Author Topic: Bad town names  (Read 2266 times)

librarian

• Quiet please
Bad town names
« on: 03 September, 2009, 09:08:16 am »
Yep, Slough is the worst name and I am allowed to say that because I live there. Let's examine the word in detail.

1) What is a slough? A slough is a heap of earth or spoil. In other words, a slough is material that is by definition unwanted and further implies the presence of a hole or pit.

2) When thickened skin comes away it is said to slough off. It also means "a mass of dead tissue separating from an ulcer".

3) The famous hymn "Lift Up Your Hearts, We Lift Them To The Lord", mentions "the mire of sin, the slough of guilty fears".

4) A slough is "a place of deep mud or mire balso slew or slue \ˈslü\ (1) : swamp (2) : an inlet on a river; also : backwater (3) : a creek in a marsh or tide flat 2 : a state of moral degradation or spiritual dejection" (m-w.com).

Therefore, ladies and gentlemen, I propose that Slough is the worst name. I challenge any other town to have a name with so many meanings, from geography, medicine to religion, all negative or even physically repulsive.

They really should change the name to Herschel, after the astronomer with the telescope. I'm sure there are firms in the City that would like to open offices in Slough, but they can't, because if they did, they won't be able to show their faces in a bar in the City for all the guys doing that monkey dance. The only exception is Far East companies like LG and Honda who don't understand such things.