Author Topic: SR Cymru  (Read 37749 times)

Spikey

Re: SR Cymru
« Reply #25 on: 12 December, 2008, 05:10:59 pm »
Do DIYs count or does it have to be ''normal' perms and/or calendar events. I'm aiming for a 1st SR next year including BC and BCM, together with some perms ridden from home. I have a DIY 200 and 300 in mind both over 75% welsh. Alternatively the Cambrian 2B and 3A would fit the bill although riding from home would add 30+K each.

daflloyd

« Reply #26 on: 13 December, 2008, 07:24:37 pm »
I understand that the SR Cymru criteria are that of a "normal" SR in terms of DIYs; and therefore they do qualify.

Craig

« Reply #27 on: 13 December, 2008, 07:47:48 pm »
Is there an equivalent SR Ecosse?
It was mentioned in Arrivee last year, for an SR series from events starting in Scotland. Claims to Lucy McTaggart. I don't know if there's any badge or anything available.

Chris N

« Reply #28 on: 14 December, 2008, 11:17:42 am »
I understand that the SR Cymru criteria are that of a "normal" SR in terms of DIYs; and therefore they do qualify.

Yes, I think that's right - though I guess Ross would have to see the route/controls for DIYs and decide on a ride-by-ride basis.

Chris N

« Reply #29 on: 17 July, 2009, 09:19:39 am »
I done it!

Ross has confirmed that my rides count (Cambrian 200, Brevet Cymru, Bryan Chapman and Irish Mail) so I just have to wait for the badge.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #30 on: 17 July, 2009, 09:22:13 am »
I done it!

Ross has confirmed that my rides count (Cambrian 200, Brevet Cymru, Bryan Chapman and Irish Mail) so I just have to wait for the badge.

:thumbsup:

H

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #31 on: 17 July, 2009, 09:24:32 am »
Top effort.  An enviable list of rides to boot!

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #32 on: 17 July, 2009, 09:42:59 am »
No. Doesn't quite qualify on altitude either. You'll just have to do the BC and Irish Mail 400s.

Oh, c'mon John - I'm sure you could fit two extra loops in this weekend to provide a back-to-back SR in one hit ;D
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #33 on: 17 July, 2009, 09:53:10 am »
One year I will get this badge.  Maybe it's next years goal

I usually do a 400/600 in loverly Wales but slip up on the 200/300.  The Elenith doesn't count and I find it difficult to travel even a little bit for 200s

« Reply #34 on: 17 July, 2009, 09:55:19 am »
Can you get it with a DIY?  Will probably ride BCM as a DIY over next month.

Chris N

« Reply #35 on: 17 July, 2009, 10:05:03 am »
Can you get it with a DIY?  Will probably ride BCM as a DIY over next month.

I don't know - you'll have to ask Ross to find out.

« Reply #36 on: 17 July, 2009, 10:05:56 am »
Ross, can you get it with a DIY?

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #37 on: 17 July, 2009, 01:54:48 pm »
One year I will get this badge.  Maybe it's next years goal

I usually do a 400/600 in loverly Wales but slip up on the 200/300.  The Elenith doesn't count and I find it difficult to travel even a little bit for 200s

I've got into the habit of doing the Cambrian series of permanents every year.  For example, this year I'm doing one of the 600s as a August bank holiday jaunt and might squeeze in a couple of the 200s in September/October.  The roads in Wales are so easy to navigate that I find these permanents very convenient (given you can start anywhere on route, although I tend to focus on Abergavenny, Hay or Chepstow) and a good alternative to the sporadic Welsh calendar events (particularly for 300s).

« Reply #38 on: 17 July, 2009, 04:43:47 pm »
Regarding the SR Cymru award requirements: -

They are the same as the SR with which you will be familiar and DIYs therefore qualify.
The only additional requirement is that the rides you nominate must run 75% within Wales or, failing that the total ascent must be 75% in Wales.

Without the 75% Welsh element there would be little point going for the SR Cymru!

The list of qualifying Welsh rides continues to be developed, but currently is as follows: -

200Km
Carmarthen Bay, Down with The British, Ferryside Fish Foray, Gower Getter, Transporter, Monmouthshire Meander, Making Hay, 'Round Rhondda, Elan & Ystwyth and Tregaron Dragon, Cambrian 200

300Km
Peacocks and Kites

400Km
Teifi Traveller, Irish Mail, Brevet Cymru

600Km
Bryan Chapman, Cambrian

As can be noted, we are pretty limited on choice of rides in the 300 category and not exactly flush in the 400 and 600Km categories.
The Offa's Dyke 600 does not qualify on distance or ascent criteria within Wales. Neither does the Kiddermister Killer or the Elenith, sorry.

If anyone knows of other audaxes which would qualify or of any above which do not, then I would be pleased to learn of them.

I have received but one application to date so if there are others who believe they have earned the SR Cymru award then please let me know with an email to rossjeal@gladestry.com

Presently I am rather snowed under with the Welsh Festival of Cycling, the Gladestry Audax Weekend and riding the Wednesday Peaks so don't expect to get a response, especially where a decision is needed much before September!

Regards,
Ross Jeal

« Reply #39 on: 17 July, 2009, 08:01:52 pm »

If anyone knows of other audaxes which would qualify or of any above which do not, then I would be pleased to learn of them.

U.N Dulates 1000k ride next year?

« Reply #40 on: 17 July, 2009, 08:22:58 pm »
Nothing so evocative, I'm afraid ;)

One to treasure for its rarity and for what it stands, rather than for any inherent charm...

If we've done more than one SR Cymru, do we just get a bar to on the ribbon?
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

StanThomas

« Reply #41 on: 17 July, 2009, 09:56:38 pm »

The Clwydian 200 out of Corwen? One of Graham Mills's rides, resurrected in March of this year by Dave Matthews.

Chris N

« Reply #42 on: 15 August, 2009, 11:49:25 am »
Nothing so evocative, I'm afraid ;)

One to treasure for its rarity and for what it stands, rather than for any inherent charm...

It hasn't changed:

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #43 on: 15 August, 2009, 12:18:26 pm »
Shame that the Marches and Merseyside does not count otherwise I would qualify. (Monmouthshire meander + Kites&Peacocks + Brevet Cymru)
Chief cat entertainer.

DanialW

« Reply #44 on: 17 August, 2009, 11:23:00 am »
I bet The Cambrian's right on the 75% rule too!

Chris N

« Reply #45 on: 17 August, 2009, 12:03:51 pm »

Don't think so - it crosses into Wales before Presteigne, so about 90% is Welsh.

« Reply #46 on: 17 August, 2009, 02:26:05 pm »

Don't think so - it crosses into Wales before Presteigne, so about 90% is Welsh.
[/quote]

Presteigne is right on the border, so depending on how you arrive there - Danial might have a good point.

On another point, I seem to remember (an amusing debate) on another long distance cycling forum. It sprang from the premise that Welsh SRs could only truly exist if the event started in Wales and was organised by someone that was Welsh.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #47 on: 17 August, 2009, 03:52:52 pm »

If the route is still the same as when I rode it in 2007, I reckon that rather more than 50% of it is in the BRITONS' England!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Chris N

« Reply #48 on: 17 August, 2009, 03:59:21 pm »
Ah.  I wonder if Danial's talking about the Cambrian 200 or the Cambrian 600?  If the former, then 90% distance (and probably 99% altitude) is definitely Welsh.  If the 600 then I dunno.

« Reply #49 on: 17 August, 2009, 04:39:35 pm »
I couldn't understand Danial's comment!

Does he mean that the Welsh section content of the Cambrian route (or ascent) is 'exactly' 75 %, that the Cambrian is 'correctly' complying with the 75% rule or that the Cambrian section is very close but not a qualifying route?

For that matter, which 'Cambrian' ride are we discussing?
If we exclude the Permanents, then I am aware of three Cambrian rides!

Whatever, the scheduled Cambrian 200 qualifies as a SR Cymru ride as far as I can make out.

Regards,
Ross Jeal