Author Topic: Cambrian Series Permanents  (Read 104821 times)

Bugloss

Re: Cambrian Series Permanents
« Reply #125 on: 27 June, 2014, 09:35:37 pm »
I was thinking of ordering the whole set in one go, so that I can do them at my leisure when I'm in the UK for work.

« Reply #126 on: 28 June, 2014, 08:37:38 pm »
After much to my surprise on day 2 actually surviving the blacksheep monster that was Mr Pickwick yn mynd i chwilio am ddreigiau and having messed up the peacocks and Kites with a a DNS I find that i am in need of a 300 to complete a Cymru SR.

As the 3 rides completed so far have given me 15 AAA points I do not think I have any need for further suffering in the hills and was thinking of going for the "easy" 3D as an option (no AAA points only 3000m of climbing).

Has any one got a route for this i can have a play with and / or any recomendations on routing given this skirts some busy areas at time.
Organising the Saddleworth Audax's on the 5th July 1015:
200K Bowland
170K Slaidburn
100K Widdop - includes a return up Cragg Vale

Come play in the Pennines with Saddleworth Clarion

« Reply #127 on: 02 July, 2014, 09:49:07 pm »
I'm thinking about the 2B for this weekend.

Careau is there any chance I could have your GPX route?   :)
Does not play well with others

« Reply #128 on: 02 July, 2014, 10:04:20 pm »
After much to my surprise on day 2 actually surviving the blacksheep monster that was Mr Pickwick yn mynd i chwilio am ddreigiau and having messed up the peacocks and Kites with a a DNS I find that i am in need of a 300 to complete a Cymru SR.

As the 3 rides completed so far have given me 15 AAA points I do not think I have any need for further suffering in the hills and was thinking of going for the "easy" 3D as an option (no AAA points only 3000m of climbing).

Has any one got a route for this i can have a play with and / or any recomendations on routing given this skirts some busy areas at time.

surely  not ? does not the thought of a Cymru AAA-SR entice you ?? ;D ;D
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #129 on: 03 July, 2014, 08:48:51 am »
Ok I seem to have developed a free weekend at the end of July (26/27) and am strongly considering this as a potential Cambrian 400 weekend. Anyone else interested?

« Reply #130 on: 03 July, 2014, 09:02:48 am »
Ok I seem to have developed a free weekend at the end of July (26/27) and am strongly considering this as a potential Cambrian 400 weekend. Anyone else interested?

I`d really like join you on this but have to go down to Plymouth that w/e so sadly can`t (if I could I surely would----and then be looking for a 600 again ?? )
Would do w/e after though
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #131 on: 03 July, 2014, 09:17:19 am »

I`d really like join you on this but have to go down to Plymouth that w/e so sadly can`t (if I could I surely would----and then be looking for a 600 again ?? )
Would do w/e after though

lol the reason I'm doing it that weekend is because I'm not going to Plymouth! Wanted to race 24:12 solo but all the solo spots are gone!

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #132 on: 03 July, 2014, 10:23:33 am »
A 400 is going to be a bit much for me.  I've only just calmed my loved one down after taking rather longer than I said on the 2B - I'm going to limit myself to 200s for the rest of the year I think (maybe the Rough Diamond as an exception).  One does occasionally have to balance the family life and I have rather spent a lot of time on the road this year - it is occasionally a bit unfair on her.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #133 on: 03 July, 2014, 11:29:06 pm »

Bala - Pwllheli - Bethesda - Llanrwst - Conwy - Mold – Prestatyn - Bala

Hasn't been done since I took over the rides in 2007.  As the routes are free I just put things into Google Maps and see what it comes out with.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #134 on: 03 July, 2014, 11:30:52 pm »
Any chance you can get paypal entries sorted for these rides ?

Will look into it.  Probably won't be for the next few weeks as having taken a week out of family life to go to the Alps for my 50th cycling will be a thoughtcrime.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Bugloss

« Reply #135 on: 04 July, 2014, 06:58:35 am »
Any chance you can get paypal entries sorted for these rides ?

Will look into it.  Probably won't be for the next few weeks as having taken a week out of family life to go to the Alps for my 50th cycling will be a thoughtcrime.

That's brilliant, but theres no rush whatsoever as I wasn't thinking of starting till November time.

« Reply #136 on: 04 July, 2014, 12:36:22 pm »

Yes. :)

« Reply #137 on: 04 July, 2014, 03:58:50 pm »
I am in possession of an empty 10A brevet card and was going to try and fill it in back end July/early Aug - prob mid-week and only if it isn't persisting down.  Will be dragging the caravan down to Llandrindod Wells to be basecamp.  I go slow (not out of choice!) and will be aiming for just a few hours sleep between loops with quite a lot of night riding.  I doubt that anyone else wants to ride and anyway I can't see how riders could stick together on a ride like that.  Just thought I'd mention it all the same.  Looks similar to doing 2 laps of the Swan with 2 necks - bit more climbing but shorter. 

It's my replacement ride for having my Grosse Bayern Rundfahrt plans ruined.

Win or lose, I'm planning an obscene amount of beer and unhealthy bbq food at the campsite afterwards.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #138 on: 04 July, 2014, 04:14:47 pm »
Not this year, but the 10A is certainly eating away at me as a concept.  I've also an eye on the 8A at some point.  Stupid amount of ascent in only 800km!

I look forward to hearing tales of beer and barbecues when you've done this Revellinho!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #139 on: 05 July, 2014, 07:47:07 am »

Really?  Awesome  ;D

The only thing that may put the kabosh on a Cambrian is doing a DIY 400 from home to Plymouth starting Saturday early.  You would, of course, be welcome to join me on that one.  It'll be pretty hilly via the FoD, Quantocks and Cornish Coastline :)

caerau

« Reply #140 on: 05 July, 2014, 12:39:16 pm »
Where are you thinking of doing this 400 Rabbit - I might consider designing a DIY or do another CS200 that coincides with it for a while...

« Reply #141 on: 05 July, 2014, 12:53:15 pm »
DIY org standing by...

« Reply #142 on: 05 July, 2014, 01:18:07 pm »

Really?  Awesome  ;D

The only thing that may put the kabosh on a Cambrian is doing a DIY 400 from home to Plymouth starting Saturday early.  You would, of course, be welcome to join me on that one.  It'll be pretty hilly via the FoD, Quantocks and Cornish Coastline :)

I'd only do a ride that I can ride to and from, so it'd have to start from the Welsh border (about 100 miles from home) and preferably on a Saturday morning for a 400 or possibly early Saturday afternoon.

Plymouth sounds good, but for me it would mean either a train ticket to get home, which would be too expensive for me, or would use up holiday from work, which I have very little of and would like to keep.
Unless I can find a very cheap train ticket from Plymouth to Milton Keynes that is.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #143 on: 05 July, 2014, 08:28:59 pm »
Charter a boat from Bude to Swansea and ride up to Aberdare.  You can do the 4F from there  ;D  And probably make Audax history. 

« Reply #144 on: 05 July, 2014, 09:05:06 pm »
Where are you thinking of doing this 400 Rabbit - I might consider designing a DIY or do another CS200 that coincides with it for a while...

July 26th/27th - I was going to solo 24:12 MTB race but all the places sold out.  The other half is racing it as part of a team so my current thinking is to leave Malvern very early Saturday, ride down via the FoD, Quantocks, Cornish Coast and get to the race and sleep until he gives me a lift back home.   :thumbsup:

DIY org standing by...

;D  I am plotting atm.....

I'd only do a ride that I can ride to and from, so it'd have to start from the Welsh border (about 100 miles from home) and preferably on a Saturday morning for a 400 or possibly early Saturday afternoon.

Plymouth sounds good, but for me it would mean either a train ticket to get home, which would be too expensive for me, or would use up holiday from work, which I have very little of and would like to keep.
Unless I can find a very cheap train ticket from Plymouth to Milton Keynes that is.

It would be starting from Malvern early on Saturday morning, but yes, I can understand the logistics problem.  I couldn't believe how expensive tickets were when I got one from York to Ipswich. 

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #145 on: 07 July, 2014, 06:33:00 am »
Cambrian Series should now be set up to enter via the website and Paypal.  However, I'm never convinced about things until they have been properly tested so let me know how it works and be prepared to fall back to a conventional process.

I've also put in possible start points on the website but, as always the rides can be started from anywhere on the route or marginally off it.

Bugloss

« Reply #146 on: 07 July, 2014, 07:56:26 am »
Cambrian Series should now be set up to enter via the website and Paypal.  However, I'm never convinced about things until they have been properly tested so let me know how it works and be prepared to fall back to a conventional process.

I've also put in possible start points on the website but, as always the rides can be started from anywhere on the route or marginally off it.

OK, I'll test it out for you now.

Bugloss

« Reply #147 on: 07 July, 2014, 08:04:42 am »
I wanted to have the cards at hand and do the rides when I can fit them in, but when I enter on line it wants me to fill out a date and I can't get any further if I try to leave it blank.

Plus the 6A has got some funny message about the price:

£To be confirmed Warning: number_format() expects parameter 1 to be double, string given in /srv/www/aukweb/aukcms/events/detail.php on line 261   ( £ when paying via PayPal.  )

Edit 1: It will let me enter if I put the date format as 00/00/2015 or 00/00/2016 etc. Would this be ok if I did the ride at any time in that year or shall I just do a bank transfer or paypal for the full set ?

caerau

« Reply #148 on: 07 July, 2014, 09:21:30 am »

I'd only do a ride that I can ride to and from...

Teethgrinder you disappoint.  If I thought I'd learned anything here in the last year and a half it's that you can ride to and from anywhere ;)

« Reply #149 on: 07 July, 2014, 01:29:51 pm »
I might ride the 2B starting from Chepstow on Saturday 19th July. Early 6am start.