take their water from local streams and treat it locally.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #65 on: 06 June, 2008, 05:14:48 pm »
Didn't managed to get an appointment at the doc's  ::-) but did get a pot to poo in (how, god only knows  :o)
Will be taking it back and see what happens.

Rich.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #66 on: 06 June, 2008, 05:16:50 pm »
I think it's Dolgellau Bellau.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #67 on: 06 June, 2008, 05:26:41 pm »
I point the finger at Kings because I know that their water supply was unreliable - their water source was in danger of drying up, and while we were there on quite a few occasions the taps were dry.
(This also explains why their showers are always so cr@p - would have been less effort to leave bag of wet-wipes in the drop-bag.)

If you'd seen the state of the loos at 8am on BCM Sunday ... PBP loo-seekers had it good.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #68 on: 06 June, 2008, 05:42:55 pm »
(This also explains why their showers are always so cr@p - would have been less effort to leave bag of wet-wipes in the drop-bag.)

If you'd seen the state of the loos at 8am on BCM Sunday ... PBP loo-seekers had it good.

We had this too. It was OK at times of low water usage, but at peak times if someone was using the water downstairs, upstairs didn't get any.

Maladict

« Reply #69 on: 07 June, 2008, 04:02:57 pm »
Well I'm now almost 4kg lighter than I was the day /after/ the BCM.  Should be nice and light for the Border Raid.  Not that it looks a hilly route.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #70 on: 07 June, 2008, 06:21:59 pm »
I feel about 4kg lighter than I was yesterday...  :-[

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #71 on: 08 June, 2008, 05:25:38 pm »
I think whatever it is I've got can vaporise food.

My intake has been a little less than normal, liquid output normal but other output of a non-gaseous nature next to nothing. Gaseous output: my personal contribution to climate change this week has been measurable on a global scale.

I've also lost a fair bit of weight.

« Reply #72 on: 09 June, 2008, 10:02:05 am »
Wow - that sounds similar to me.  Andrews Salts (two double doses, one in the evening, one next morning) restored non-liquid output, but don't stray too far from a loo in the morning...  Things improved after that.  I lost about half a stone.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #73 on: 09 June, 2008, 10:04:59 am »
We've all had some version or other of the Yellow Poo Horror it would seem.

Has anyone informed Kings or the YHA?

They may have a very serious problem.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Elleigh

« Reply #74 on: 09 June, 2008, 10:16:19 am »
I've got an upset tummy again.

Has anyone who had the bug without doing the BC, had a similar experience?