Author Topic: Cambrian Series Permanents  (Read 104811 times)

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Re: Cambrian Series Permanents
« Reply #100 on: 23 June, 2014, 06:02:26 pm »
Oops, commiserations.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #101 on: 23 June, 2014, 06:34:50 pm »
I fancy a foray into the Cambrians. Might start with the 2B. Could you post a route Caerau?

« Reply #102 on: 23 June, 2014, 06:55:26 pm »
Oops, commiserations.

thank you and also much solace was to then be found on return in pints of excelelnt ale @ Cornhill in Cwmddaudwr
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

caerau

« Reply #103 on: 23 June, 2014, 08:48:18 pm »
Yes, my fellow DNFer and I had a nice pint in Tregaron after our ride ended miserably, it does help to dull the pain  ;D

Here you go Gloverfan, this was my route http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5093400

I think I said somewhere above that I wouldn't personally recommend the bit through Painscastle nor the bit at the beginning (first big climb) - particularly the latter as the lanes are terrible, but then you might be (almost certainly) be better at climbing than me and Rabbit had a different perspective on the lanes  - so up to you  - and I hope you enjoy it more than I did (it's starting to grow fonder in my mind now)  :thumbsup:

[edit] Why do emoticons here now introduce random html after them these days...?
[edit2] That promptly vanish when you moan about them ::-)

« Reply #104 on: 23 June, 2014, 09:06:48 pm »
I fancy a foray into the Cambrians. Might start with the 2B. Could you post a route Caerau?

IMHO i consider you should start alphabetically  ;) ;)---- as the 2B is far too `easy` and the 2A a very good introduction to hills, pain, suffering and Wales (not that generically latter is linked to former attributes) and the section on 2A l`dod to Hay has some particularly entertaining ascents around the aptly named (for those of cycling fraternity) Painscastle  ;D

Whatever you do enjoy (and grimace)
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #105 on: 23 June, 2014, 09:07:47 pm »
Yes, that Chepstow to Abergavenny route is not the one i'd take. I'd go up past Llangwym on the Usk road and at Usk turn north towards Abergavenny. Only one significant climb and it is about 3% all the way.

From Talybont to Hay, I don't know the routes, so would be an adventure. Might pen this in for late July sometime.

Jamesbradnor, the 2B appeals because you can start in Chepstow. I only live 8 miles from there.

caerau

« Reply #106 on: 23 June, 2014, 09:19:13 pm »
Well if you want pain, why not start at A and go down from 10 ;)

The 10A looks particularly 'interesting' a mere 10 vertical miles of climbing I believe...

« Reply #107 on: 23 June, 2014, 09:28:15 pm »
2E this Friday is my pain.... Bwlch y Groes hard way--see jo`s report !!

caerau

« Reply #108 on: 23 June, 2014, 09:35:49 pm »
Good luck :) 
Yes she offered that to me as company but I didn't really have either the time or inclination last weekend (I got in enough trouble with HI starting at Chepstow yesterday!) - Bwylch y Groes calls to me from afar as I *do* like the challenge of climbing but... I'm just not capable yet (and i *do* mean *yet* - *is determined*)

« Reply #109 on: 23 June, 2014, 10:28:30 pm »
Sorry about your Wheel James, but hopefully not too expensive to fix? 

Glover Fan - I've not done the 2B so can't comment on whether it's a good one to start with, but I can definitely, whole heartedly, strongly recommend the 2A.  It is hilly, but without any real nasties like the Devils Staircase or Bwlch.  Pleasantly hilly and, like James says, a great intro to the Cambrians.  So many best bits on that one.  There's a ride report from me a few pages back if you can be arsked to read it  :thumbsup:

2E this Friday is my pain.... Bwlch y Groes hard way--see jo`s report !!

Ha!  Have, erm, fun??   ;)

TBH I think you'll really enjoy it.  It was a cracking route overall and the Bwlch was the only struggle for me, and it wasn't the best of days for my legs physically after a pretty intense few climby weeks and other factors.  I think if you have reasonably fresh legs you'll work hard up the Bwlch, but not to the point of 'please please make it stop' !! 

Where are you starting from?  If I was to do it again I'd be tempted to start from Llandiloes so I could finish with the magical stretch over from Knighton. 

Careau - I'd like to do the 2E again later in the year, or even the 100 that goes via the Bwlch - maybe you could come along then? I want to put a decent time in up it with fresh legs!
Does not play well with others

« Reply #110 on: 24 June, 2014, 07:00:39 am »
Where are you starting from?  If I was to do it again I'd be tempted to start from Llandiloes so I could finish with the magical stretch over from Knighton.

Starting @ Rhayader head up to Pant Y Dwr then to Llani , then around; R`yder start (slightly off shortest route)  adds about 10km but saves drive to / from start in Llani

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #111 on: 24 June, 2014, 08:41:19 am »
Yes, that Chepstow to Abergavenny route is not the one i'd take. I'd go up past Llangwym on the Usk road and at Usk turn north towards Abergavenny. Only one significant climb and it is about 3% all the way.

From Talybont to Hay, I don't know the routes, so would be an adventure. Might pen this in for late July sometime.

Jamesbradnor, the 2B appeals because you can start in Chepstow. I only live 8 miles from there.

+1 - this is the same route as the first leg of the Bryan Chapman and is usually reeled off at a relatively high speed by both ends of the peleton, the road has not been that busy, even when we did this in reverse on the Rough Diamond last year when it was about 2pm.  Painscastle is also more optional on the 2B than it is the 2A which goes from Llan'dod rather than Builth.  When I rode the 4D I rode through Glasbury and Boughrood and up the east side of the Wye Valley on the Hay - Builth leg.  I suspect that taking these two route would have saved you an hour.

PS - the 10A is 18000m of climbing or 11 imperial miles or 2 x Mt Everest plus a quick trip up the Shard.

Whilst thinking of the 4D:  Tregaron - Lampeter - Fishguard is a stunning leg on a summer evening as with the late evenings you get the sun shining on the north coast with the Presceli Hills on the left and Cardigan Bay on the right.  Worthwhile considering, although it is a constant rollercoaster.

Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

caerau

« Reply #112 on: 24 June, 2014, 09:49:48 am »
Yeah unfortunately for me I didn't check the track that carefully on the initial route, I was fully expecting to take the BCM route and was a bit disconcerted when I didn't recognise it.  I shall make sure I do that next time.
Painscastle was my own fault - I knew what I was letting myself in for there, I just thought I'd handle it better.  Still I got round so  wth :)
I'm recovering a bit now and starting to feel the benefits, I thoroughly enjoyed my commute this morning on the new Etap - whizzy speed on the flats of central Cardiff - it's just as quick as my BMC I reckon  :thumbsup:   Should be even quicker when the legs have fully recovered.

Those who've seen my Facebook pics will have seen the selfies where I tried to look cheerful.  My better half commented that in fact I look thoroughly pissed off  ;D   Pereceptive, I wasn't a happy bunny at that point  :sick:

I might be up for that Rabbit, not sure I'd be much of a companion to you on that ride, more of a burden slowing you up i think.  Get me on the flat, then I'll show you who's boss ;) ;);) I rather like the idea of a forum group perm you had earlier also :)

« Reply #113 on: 24 June, 2014, 01:43:35 pm »
+1 for forum group ride and +1 also for the 100 with Bwlch y Groes  ;D

« Reply #114 on: 24 June, 2014, 01:46:49 pm »
+1 for forum group ride, on the assumption I can sort my bike & fitness in time  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It's about time I met some real people  - even if I'd only see them until the first hill 8) 8)

caerau

« Reply #115 on: 24 June, 2014, 03:48:25 pm »
I will take pity and lead the autobus ;) ::-)

« Reply #116 on: 24 June, 2014, 04:29:27 pm »
I will take pity and lead the autobus ;) ::-)

but we will all shelter behind you as you churn out your 50x11 on teh (non-existent??) flats

caerau

« Reply #117 on: 24 June, 2014, 04:40:15 pm »
Lead all the way then - *smirk*  not

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #118 on: 26 June, 2014, 09:14:30 am »
FYI I will be in the Alps on a col-bagging expedition with Zigzag for the next week.  So any brevet cards or entries en route to me will take a week or two to turn around.  Apologies in advance for any delays.  Hope to still make the occasional post to provide updates  :thumbsup:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

caerau

« Reply #119 on: 26 June, 2014, 11:14:42 am »
No problem - thanks for the warning.

I see you've done mine already :)  Thankyou sir!

Enjoy the Alps  :thumbsup:

« Reply #120 on: 26 June, 2014, 11:17:08 am »
Yes, have a good time!

I am pondering the potential of squeezing in a 400 before the end of the season now.   :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

Bugloss

« Reply #121 on: 26 June, 2014, 02:49:08 pm »
Any chance you can get paypal entries sorted for these rides ?

« Reply #122 on: 27 June, 2014, 09:09:22 pm »
Any chance you can get paypal entries sorted for these rides ?

Why ?  ???

Colin`s been pretty quick with the old cheque and return brown envelope with brevet cards in it---just bulk order a few with a cheque, sae and enjoy their arrival in the post  :thumbsup:

Bugloss

« Reply #123 on: 27 June, 2014, 09:27:22 pm »
No UK cheque book anymore.

« Reply #124 on: 27 June, 2014, 09:33:26 pm »
No cheque book anymore.

oh---fair point !! postal order or carefully folded tenner ?