Author Topic: Ferries and other bits you can't ride.  (Read 5399 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Ferries and other bits you can't ride.
« Reply #25 on: 07 March, 2019, 08:01:46 pm »
3 years! That makes Network Rail look quick.

It's a 32km defence keeping the north sea out on once side, and protecting millions of people from flooding on the other side. They aren't just resurfacing a cycle path, this is work to improve the 86 year old structure to better be ready for stronger storms and increases in sea level as climate change takes hold more and more. So yeah, 3 years is pretty good going really.

J
We need them at Dawlish!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #26 on: 07 March, 2019, 08:10:29 pm »
Ah, I'm now all teary-eyed* with memories of the Fishnish pish dish  ;D

*Not really.

That doesn't rhyme....

A rhyme? You wish!

« Reply #27 on: 07 March, 2019, 08:23:41 pm »

Ok, slight variation on these scenarios. If you had an Audax route that involved a ferry as the only viable option to get across a river, yet for reasons the ferry was out of service, if there were no bridges in a sensible cycling distance, would back tracking 10k to a station, taking a train across the river, getting off at the first station, cycling back to the ferry terminal on the new side of the river, and then continuing on with the route, be acceptable, if you made no claim for extra time, and just swallowed the extra distance, would this be accepted, say on a DIY (I'm assuming on a calendar event this would be tripping up a lot more people, and the org would likely have a view) ?

I can't imagine any possible objection to that. In fact I'd say you wouldn't necessarily need to visit either ferry terminal as long as the total distance ridden didn't decrease.

(c.f. A normal road closure, where there would be no obligation to ride all the way up to the "Road Closed" signs at both ends of the detour - just choose a sensible alternative route)

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #28 on: 07 March, 2019, 08:51:57 pm »
Ah, I'm now all teary-eyed* with memories of the Fishnish pish dish  ;D

*Not really.

That doesn't rhyme....

Maybe not, but it certainly does stir memories!

IMG_1403 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #29 on: 07 March, 2019, 09:02:06 pm »
IIRC, they also wanted to charge us for taking photos of the wild birds.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #30 on: 07 March, 2019, 09:03:36 pm »

IMG_1402 by The Pingus, on Flickr

;D

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #31 on: 07 March, 2019, 09:23:54 pm »

I can't imagine any possible objection to that. In fact I'd say you wouldn't necessarily need to visit either ferry terminal as long as the total distance ridden didn't decrease.

(c.f. A normal road closure, where there would be no obligation to ride all the way up to the "Road Closed" signs at both ends of the detour - just choose a sensible alternative route)

Ah yes. I'm conflating the TCR rules with borders you can't cross by bike. They require you to have a continuous cycling line, even if you have to take a bus for the actual border crossing...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #32 on: 07 March, 2019, 10:16:54 pm »

It's a 32km defence keeping the north sea out on once side, and protecting millions of people from flooding on the other side. They aren't just resurfacing a cycle path, this is work to improve the 86 year old structure to better be ready for stronger storms and increases in sea level as climate change takes hold more and more. So yeah, 3 years is pretty good going really.

J

As I understand the Dutch are currently reviewing all of their sea defences with a view to what predicted sea levels will be in 2080 and starting to plan the necessary work.  The UK is somewhat more haphazard in its planning.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Martin

« Reply #33 on: 08 March, 2019, 07:35:33 am »
The default event distance on Double Dutch is via the West Lynn ferry rather than the bridge.
I doubt anyone will get back quicker that way though...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #34 on: 08 March, 2019, 08:30:53 am »

This'll be the café at Fishnish then?
I've been there once, just off the first ferry, full of people going to the island for the same reason and the woman running it was having a major huff about the "bloody rally" which was the source of her entire custom that morning.

(Feeshneesh, although for some reason it's Mihshnish above Tobermory which doesn't seem to fit with Gaelic pronunciation rules but then they're written in Stornoway, just ask an Islay Gaelic speaker about it...)

« Reply #35 on: 08 March, 2019, 09:07:43 am »

Ok, slight variation on these scenarios. If you had an Audax route that involved a ferry as the only viable option to get across a river, yet for reasons the ferry was out of service, if there were no bridges in a sensible cycling distance, would back tracking 10k to a station, taking a train across the river, getting off at the first station, cycling back to the ferry terminal on the new side of the river, and then continuing on with the route, be acceptable, if you made no claim for extra time, and just swallowed the extra distance, would this be accepted, say on a DIY (I'm assuming on a calendar event this would be tripping up a lot more people, and the org would likely have a view) ?

Agreed. You'd need to mention the problem and what you did about it to the DIY Org, who would be looking for reasons to validate, rather than the opposite.

Martin

« Reply #36 on: 08 March, 2019, 06:50:55 pm »

J

+1

It's an amazing achievement (Lelystad is built on reclaimed land and named after the man who envisaged the whole thing)
And as you say built long before the floods which brought about the rest of the Delta Project