Author Topic: Re: You know when Superman goes flying through the air with his arms out in front?  (Read 14762 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
I have one, but it's in a suitcase on top of the wardrobe.  ::-)
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I have one, but it's in a suitcase on top of the wardrobe.  ::-)
Can you not ask a neighbour, friend, relly to get it down for you?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Si_Co

I've been necking ibuprofen by the bucketload. It sorted out the muscle pain but it's not touching the joint pain really.  ::-)

GWS, but try and stay off the ibuprofen as NSAIDS inhibit bone healing:

http://www.jaaos.org/content/12/3/139.abstract

Stick to a more traditional painkiller like paracetamol or co-codamol (occasionally), the inflammation will help hold the bones still while they heal, much sympathy I came off twice at about the same time as you on ice and my ribs have just about healed.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

They put me on ibuprofen because the xrays suggested nbi. I haven't had any since fracture clinic.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

I have a tiny fracture in my right superior pubic ramus. I bloody knew it! I said to mum on Boxing Day l was convinced there was a fracture. Should heal gradually over next 4-8 weeks. Am relieved to be back on one stick and fully weightbearing, but embarrassed to have an old lady fracture.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Given where the fracture is located, my offer to kiss it better is withdrawn and I shall leave that to Bobb....  ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Eccentrica Gallumbits

With any luck by the time he's next here I'll be able to get into a suitable position.

I'm actually very relieved. I'm relieved that there is something wrong because if they'd said there was nothing wrong while I'm having pain like this I would have been very displeased. I'm relieved that it's nothing serious, and I'm relieved because I can go back to walking with one stick instead of struggling with crutches. The surgeon wasn't available to come and speak to me but he rang me as I was on my way home to confirm, and said it should heal gradually over 6-10 weeks, so another 4-8 weeks to go. First thing I did was go round to physio and hand over the crutches and demand a stick. And then I went up to see my friend in orthopaedics and she gave me a lift home.  :D

Regulator

If you're in discomfort, I can thoroughly recommend Diclofenac if your GP will prescribe it for you.  It's one of the best analgesics for fractures.

Green Party Councillor

Eccentrica Gallumbits

I'm going to have a root around and see what I have. I have a fine collection of painkillers amassed over the years.

Regulator

I'm going to have a root around and see what I have. I have a fine collection of painkillers amassed over the years nicked off clients.

FTFY   ;) ;D

Green Party Councillor

Eccentrica Gallumbits

:o

How did you know?

Oh, sorry to hear it's a fracture, but like you say at least you have an explanation and no longer have to worry about what might have been missed. Hope it heals fast and you can get back on your bike!

Regulator

:o

How did you know?

Well, we all know about those thieving OTs....

...only slightly less nefarious than consultants.   ;D

Green Party Councillor

Eccentrica Gallumbits

And speaking of nefarious consultants, I was about 2 seconds away from coming face to face with an ex boyfriend, but he was round the corner just quicker than I made it up the stairs so I only saw his back and heard him pontificating.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Never mind the consultants - my grandfather was a surgeon, the things he had in his attic were definitely not regular painkillers!

Fracture-fixing waves.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
I have a tiny fracture in my right superior pubic ramus. I bloody knew it! I said to mum on Boxing Day l was convinced there was a fracture. Should heal gradually over next 4-8 weeks. Am relieved to be back on one stick and fully weightbearing, but embarrassed to have an old lady fracture.

At least you know you were right.  And healing can't happen properly until the diagnosis, so it's good that you're looking after it properly.
Getting there...

RJ

• Droll rat
I'm actually very relieved. I'm relieved that there is something wrong because if they'd said there was nothing wrong while I'm having pain like this I would have been very displeased. I'm relieved that it's nothing serious, and I'm relieved because I can go back to walking with one stick instead of struggling with crutches.  <snip>

Given the range of possible diagnoses, on balance this sounds not *too* bad.  Though clearly it would be better to be completely OK. 

(If it's any consolation, I went @rse over tit this morning hurrying for a number 2 bus, because I thought it might be too icy to cycle  ::-) - on water-covered sheet ice, so had to go home and change trousers  :-[)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Yeah, I'm quite cheery about it. There is something wrong, but it's not really bad, and it'll get better. Could be much worse.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Good to have a proper diagnosis.

Remember to eat with those painkillers.  ;)

Bleeding stomachs aren't nice.
It is simpler than it looks.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Well, it's ten weeks today since I did it, and I "should" be healed by now. I'm still having quite a lot of achyness and I'm managing a moderately slow limp without my stick, so I've referred myself to physio for some follow-up. The achyness is both lateral thigh (where I landed on probably my femoral head) and - er, groin, which is where the fracture is, which I'm pretty sure was because as I landed on my outer hip, the bike saddle jammed into me from the other side and the opposing forces did for me.

Anyway, the good news is I got back on my bike today. I did almost nothing, just a couple of turns round the Engine Shed car park, less than 100 yards, but I managed it. The hardest bit was getting my leg over.  ;D I'm at Stores all day on Friday and Monday which is almost exactly half way to work, so I think I will cycle there (all off road) and I can walk back if cycling's too much, or cycle back if I can, and then build up from there. Maybe cycling to and from work for a while but get the bus to visits.

Well, it's ten weeks today since I did it, and I "should" be healed by now. I'm still having quite a lot of achyness and I'm managing a moderately slow limp without my stick, so I've referred myself to physio for some follow-up. The achyness is both lateral thigh (where I landed on probably my femoral head) and - er, groin, which is where the fracture is, which I'm pretty sure was because as I landed on my outer hip, the bike saddle jammed into me from the other side and the opposing forces did for me.

Anyway, the good news is I got back on my bike today. I did almost nothing, just a couple of turns round the Engine Shed car park, less than 100 yards, but I managed it. The hardest bit was getting my leg over.  ;D I'm at Stores all day on Friday and Monday which is almost exactly half way to work, so I think I will cycle there (all off road) and I can walk back if cycling's too much, or cycle back if I can, and then build up from there. Maybe cycling to and from work for a while but get the bus to visits.

:thumbsup: Good to hear you're back on the bike. Hope the hurtiness lessens quickly.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

I wasn't really back on the bike. The soreness was still too much. Today, however, I was determined to try. It was much easier to get my leg over the frame and I did 2.95 miles - just down the Innocent to Duddingston Road West and back again. Being on a saddle is still painful but not as bad as it was. I'm terribly out of condition, but I didn't have to get off and push on the uphill, despite the headwind, not even in the tunnel. I didn't have any panniers though. Coming back after a day at work will be a different matter.

So I'm going to try a few commutes this week, as long as it's not icy.  :D

Good luck Kirst  :thumbsup:.
Hopefully a bit of light exercise will speed up the recovery too. :)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
A certain amount of cycling helps recovery from this injury, IME.  It's just difficult to find the right mix of rest and exercise.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Eccentrica Gallumbits

I went back to the doctor today because I'm having bone pain in my groin when my hip is externally rotated in flexion. All other ranges of movement are fine, but external rotation in flexion is sore, and feels a bit like the bones are grating. All the crepitus is gone though. She thinks they were over-optimistic in giving me a healing time of 6-10 weeks, but she's offered to write to the community physios to speed up my appointment, and to ask them to see my at ortho assessment rather than just triage. She thinks my symphisis pubis might be slightly misaligned. (This post is absolutely fine without pictures).

I cycled to work and got the bus home and cycled back the next day last week. Yesterday I cycled in and back, today I cycled in and got the bus back. I'll cycle back tomorrow and on Friday I plan to do both ways, unless the wind is really mad again - cycling home against the headwind yesterday was so tiring I could have cried. I didn't get off and push though, and I have been known to do that even when I didn't have an injury!