Author Topic: Sugar  (Read 13003 times)

Re: Sugar
« Reply #25 on: 03 February, 2013, 08:32:51 am »
Check out the Glycaemic Load index my friend has also been giving up the bad sugars in life and has had great success with this! I'll do my best to get hold of a book title for you.

Toady

« Reply #26 on: 03 February, 2013, 03:27:45 pm »
I did a label reading exercise on cereals a while ago.  IIRC bran flakes were surprisingly bad and Shredded Wheat good.

Watch out for those ready made sandwiches.  They're full of all sorts of stuff.

I have sugar in my tea, but I very rarely drink tea.  So that's about 10 teaspoons a year.

Anyway, the reason I started this post was to add a link to an interesting youtube vid on the subject of HFCS.  But it's not there anymore. :(

As to porridge that's a notoriously personal thing.  Me, I wouldn't let salt near my porridge, the only thing I ever add salt to is eggs.  I make it with 50/50 milk & water and serve it with milk. And I do it in the microwave too.  But that's just what I prefer.  Others differ. 

As a youth I went cycling youth hostelling with a friend who insisted on a matter of principle that porridge must be cooked with salt in it, and refused to add it after serving.  I thought it was vile.  Hence my long standing antipathy to any kind of oat-related dogmatism.

« Reply #27 on: 03 February, 2013, 07:21:24 pm »
Tea was/is my big downfall, I probably drink about 9 to 12 mugs a day and until the other day I would have a big heaped teaspoon in each one
now I've discovered I can drink earl grey without sugar,so thats a big improvement I also have 1 mug of green tea a day which is taking a bit of getting used to, I hope to wean myself back onto the pg tips without sugar soon :)

« Reply #28 on: 03 February, 2013, 07:25:20 pm »
Tea was/is my big downfall, I probably drink about 9 to 12 mugs a day ... I hope to wean myself back onto the pg tips without sugar soon :)
The 'traditional' method1 is to give up sugar in your tea for lent.  I only know one person who could face sugar in tea after a six week gap (and I think she basically stopped drinking the stuff for the duration).

1) At least for those of us brought up as Catholics2

2) Didn't work with me as when I was in the 'giving things up for lent' phase of my life I didn't drink tea or coffee.  I gave up when I ran out of sugar towards the end of term at uni.  But I had been cutting down for ages by then.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #29 on: 03 February, 2013, 07:29:58 pm »
fwiw, one of my former colleagues had a big "beer-belly", which disappeared after he stopped putting sugar in his tea (he used to put 2-3 teaspoons!). this was after his doctor gave him a grim forecast if he carries on with his (then) current diet. "sugar-belly" should be a more appropriate term.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #30 on: 03 February, 2013, 08:02:32 pm »
Other than fruit and dried fruit (that I already eat), what sweet-tasting snacks should I try to get on as I try to get off sweet biscuits, chocolate and jelly babies, etc?

I don't think I could manage by sticking to savoury, and I'm a grazer.  I can't just have three big meals a day and no snacks.  My stomach (that incidentally has two exits to my bowel) is not happy otherwise, and I'd lose weight that I can't afford to lose.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #31 on: 03 February, 2013, 08:10:37 pm »
I think, as Biggsy's stomach is not normal, more refined and easily digested foods are appropriate.
I'm not sure I'd recommend giving up sweet biscuits unless there's an overweight/sugar swing problem.
Savoury crackers might be OK but tricks which reduce overall energy intake may not be suitable when digestion is limited.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #32 on: 03 February, 2013, 08:50:27 pm »
I eat such enormous amounts of sugar that I'm concerned about becoming diabetic despite not being overweight.  The medication I'm on helps me to eat complex carbs and high fibre with usually no problems.  So I could eat more healthily if I "get clean" from my sugar addition.

*takes another bite of iced cake*
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #33 on: 03 February, 2013, 09:18:31 pm »
well I'm hoping to cut back as much as I can on adding sugar to my diet and where ever possible choose the low sugar option when buying food in,
but just looking on labels from 3 different makes of baked beans you get 3 different amounts, I can see this is going to take some working out but I know one thing I will still have a bag of jelly babies on me when I'm riding :)

« Reply #34 on: 03 February, 2013, 09:56:05 pm »
I'm quite useful in the kitchen, even if I say so myself :) I suppose the really annoying thing is that we should have to go to all this trouble to have less sugar in our diets, I suppose it's the price of modern cheap food.

Do we have any links for UK sites :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #35 on: 03 February, 2013, 10:09:57 pm »
Well, I would research how to make my own baked beans, without refined sugar :-)

This recipe uses date paste with a bit of ketchup (id: sugar): http://nosugarsweetlife.com/content/mmaz-dates-no-sugar-baked-beans

And this one uses maple syrup: http://motherrimmy.com/sugar-free-baked-beans-recipe

Or this one: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=697714

Granted, I haven't tried any of the above, my ownrecipe contains raw cane sugar...

Does maple syrup have any advantages over cane sugar? What about date paste? I am very sceptical about 'natural' sugars being less harmful than 'refined' sugar. Oranges/juice contain sucrose which is chemically identical to cane sugar.

Flynn

• Fred Killah
Sugar
« Reply #36 on: 04 February, 2013, 12:03:19 am »
Sucrose is ok, it's fructose that's a problem.
ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.
1. Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #37 on: 04 February, 2013, 12:19:07 am »
And sucrose is broken down in the body into what?
50% Glucose, 50% fructose...

Fructose (lævulose) is what makes fruits sweet; it's sweeter, weight for weight than sucrose, which is sweeter than glucose (dextrose/grape sugar). They are all 'natural'.

Fructose does not take all the same metabolic paths as glucose and might have a role in some of the medical problems that are seen nowadays but I'm not convinced it is as naughty a 'baddie' as some pundits might preach.

IMO drinking (rather than eating) sugar can cause problems, especially in excess.

Drinking 2 litres of Tropicana orange juice per day caused my relative major health problems...

« Reply #38 on: 04 February, 2013, 08:48:14 am »
So how bad is honey then ?
this sugar malarkey is a real can of worms, apart from what occurs naturally in food stuff everything else is just there to make things "taste better" so if you go back in time there must be a point where our food today would taste pretty disgusting to people from the past, 
with that in mind how far back would you have to go before sugar was a common ingredient in the cupboard 1600's, 1500's or earlier ?

« Reply #39 on: 04 February, 2013, 09:03:19 am »
I've been surprised how quickly I've stopped craving sugar. That's all sugar- sugar in fruit, vegetables, milk, honey. Doesn't really matter where it comes from, it all does the same.

Sugar (in the UK) was a real luxury item. Sugar beet is relatively recent-
Quote from: Living Countryside
Beet has been grown for food and fodder since ancient times. However, it was not until 1747 that Andreas Marggraf, a German chemist, succeeded in extracting sugar from beet in a form which could be used in cooking. During the Napoleonic Wars the British Navy blockaded French ports preventing sugar cane from being imported so that through necessity sugar beet farming started in mainland Europe. By 1880, beet was the main source of sugar in Europe.
And sugar cane expensive, and imported. Before we went to the far east, we didn't have any sugar, except from honey.
See the Danish sugar site:
http://www.dansukker.co.uk/uk/about-sugar/how-sugar-arrived-in-europe.aspx

« Reply #40 on: 04 February, 2013, 09:11:40 am »
Try having a look at this guy.

http://www.montignac.com/en/the-concept-behind-the-montignac-method/

Some years ago I read his book "Eat Yourself Slim"  It has a chapter called "Sugar is Poison"
"Il veut moins de riches, moi je veux moins de pauvres"

« Reply #41 on: 04 February, 2013, 10:45:13 am »
Sugar was available during Elizabethan times, but it was very expensive. Elizabeth I was very fond of it to the extent that her teeth were appaling.
I don't think it became cheap enough for 'ordinary' people to afford until the 18th century.
It is possible to cook very interesting food without sugar but once it became available it's always been vey popular.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #42 on: 04 February, 2013, 10:57:12 am »
yep I can remember Mr Botham going on about shredded wheat but the OH picked up a box of bitesize shredded wheat today complete with 0.7g of sugar per 100g, but the only ingredient listed is 100% wheat,

I'm trying to cut back on the amount of salt intake as well ;D

You'll struggle to avoid all natural sugars, which is what that content is. All you can do is avoid added sugars - and I would suggest, drink water in place of fruit juices.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #43 on: 04 February, 2013, 11:11:12 am »
Someone interviewed on Radio 4 (in, I think, You and Yours; a piece by Michael Moseley on health and weight) described fruit juice as "bottled obesity".

« Reply #44 on: 04 February, 2013, 12:01:05 pm »
thats what I intend to do, avoid as much as possible added sugar I would think it's almost impossible to avoid natural sugars, as for water thats no problem  we have our own borehole, so no fluoride or heavy metals etc floating around in that, can't comment on the ecoli thobut ;D   

« Reply #45 on: 04 February, 2013, 12:17:11 pm »
Then all you need to do is break the addiction to sweet stuff (no honey in porage for instance..).  I find adding a banana to hot porage makes it more palatable for me, and adds some sweetness too.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Toady

« Reply #46 on: 04 February, 2013, 12:51:51 pm »
According to the internets a teaspoon of sugar weighs 4 grams.

I've just had a rather small, unsatisfying and generally not very nice chicken wrap.  I'll be hungry later on.  Anyway, to underline what I was saying about pre-made sandwiches, I checked the label and it had 16.9g of sugar.  That's over 4 teaspoons of sugar, which seems overkill for a small savoury snack.

Also 3g of salt.  Which seems rather a lot.  But this thread isn't about salt.

« Reply #47 on: 04 February, 2013, 01:02:12 pm »
salt did get a mention in reply No:10 :)

I have a problem with bananas, they make me feel sick after eating them, this is why I tend to use honey or dried fruit on/in my porridge
so loading up on sugar there and I love dates another great source of natural sugar :) 

« Reply #48 on: 04 February, 2013, 01:06:06 pm »
There's still sugar in bananas...
12g/100g.
Doesn't really matter if it's in fruit or not. It ends up the same.

« Reply #49 on: 04 February, 2013, 01:17:05 pm »
If I don't eat sugary things, I get tired, fall asleep uncontrollably (have been known to fall asleep on my feet or while talking).

Honest, I've tried not eating it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>