Author Topic: Off-road audax  (Read 23553 times)

Re: Off-road audax
« Reply #100 on: 03 January, 2016, 07:46:51 pm »
You toad!  Glad you got back safely.  I'll try and get a few pictures sorted out later.  Thanks for the company on a very silly excursion!

peter

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #101 on: 03 January, 2016, 08:13:41 pm »
Pics!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #103 on: 03 January, 2016, 09:21:32 pm »
Looking at those pics I think you need some wider tyres!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #105 on: 03 January, 2016, 09:39:10 pm »
Working here without one... and I agree with Torslanda.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #106 on: 03 January, 2016, 09:42:01 pm »
Mudax!

You all seemed really happy to be out - some great photos.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #107 on: 03 January, 2016, 11:16:00 pm »
Funny. On this computer, no FB login prompt.

Looks like a super day out. Interesting mix of road surfaces - but they all look usable. Round here it would be mud.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #108 on: 03 January, 2016, 11:26:32 pm »
That does look very enjoyable.  :thumbsup:
And it works without a facebuk ac.

Wider tyres? Don't seem to be necessary but would probably help. Depends how willing you are to walk.  :D

Super Grenouiller is a wonderful description.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #109 on: 03 January, 2016, 11:35:54 pm »
I find that on surfaces like the one in the first photo, wide tyres (and sproingy bikes) are mostly about how willing you are to lose the feeling in your fingers for the next couple of days.  It's mud where they really become an alternative to walking.

Of course it's not true Comedy Off-Roading unless you do it on a Mildly Inappropriate Bike.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #110 on: 04 January, 2016, 12:32:25 am »
The comedy off-roading involved mildly inappropriate footwear, rather than bikes.  Report soon.

PS  We saw some sheep that looked just like recumbents from the right angle.

Edit:  Report here:-

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=95119.msg1967822#msg1967822

« Reply #111 on: 04 January, 2016, 12:55:11 pm »
I was out on 32c Schwalbe CX Pros and they were fine except for one stretch where I would have preferred to have the wide tyres of the 29er. A bit draggy on the road sections though so YMMV.

For my next excursion, I'm contemplating picking up the Trans-Pennine-Trail in Oughtibridge and taking it to Glossop with a return by Hayfield, the Pennine Way to Barber Booth, into Hope and threading through Bamford, Strines and Bradfield to finish.

« Reply #112 on: 04 January, 2016, 02:12:24 pm »
Great ride report, looks like I missed a good day out :(

TSK - sounds like a good route, there are some nice bits connecting Glossop > Hope, although some might be more appropriate on a mountain bike at this time of year...

When are you thinking of riding over? Might be tricky for me to get to  Oughtibridge, but could try and catch you near Glossop and tag along for a while...

« Reply #113 on: 04 January, 2016, 02:49:16 pm »
I'll not be doing it until we've had at least a couple of drier weeks. I've a few other things I'm doing on the MTB in the wetter stuff. I'll update here.

« Reply #114 on: 24 October, 2016, 10:54:26 pm »
Digging up this thread - how rough is too rough? I've plotted a fantastic route which is about 100 km from Northallerton, or a bit overdistance from my likely start/finish point. Includes Thornton-le-Beans and other places with names nearly as good.

However - the track up Monket House Bank between Farndale and Bransdale is much rougher than I remember, as it's popular with 4x4s and scrambling bikes. It's safe to walk, but you'd have to be a very strong rider or on a MTB to ride it. I was overgeared and underskilled, but once up on top, it was glorious, despite the rain. The photos don't show the worst of the climb - it was pissing down, so I was reluctant to dig out my phone.

There's also a really tricky descent to the hidden valley of Bransdale:

However, after that it's pretty much ridable on anything, though narrow tyres would be a bit squirmy.

I'm tempted to put it on the calendar, and just give people loads of advice about alternatives to dodge the nearly-unridable bit between Farndale and Bransdale (which is pretty easy along quiet lanes, but longer and probably hillier). I reckon it'll live up to the Brevet Unpopulaire tag ;D

« Reply #115 on: 24 October, 2016, 11:52:14 pm »
Looks fine to me. Off-road audaxes don't have to be rideable on road bikes. In fact, I advise people not to use road bikes on mine.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

« Reply #116 on: 25 October, 2016, 01:00:30 am »
JayP and I just did my Off-Peak Return 200, which used all the Peak rail trails, twice.  There were about twenty miles of road in different bits to connect the trails.  It was claggy so we had to keep an eye on the time but generally the trails are fine in most weathers.  There's even a 1 in 8 on one of them!  There might even be a report in Arrivee soon about my 200 along Route 66, mostly canals and ex-rails.

I don't think you have to worry about times for a 100 do you?  So that looks like great fun.

« Reply #117 on: 25 October, 2016, 07:32:43 am »
JayP and I just did my Off-Peak Return 200, which used all the Peak rail trails, twice

Is there a map?

« Reply #118 on: 25 October, 2016, 09:05:56 am »

Also interested in the routes, Peter. As DIY GPS if they're not going to be calendar events.

« Reply #119 on: 25 October, 2016, 09:49:37 am »
Yes, there is a map; I'll dig it out for you later.

« Reply #120 on: 25 October, 2016, 10:11:08 am »

I don't think you have to worry about times for a 100 do you?  So that looks like great fun.

I'd set a minimum speed of 10 kph, and some might need it. It was great fun (at an overall average of about 15 kph including riding up Blakey Ridge from York), and everyone loves offroad climbs at gradients of 1:4, right? ;D

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #121 on: 25 October, 2016, 11:45:54 am »
Looks fine to me. Off-road audaxes don't have to be rideable on road bikes. In fact, I advise people not to use road bikes on mine.

Hi Cyclops,

Can you give us a link to your route please? I fancy a go over winter, and I was busy at the time you ran it.

Cheers, Dave C
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #122 on: 25 October, 2016, 01:32:47 pm »
Not my patch, but has anyone thought about using the road between Pontrhydfendigaid and Rhayader, via the Claerwen dam, on an audax?

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #123 on: 25 October, 2016, 03:13:05 pm »
Not my patch, but has anyone thought about using the road between Pontrhydfendigaid and Rhayader, via the Claerwen dam, on an audax?

Oh c'mon!! These are not real words/names surely??

;)
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #124 on: 25 October, 2016, 08:31:50 pm »
Deano that looks fantastic. I'd love to see more of this sort of thing on the calendar - maybe I should get off my put together a peak district route along those lines.

What sort of ratio of road / off road did you have?