Author Topic: [HAMR] Another go .. TG??  (Read 175268 times)

whosatthewheel

Re: Another go .. TG??
« Reply #950 on: 02 March, 2018, 07:17:30 pm »
If MK has had the same weather as us, it’ll be 2-3 inches deep in snow right now, which may stymie tomorrow’s finale. It may start to thaw around midnight tonight, but I suspect it will be slow.

I am not the most optimistic bod out there, but I have worked out that MAYBE I can resume cycling to work on wednesday

rob

« Reply #951 on: 02 March, 2018, 07:20:07 pm »
I rode to work and back every day this week into Victoria.   Fine for me but not exactly practical for a mileater.

« Reply #952 on: 02 March, 2018, 07:29:51 pm »
Steve Tweeted he was staying at home.

So he did, and sounds pretty sanguine about it  :thumbsup:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

whosatthewheel

« Reply #953 on: 03 March, 2018, 12:29:41 pm »
Sensible....  ;D

@steve_abraham74

Last day of 1YTT today. Feeling trashed and spending the day in Wetherspoons Milton Keynes if anyone wants to come and say hello.

« Reply #954 on: 03 March, 2018, 02:39:40 pm »
@steve_abraham74

Last day of 1YTT today. Feeling trashed and spending the day in Wetherspoons Milton Keynes if anyone wants to come and say hello.

Reassuring to see that the last 3 yrs have not made a dent in his sanity :-)
I'd have popped over if I could have found the time.

His physical achievements are one thing, but personally I find the whole psychological side of what's he's been up too as, quite frankly, just bewildering. I can barely get my head round it. It's just incredible to me that never once has he expressed the sentiment of 'sod this for a game of soldiers, I'm out of here' - at least not publicly. To keep at it, day after day after day, without getting just plain sick of it is a very unusual trait in somebody - especially a pursuit that brings it's fair amount of discomfort. Doesn't matter how much we love doing something, if you do nothing else at all, sooner or later it can so often lose its gloss and we can easily divert and go do something else. It's pretty obvious that a person needs the staying power to have a crack at this, but Steve seems to have this quality in never ending lorry loads. It's not something I'd ever even want to contemplate, and I'm not sure I even like the whole challenge in itself, but it's a shame Steve got so close to conquering Tommy Goodwins record. It was his dream and he came so very close. Enjoy that drink, you deserve it - if it's alcoholic, goodness knows what his body is going to make of it after all this time! :D
Garry Broad

« Reply #955 on: 03 March, 2018, 03:38:41 pm »
The Ivanoscope suggests he's still at the pub.

The final mileage looks to be 72,384 miles plus to Wetherspoons and (presumably) back.

(due to a cockup some of my recently posted numbers are about 100 miles too high)

whosatthewheel

« Reply #956 on: 03 March, 2018, 04:27:13 pm »
The Ivanoscope suggests he's still at the pub.

The final mileage looks to be 72,384 miles plus to Wetherspoons and (presumably) back.

(due to a cockup some of my recently posted numbers are about 100 miles too high)

Speed suggests he walked there...  ;D

Hope is having a great time among friends, at last

« Reply #957 on: 03 March, 2018, 04:51:48 pm »
If anyone deserves a good drink its steve :thumbsup: total respect to steve for his two attempts at this record and to be honest its down to steve others did the year.

Now how many years till someone else as a go at the record?

A big well done from me .

whosatthewheel

« Reply #958 on: 03 March, 2018, 05:14:54 pm »

Now how many years till someone else as a go at the record?

With my rational head, I'd say... it will never happen again.... it's one year of someone's life, there is no money in it, there is very limited glory in it... nobody has ever heard of Amanda Coker, before or after... it begs the question... why?

With my irrational head, I'd say... there is a challenge there, somebody will have a go... there are enough bonkers people out there to keep it going...  ;D

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #959 on: 03 March, 2018, 07:38:25 pm »
+1 to everything Von Broad said.

Since Steve revised his target to 73,000 miles I've been thinking about that distance.  I don't think I've ever traveled that far in a year by any means.  I work away a lot, in fact I have not worked a sane distance from home since 2004.  I've had daily 80 mile round trips, obviously not even close to Steve.  I've had Monday/Friday commutes to Manchester and Edinburgh, not even close.  I spent a year on rotation to Qatar, still not going to touch Steve's distance traveled.   My max year is probably the one in which I drove 21k miles and logged four round trips across the pond (Houston & SF) plus some shorter trips overseas.  I still don't think I traveled in that year as far as Steve has ridden his bike this year.

Nor do I get close on hours worked, not even by including travel time on top of 72 hour weeks.

The sheer determination, persistence, dedication, call it what you like, is utterly alien to my mind.  Chapeau Steve.  Chapeau!
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #960 on: 03 March, 2018, 08:54:23 pm »
Chapeau Steve. Amazing effort. Your record attempt will be remembered for years to come.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #961 on: 03 March, 2018, 08:57:05 pm »
Well, he has recorded 3 attempts, IIRC. How many miles has he notched up in 3 years? Something utterly mind-boggling. 150000? He must have done abouta thousand miles a week in that time.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #962 on: 03 March, 2018, 09:30:32 pm »
With my rational head, I'd say... it will never happen again....

Bruce Berkley? (Cycle_Dr1)

was meant to be doing the week again in Chiang Mai (aim was 3000km in 7 days) but seems dogged with bad luck (or guts)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #963 on: 03 March, 2018, 09:42:51 pm »
I can't be in Milton Keynes this evening but I am supporting Steve from afar by drinking beer.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #964 on: 03 March, 2018, 09:53:19 pm »
What a hero (and nutter, of course)!

« Reply #965 on: 03 March, 2018, 10:24:54 pm »
Well, he has recorded 3 attempts, IIRC. How many miles has he notched up in 3 years? Something utterly mind-boggling. 150000? He must have done abouta thousand miles a week in that time.

Steve reckons he's done around 166,000 miles over the three years (excluding the Turbo!).

For context that 70% of the way to the moon.

« Reply #966 on: 03 March, 2018, 10:37:32 pm »
chapeau

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #967 on: 04 March, 2018, 01:31:42 am »
I'm sure that Steve qualifies (several times over) to become a member of this club
http://300k-cc.co.uk/

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #968 on: 04 March, 2018, 08:13:11 am »
I'm sure that Steve qualifies (several times over) to become a member of this club
On the Audax site he is awarded 25 SR series and these were all before this venture. One point for the club is that there is a verifiable record. I for one have only known how far I ride since the advent of Strava, so the really high mileage years in my 40s are pure guess work.

Maybe it is the same for Steve and no sane man could doubt he has ridden the 300K miles, but can it be verified? No estimates are allowed.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #969 on: 04 March, 2018, 08:42:29 am »
On the Audax site he is awarded 25 SR series and these were all before this venture. One point for the club is that there is a verifiable record. I for one have only known how far I ride since the advent of Strava, so the really high mileage years in my 40s are pure guess work.

Maybe it is the same for Steve and no sane man could doubt he has ridden the 300K miles, but can it be verified? No estimates are allowed.

BB

Ah, the days when we could brag big mileage without having to provide hard electronic evidence... or tell anecdotes about past political leaders that didn't have to be backed up by Google's unarguable truth... don't you just miss all of that?

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #970 on: 04 March, 2018, 11:29:10 am »
The AUK website has information going back to 1991. Could be worth asking if the club would accept a mileage collated from the website.

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #971 on: 04 March, 2018, 12:28:13 pm »
I've been through the AUK results pages for Steve's rides.

1994 -1999 lists a total of 636 points = 63,600 miles
2000-2014 individual results miles total 89,268
Last 3 years 166,000
Total 318,868

If he doesn't turn a pedal again this year his average yearly mileage for the 14 years will be 22,776

Plus all the other rides he has done in addition to audaxes and the record attempts.

Mind boggling.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #972 on: 04 March, 2018, 01:31:53 pm »
CHAPEAU!!!
Getting there...

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #973 on: 04 March, 2018, 01:50:52 pm »
I've been through the AUK results pages for Steve's rides.

1994 -1999 lists a total of 636 points = 63,600 miles
2000-2014 individual results miles total 89,268
Last 3 years 166,000
Total 318,868

If he doesn't turn a pedal again this year his average yearly mileage for the 14 years will be 22,776

Plus all the other rides he has done in addition to audaxes and the record attempts.

Mind boggling.
Are we mixing miles and KM here are the first two values in KM or miles. It is 1 audax point for every 100km and that is 62.1 miles.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #974 on: 04 March, 2018, 02:32:31 pm »
Oops.

2000-2014 is miles - the details list both miles and km.

Clanged on the points, 63600 is km = 39750 miles.

Total "only" 285,478.

I wonder whether Steve has a record of his other miles.