Author Topic: Cables freezing  (Read 5351 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Cables freezing
« Reply #25 on: 12 February, 2012, 01:58:20 pm »
Perhaps the condom solution has merit...  How hard would it be to molish silicone/rubber boots for bar-end shifters?  I bet there's an industrial switch/lever/joystick boot of about the right size out there somewhere that could be made to work.

« Reply #26 on: 12 February, 2012, 02:48:57 pm »
As always The Oracle is on the case, the quick release on the cables are truly awesome to behold   ;D, the experiment with beef dripping as a lube was not a success however, the trikie who used it was last seen going through Slough pursued by 237 dogs 23 cats and 5 RSPCA vans  :o.
       I found that despite GT85 through the Middleburn oilers I still had freezing problems, I changed to Makt lube (a slighter more oily lube) and a good squirt of Muc Off C3 lube into the twistgrip shifters through the cable replacement holes, result - silky smooth changing and braking down to minus 11 (so far).
        With the Middleburn oilers the problem lies with all the moisture and crap being driven to each end of the cable in this instance into the twistgrip, problem is sorted, save money and lube properly, more to spend in the pub  ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 12 February, 2012, 02:59:52 pm »
With the Middleburn oilers the problem lies with all the moisture and crap being driven to each end of the cable in this instance into the twistgrip, problem is sorted, save money and lube properly, more to spend in the pub  ;D

Is it possible to free up enough slack in the system (by shifting all the way up with the mech on the big sprocket) to remove the cable outer from the shifter, so the gunk goes elsewhere, without disconnecting anything?

« Reply #28 on: 12 February, 2012, 03:51:00 pm »
I spose you could do that by dropping it onto the smallest cog and easing the cable (the short bit by rear mech) out of its noddly bits, I am a bit of a gear coward.
       Thing is on the gear cables you should only have air moisture in the cable (?) so as long as you remember to drip a small amount of lube into the twistgrips there should be no problems.
     What think you
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #29 on: 12 February, 2012, 06:06:26 pm »
BTW - for anyone buying any, the colours aren't quite what you'd expect - the red's a bit dark..I almost bought gold ones but thought better of it 'cos that'd seem like being *too* much of a bike tart  ::-)

I wondered about the coloured ones, but in the end went with black, since it'll work with most frame and cable colours.  As you say, colours are often not what you expect and I've already got a rather pinky set of "red" water bottle cages, which weren't exactly the colour I expected (but were very cheap, so didn't worry me very much).
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #30 on: 21 February, 2012, 07:43:47 am »
Don't bother with all that cable oiling/greasing malarky. Just get teflon cables, Gore Ride-on. Ask GruB, they are the dog's particulars, and they won't freeze since water won't get in.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #31 on: 21 February, 2012, 12:54:33 pm »
How will they not get water in if the cable inlet outlet for the inner is pointing upwards at both ends?

« Reply #32 on: 22 February, 2012, 12:05:29 pm »
You could try HP Velotechniks SnakeSeals: http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/ueberuns/neuentwicklungen_e.html