Author Topic: Tandems for pilots with size 15 feet.  (Read 1842 times)

Tandems for pilots with size 15 feet.
« on: 24 June, 2016, 08:05:32 pm »
Due to increasing feebleness on my part I thought of enlisting my wee laddie as trainee pilot on my Argos racing tandem. We couldn't even get started because his feet (UK size 15) fouled the front wheel when endeavouring to set off. I am thinking of selling off this one and the Dolan I pilot with McNasty and Dick McT and buying one that would suit all of us. The wee laddie is 6'5", I am 5'8" and McNasty and Dick McT are circa 5'4". Anyone have any experience of this problem and how to solve it? I will contact JD at some time for there expertise. I normally ride a 54cms solo but have ridden a 60cms bike in the past.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
Re: Tandems for pilots with size 15 feet.
« Reply #1 on: 25 June, 2016, 01:13:04 pm »
I have size 14 (UK) feet and didn't have any problems when riding the front of a Cannondale Road Tandem. I don't normally pilot, but it seems fine.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #2 on: 27 June, 2016, 09:09:15 am »
A setback seatpost, shorter stem, and setback cleats will probably not solve the problem completely, but  it may help a little bit!  Another though: are you sure the eccentric bottom bracket is set near its rearmost position? Sometimes, it is possible to achieve a proper timing chain tension with one more or one less link on the timing chain. this would gives you an extra half inch of clearance.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #3 on: 27 June, 2016, 09:58:47 am »
Sorry. my reply wasn't actually that helpful - I thought you were looking to buy a replacement.
Everyone's favourite windbreak