Author Topic: Cambrian Series Permanents  (Read 104823 times)

Re: Cambrian Series Permanents
« Reply #650 on: 12 May, 2019, 09:28:20 pm »
As the 6C Super Randonnee starts and finishes in Knighton, you could always do the Cambrian 1B as a leg loosener before or after (Knighton - Clun - Newton - Llandrindod Wells - Knighton)  :o :o

I knew I'd regret asking  ;)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #651 on: 13 May, 2019, 05:11:49 pm »
I rode the 1B as the filling in a Dinner Dart + After Dinner Dart sandwich.  In January.  However, I do remember tucking into bonk rations 5km from home on the After Dinner Dart wondering if I had the strength to make it back.   :facepalm:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #652 on: 13 May, 2019, 05:45:16 pm »
Ha! I once bonked so hard I barely managed to climb the speed bumps on the otherwise pan-flat high street in Fleet, after taking no food on what I'd been told was a 2hr ride (it was 5).

Hoping to squeeze in a 200k AAA audax a couple of days after racing Gritfest in late June, before heading back to SE England. That's near Llandovery, so I had my eye on John Hamilton's Barcud Coch perm, but I'll check the Cambrian 200s out as well before deciding. Recommendations welcome!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #653 on: 13 May, 2019, 05:57:05 pm »
2C can be started and finished at Llandeilo and visits the far west - always worth a visit.
2A, 2B, and 2H all have Brecon as a control that can be a start / finish point. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #654 on: 13 May, 2019, 06:20:29 pm »
Thanks - more research to do!

« Reply #655 on: 13 May, 2019, 07:21:35 pm »
Have just entered CET's SR (6C). For planning I've put together the three routes shared by @The Long Rider (post#600, top of Page 25).
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29823510?beta=false

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #656 on: 13 May, 2019, 10:50:01 pm »
The SR rules require the route to be posted on Openrunner so that they can validate the climbing.  So if you login to Openrunner and search for Cambrian 6C you will see the official route. 

Beware that Openrunner underestimates the climbing.  Clearly there is some nationalistic bias in thinking that the UK cannot be that hilly.  It's best to assume your GPX will return 12,000m of ascent. 

Instructions, frame plate and brevet will follow, once I get a chance to visit a post office.  :thumbsup:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #657 on: 18 May, 2019, 11:17:29 am »
RWGPS routes have been posted for Cambrian series 1A to 1E.  The Cambrian routes are still free and so these are indicative routes and come with a health warning - I've curated the tracks rather than ridden them, but in most cases I have ridden the roads in the past, and I have also cross-checked the route to the Ordnance Survey maps and Google Streetview to check that the lanes are ridable (that is a fairly loose definition, just like some of the surfaces, but that is part of the charm of the Cambrian Series). 

You will notice some "features" especially on the 1B but also the 1E, that I have set the routes up (as these were my creations) based on my original shortest route intention.  These features involve riding the straight road that goes up a socking great hill and back down again rather than following the valley floor road that is flat but takes a slightly longer option.  You may wish to alter the route here, they are free, but don't blame me if you follow the GPS route blindly and take in a couple of gratuitous (very generously gratuitous) hills. 

The 1C is split into two tracks, inbound and outbound as it is an out and back route.  Some of the other events have short out and back sections, again, be warned if that gives your device some challenges, you may want to edit & split the track.

I haven't done anything with waypoints, points of interest or anything like that, so you will have to mark those yourself.  There's several reasons for this (apart from my fear of getting it wrong) primarily that you can start any Cambrian Series ride from any point on the route where you can get proof of passage (I started & finished the 4C in Caersws as it has a convenient rail station)

I will gradually work on the rest of the events, but if anyone has one they would like to prioritise - please let me know by return.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #658 on: 21 May, 2019, 05:24:05 pm »
Generously gratuitous is definitely how I'd describe them  :-D

It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #659 on: 21 May, 2019, 06:43:18 pm »
The SR rules require the route to be posted on Openrunner so that they can validate the climbing.  So if you login to Openrunner and search for Cambrian 6C you will see the official route.
Instructions, frame plate and brevet will follow, once I get a chance to visit a post office.  :thumbsup:
Thank you. All received. Openrunner link is: https://www.openrunner.com/ :thumbsup:
Recce'd (very) short parts of the route on the 600 to Anglesey last weekend and visited intended first overnight stop (Hafren Forest Bunkhouse).
Anyone else planning on riding the 6C as an SR some time before PBP? It and that will be the last pieces in an ACP Randonneur 10k jigsaw (since/starting March 2017).

« Reply #660 on: 21 May, 2019, 07:09:56 pm »
Anyone else planning on riding the 6C as an SR some time before PBP? It and that will be the last pieces in an ACP Randonneur 10k jigsaw (since/starting March 2017).

Same here. I’ve got a 1000km, the SR and PBP to complete the jigsaw. I’m riding the 6C from 2nd August. When are you riding?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #661 on: 21 May, 2019, 10:28:13 pm »
Same here. I’ve got a 1000km, the SR and PBP to complete the jigsaw. I’m riding the 6C from 2nd August. When are you riding?
Have PM'ed you.
Planning on stopping at Hafren Forest Bunkhouse (just off route near Staylittle @211km)) and at the Swallow Falls YH west of Llanrwst (check in @350km, do the 45km Llanberis loop and then (@395km) adjacent pub food and sleep). Slight downside to that plan is that it leaves a longish last day: about 214km.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #662 on: 24 May, 2019, 07:11:35 pm »
Cambrian 1A route fixed (Thanks Phil W).  Have now completed up to 1H.   I don't think I have enough bandwidth at my static caravan to work on things over the next week (but am not returning to THAT thread) but will do the 6C on Ride with GPS (its already on Openrunner) as soon as I can.

It looks like the pub at Hundred House has changed ownership or had a makeover and is now reliably open from 11 to 11, which makes controlling on the 1H a lot easier.

« Reply #663 on: 24 May, 2019, 11:07:49 pm »
I . . . will do the 6C on Ride with GPS (its already on Openrunner) as soon as I can.
In preparation for my Super Randonneur ride of the 6C have put together what I think reflects the Openrunner route on RwGPS here:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29823510?beta=false I will need to polish it up - cross checking 600k takes a while.
Two comments I have at this stage is that the Openrunner route goes on a bit beyond the Llanberis control, which I'm sure is not your intent (but adds 2km to all the distances after that). Or maybe there's a good cake shop at the north end of Llanberis. And the line of the Openrunner route does not go to General Picton's statue in Brecon.
I am also constructing a routesheet, inspired by 'that thread' which I'll share with you once complete - I've just got to Abergele!!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #664 on: 25 May, 2019, 04:00:08 pm »
Prediction:
(click to show/hide)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #665 on: 25 May, 2019, 06:06:46 pm »
Prediction:
(click to show/hide)
FTFY

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #666 on: 25 May, 2019, 06:15:32 pm »
 :thumbsup:

;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #667 on: 01 June, 2019, 08:25:11 pm »
I . . . will do the 6C on Ride with GPS (its already on Openrunner) as soon as I can.
In preparation for my Super Randonneur ride of the 6C have put together what I think reflects the Openrunner route on RwGPS here:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29823510?beta=false I will need to polish it up - cross checking 600k takes a while.
Two comments I have at this stage is that the Openrunner route goes on a bit beyond the Llanberis control, which I'm sure is not your intent (but adds 2km to all the distances after that). Or maybe there's a good cake shop at the north end of Llanberis. And the line of the Openrunner route does not go to General Picton's statue in Brecon.
I am also constructing a routesheet, inspired by 'that thread' which I'll share with you once complete - I've just got to Abergele!!

This is pretty close.  I've now set up a route on RWGPS: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29823510, admittedly with the assistance of a few glasses of 2006 burgundy.  I would check the descent into Glyn Ceirog.  I've also rerouted Caersws to Llanidloes to avoid the A470.  But as I'm unlikely to take the organisers option of a secret control (the idea of sitting by the side of a road in Wales for 24 hours in the off chance that a rider might pass doesn't appeal). 

There is a one way system in Brecon.  Looking closely you can probably walk about 10 metres to get to the statue!!!

« Reply #668 on: 01 June, 2019, 11:48:40 pm »
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29823510?beta=false
This is pretty close.  I've now set up a route on RWGPS: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29823510, admittedly with the assistance of a few glasses of 2006 burgundy.  I would check the descent into Glyn Ceirog.  I've also rerouted Caersws to Llanidloes to avoid the A470.  But as I'm unlikely to take the organisers option of a secret control (the idea of sitting by the side of a road in Wales for 24 hours in the off chance that a rider might pass doesn't appeal). 

There is a one way system in Brecon.  Looking closely you can probably walk about 10 metres to get to the statue!!!
I have checked the descent into Glyn Ceiriog: there are three options and the RwGPS trace reflects the Openrunner route. All are 'multiple-chevron' descents. The RwGPS trace also takes into account the Brecon one-way streets, though such detail in towns is best left to the randonneur, perhaps. I think Oliver suggested the Caersws-Llanidloes A470 stretch was the least enjoyable section of his ride.
I have completed the routesheet and will send it to you.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #669 on: 04 October, 2019, 10:49:07 pm »
6C has had its first successful completion this year, pending some validation issues due to a rain soaked smartphone.  By a rider from Japan. Am living an epic vicariously.  Which is a lot drier than doing it for real.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #670 on: 07 February, 2020, 12:04:53 pm »
Ride with GPS routes set up for Cambrian 3A https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31888390 and Cambrian 3B https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31888609.

Will be gradually working through the rest of them.  Will prioritise any special requests for upcoming rides.  As always, these are only indicative routes, you should inspect the route and conditions beforehand.

« Reply #671 on: 07 February, 2020, 01:21:06 pm »
I've now set up a route on RWGPS: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29823510, admittedly with the assistance of a few glasses of 2006 burgundy. 

I'm booked in for the Super Randonnée in mid-June, having had to postpone from last year due to work. Is the above route the best one to base my ride on?

I would still check this myself against the Open Runner route, but with Ajax Bay already having done that, I wouldn't expect to find anything of note.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #672 on: 07 February, 2020, 01:44:28 pm »
I've now set up a route on RWGPS: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29823510, admittedly with the assistance of a few glasses of 2006 burgundy. 

I'm booked in for the Super Randonnée in mid-June, having had to postpone from last year due to work. Is the above route the best one to base my ride on?

I would still check this myself against the Open Runner route, but with Ajax Bay already having done that, I wouldn't expect to find anything of note.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #673 on: 08 February, 2020, 10:22:34 pm »
All the Cambrian Series 100 and 200 routes are now on Ride with GPS as well as the 3A and 3B, with the route name as the title.  Anything authored by CrazyEnglishTriathlete are the ones to look for, I've seen a few alternatives that people have loaded over the years.

There are a few quirks - as Ride with GPS in cycling mode avoids main roads with ruthless tenacity  :demon: and in driving mode seems to be spooked by cattle grids like Devon Loch was spooked by the Melling Road  :demon: :demon:.  I've done the best I can.  They are free routes after all... :facepalm: :smug: :thumbsup:

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #674 on: 09 February, 2020, 08:24:47 am »
There are a few quirks - as Ride with GPS in cycling mode avoids main roads with ruthless tenacity  :demon: and in driving mode seems to be spooked by cattle grids like Devon Loch was spooked by the Melling Road  :demon: :demon:.  I've done the best I can.  They are free routes after all... :facepalm: :smug: :thumbsup:

for these cases there is a feature to "draw lines" (just under "follow roads"). let's say there is a hole in the fence that you want to go through. route to the fence, switch to "draw lines", draw a line across the fence, switch back to "follow roads" and continue plotting. to edit a segment, "add points" on both ends of it to prevent the algorithm  from re-routing a large section.