Author Topic: Partial numbness & pins & needles sensation over hip/quad area.  (Read 11974 times)

An odd one. Possible related to my starting to ride my summer bike with it's more "racy" position.  Sometimes whilst riding, sometimes whilst sitting (as now, at my desk at work), sometimes whilst laying in bed (usually on my right side/front with left leg "raised") I get an odd sensation, something akin to a wave of numbeness - ie I can "feel" it "moving" over the muscle - on the outside of my left quad and up over the hip area.  It's intermittent and causes no obvious loss of articulation or power.

Could this be a trapped/pinched nerve?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Partial numbness & pins & needles sensation over hip/quad area.
« Reply #1 on: 27 March, 2012, 12:37:39 pm »
Meralgia paraesthetica.
Usually affects gurls with tight jeans...
Lateral cutaneous nerve of thigh get caught/trapped.

LEE

« Reply #2 on: 27 March, 2012, 12:39:12 pm »
Possibly Sciatica.

I have it.

At first I thought I'd worn out my hip joint but doctor diagnosed it immediately.

The term sciatica describes the symptoms of leg pain and possibly tingling, numbness or weakness that originates in the lower back and travels through the buttock and down the large sciatic nerve in the back of the leg.
Sciatica (pronounced sigh-at-ih-kah) is a symptom of an underlying medical condition – it is not a medical diagnosis in and of itself.
Sciatica Nerve Pain
Sciatica is often characterized by one or more of the following symptoms:
Constant pain in only one side of the buttock or leg (rarely can occur in both legs)
Pain that is worse when sitting
Burning or tingling down the leg (vs. a dull ache)
Weakness, numbness or difficulty moving the leg or foot
A constant pain on one side of the rear
A sharp pain that may make it difficult to stand up or to walk

Mine is of the "dull ache" variety...getting painful if I sit in certain positions.  The driver's seat of my Wife's car seems about the very worst thing for it for some reason.

It's a vague buttock/hip/hamstring/knee ache, very hard to pin down and, seemingly, not easy to fix.

« Reply #3 on: 27 March, 2012, 12:58:41 pm »
Meralgia paraesthetica.
Usually affects gurls with tight jeans...
Lateral cutaneous nerve of thigh get caught/trapped.
I have never heard of this and had to google it. wow.

Multiple bee-sting like pains in the affected area

This describes some of the more puzzling symptoms I've had with my hip over the last few years.

It makes a lot of sense, including the improvements I've had when sticking to a specific stretching routine prescribed by the physio.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4 on: 28 March, 2012, 11:48:52 am »
Thanks Helly, that's it - are my Assos shorts too tight!!.  Ah no, pressure (new to me saddle and new to me position prolly) on the nerve.

Definitely not sciatica (not painful, just odd feeling!), nor a repeat of the pain I had on the other side, which apparently came from a nerve trapped around about the T4 vertebar, but resulted in a sharp pain over the (right) hip bone. A Chiropractor I went to at the time said I was too flexible.

« Reply #5 on: 28 March, 2012, 11:57:32 am »

This describes some of the more puzzling symptoms I've had with my hip over the last few years.

It makes a lot of sense, including the improvements I've had when sticking to a specific stretching routine prescribed by the physio.

What stretches work for you MrC?

« Reply #6 on: 28 March, 2012, 12:03:23 pm »
The physio said I wasn't bending my lower spine at all, but flexing entirely from the hip joint.

She gave me two instructions.

1) 'slouch' when sitting, some of the time

2) whenever I thought of it, to practise bending down without bending at the hips at all, so I stretched and moved my lower back.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7 on: 28 March, 2012, 12:15:04 pm »
Ta, I'll give that a try too - I guess it would help to rotate the pelvis back when riding too, to bend the lover spine a bit and relieve pressure on the groin - and get a flat back!